RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
RKK

New Buyer - 2001(2?) Diplomat LE

I am currently looking at a Diplomat LE online. It is listed as a 2001 but the layout is clearly a 40PWD, so my guess is that it was built in 2001 for sale as a 2002. Does anyone have one of these, and can you confirm? Also I would like to hear from current owners of similar aged Diplomats as to potential expenses and repairs.

I have also been looking at Newmar Dutch Stars of the same vintage, but have noticed that the NADA is significantly higher for the Newmars. I was thinking that both Monacos and Newmars were of the same build quality.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

RKK

RKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

Smile Diplomat LE

We have an 01 38 ft, bought it 3 years ago with 24,000 miles, now have just over 40,000. We love it, plenty-for me-power, great floor plan, full body paint looks great. Most campground visitors assume it is much newar than it is thanks to the LE and full body paint. Depreciation is much less per year than a newer rig, no mechanical issues to date. We did install new Michelins as soon as we purchased it. Great rig, can't say enough good things about it.

ddahlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #3

when the coach was assembled in 2002 the 2002 body was built on a 2001 chassis.the coach is registered to the year of the chassis not the year it was assembled.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi

I bought a 2001 diplomat 38A in May 2012. It had 93k miles on it then. I just turned 105K miles. We live it. We had no major problems. We are leaving in 7 weeks for an 8 month trip out west. I have no doubt this rig will perform perfectly.
This is my first MH of any kind. I feel very lucky to have a monaco.
Happy Travels.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv
when the coach was assembled in 2002 the 2002 body was built on a 2001 chassis.the coach is registered to the year of the chassis not the year it was assembled.
This is not factual. The manufacturer of the completed coach assigns the year designation. In many cases, particularly with coach builders who purchase chassis from Freightliner and Spartan, stock up on chassis ahead of a major EPA change such as happened in the '07 and '10 model year. Most coaches built in those two years were on chassis built the previous year and the year on the title is the year the total unit was produced.

In the case of a Monaco brand, Roadmaster built the chassis and Roadmaster is owned by Monaco. On some occasions, Monaco would make some changes to a model late in a model year when they were making that change in the next model year. Those changes were never reflected in the marketing literature.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKK
I am currently looking at a Diplomat LE online. It is listed as a 2001 but the layout is clearly a 40PWD, so my guess is that it was built in 2001 for sale as a 2002. Does anyone have one of these, and can you confirm? Also I would like to hear from current owners of similar aged Diplomats as to potential expenses and repairs.

I have also been looking at Newmar Dutch Stars of the same vintage, but have noticed that the NADA is significantly higher for the Newmars. I was thinking that both Monacos and Newmars were of the same build quality.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

RKK
I forgot to comment on the valuation part of your question. In '01 I would say the Monaco and the Newmar were in a similar price range. The "off the line" build quality were also comparable. The retail version of NADA is not as accurate for motorhomes as automobiles and it takes some research to get a feel of price ranges. It's also possible a Monaco could be discounted more because The old Monaco who built that coach is no longer in business. However, Navistar still offers parts and tech support on all the old Monaco built coaches. Could make the Monaco a particularly good value.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. I have no problem getting parts from Monaco. I got my diplomat for $35K. In great condition and a great deal.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #8

Bought a Diplomat LE new in 01. Had it 4 years and put 72k mi on it. Had every option wih full body paint and Banks Turbo. Worked great, only significant problem was bad exhaust manifold gasket @ 52 K mi.

Good coach and great support from Monaco. Bought a new Dynasty in 05. Better mileage on the Diplomat.

Libero is offline   Reply With Quote