Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

New Coach "yikes"

my good friend had a stroke 1 year ago. we were hoping he would get better, but it hasn't happened. His wife didn't want to go though the sales process, so i bought it at retail price.

Its a 40' 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter with a 330 cummins, diesel gen. 79000 miles.
- Its been sitting for 1 year. plugged in, and started 2 or 3 times that year, but not driven.

"So I bought it, without listening to my wife of 40 years." If i cant get this thing going, it's going to be a rough "next 40."

Driving it home, i got stopped by the Popo "which i appreciate" because the entry steps were out. Made it home without ripping them off or hurting anyone else.

So. Now the issues that i can figure out.
1. the steps are intermittent.
2. there is no power to the 110v receptacles through out the coach, on shore power, or the genset. A/C's will work. "I tried resting the breaker in the back."
3. Front tv will not come on.
4. the carefree awning will not go in and out without physical assistance.
5. Fridge will not stop beeping. "no A/C" unless i unplug the 12v power inside the panel.

thanks for any advice assistance, dale

PS. I'm a ex F-16 avionics tech, so i'm going to attempt the repairs myself.
dale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1 View Post
my good friend had a stroke 1 year ago. we were hoping he would get better, but it hasn't happened. His wife didn't want to go though the sales process, so i bought it at retail price.

Its a 40' 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter with a 330 cummins, diesel gen. 79000 miles.
- Its been sitting for 1 year. plugged in, and started 2 or 3 times that year, but not driven.

"So I bought it, without listening to my wife of 40 years." If i cant get this thing going, it's going to be a rough "next 40."

Driving it home, i got stopped by the Popo "which i appreciate" because the entry steps were out. Made it home without ripping them off or hurting anyone else.

So. Now the issues that i can figure out.
1. the steps are intermittent.
2. there is no power to the 110v receptacles through out the coach, on shore power, or the genset. A/C's will work. "I tried resting the breaker in the back."
3. Front tv will not come on.
4. the carefree awning will not go in and out without physical assistance.
5. Fridge will not stop beeping. "no A/C" unless i unplug the 12v power inside the panel.

thanks for any advice assistance, dale

PS. I'm a ex F-16 avionics tech, so i'm going to attempt the repairs myself.
1. The steps are usually controlled by a magnetic switch on the door jamb. Sometimes there is too large of a gap or the switch wiring is loose.
2. Look for GFCI outlets throughout the coach. Each one of these will control other outlets downstream. You may have two or three somewhere.
3. Check the circuit breakers on your inverter. The TV circuits are often powered by an inverter that passes power when on shore or generator and the breakers trip.
4. Sounds like a failing motor or low voltage.
5. Related to your other outlet problem. The "No AC" code means it is not receiving 120v power.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Look for popped gfi outlet somewhere. Find breaker panel and check all. Get your outlets on and I bet the fridge stops complaining. Front tv won't work if ignition is on or engine running, or maybe part of outlet issues. Sounds like a fun project! DW may come to enjoy it yet!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #4

Thanks Dan. I will go look for that now. Yes. I meant to say. Most of the wall outlets or the ones i could find do not have 110 volts present. thanks again. dale
Old 08-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #5

thanks zigzag. I will go and look for that now. gotta make that woman happy dale
Old 08-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dale! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig!

Those problems don't sound too serious.

When steps aren't used for a while they can get "cranky". I would first try spraying all the moving parts with silicone lubricant and running them in and out a few times. Don't use WD40!

As for the AC outlets, I too would suspect breakers on the converter.

If all the other AC outlets are not working then the outlet for the front TV probably won't be either. It will be connected to an outlet that is shut off when the engine is running, and the relay circuit that shuts it off could be malfunctioning. Try running an extension cord directly from shore power to the TV.

I don't know about the awning. Ours is manual.

As for the fridge, that outlet may be dead along with all the others.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tough way to buy a new to you rig! Doesn't seem to be any major problems, just some lack of maintenance and circuit tracing.
Hope your next 40 go OK!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If resetting the GFIs does not solve your problems... The inverter in a basement bay has two breakers (hard to see/find) that needs pushed back in.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #9

Success. "so far" i found a gfci breaker next to the vacuum box, in one of the basement areas. that seemed to provide power to the outlets in the coach.
tv will not come on? but the satellite dish and directv box woke up

she is still not impressed, but if i can get the tv working without spending money, it will be a 1st down. I thought i would let her vacuum while i acted like i was reading something important in the manual. maybe i can talk her into wearing a bikini while working.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you still don't have AC power to the fridge, then I would suspect the inverter. Most fridge outlets are not on a GFCI circuit, but would probably go through the inverter.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Also for your awning, try lubricating (silicone not WD40) the tracks on the side of the MH and every place there is a joint.

I thought I had a motor problem in my awning as it would not retract if fully extended and I would have to work it up a quarter inch at at time, then back out and up again until it was in about 7 inches and then it worked fine. Had an RV tech look at it, he came back with a can of silicone spray and sprayed everywhere! Works great now, felt foolish as I had only sprayed the joints and not the track on the wall.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1 View Post
Success. "so far" i found a gfci breaker next to the vacuum box, in one of the basement areas. that seemed to provide power to the outlets in the coach.
tv will not come on? but the satellite dish and directv box woke up

she is still not impressed, but if i can get the tv working without spending money, it will be a 1st down. I thought i would let her vacuum while i acted like i was reading something important in the manual. maybe i can talk her into wearing a bikini while working.
Brother you are treading on thin ice! Good luck with the bikini thing!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #13

^^^^My wife of 36 years (in a row) has to take her top off before she yells at me! Good luck!

You'll have that minor punch list resolved in no time. Get her one of those Lakeside Collections or similar mail order catalogs to flip through. They have all kinds of stuff in there that you can make use of in a motorhome that sees part time use. (Throw rugs, sheets, bedspread, pots/pans, utensils, and assorted other knic-knacs.

Prices in those catalogs are usually fair. Admittedly there is also a bunch of junk (think Harbor Freight for women) sold in those catalogs.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #14

On my coach the original refrigerator did not run through the inverter because it can be powered by either 120 volts or LP gas. Behind the refrigerator there are two circuits. One for the refrigerator on a separate breaker and a second circuit for the ice maker. The ice maker circuit is powered from the inverter. Maybe someone plugged the refrigerator in to that circuit.