Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #1

New Flooring in living room.....and under slide.....EEK

Hey Guys,
I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend! I know we did(see the photo below)!

We are embarking on new floors in out 2000 Monaco Diplomat.......Starting from where the hallway meets the kitchen through the front of the coach. We have decided on Vinyl Planks and would like to know if there is anything I should look out for or let the installer know.

He thinks that they should be glued down......Does this sound right, I know people have done it both ways and would love to hear what people think the right way is and why.

We are also removing tile in the kitchen and am wondering if we will need to shim the floor up to allow for rollers height to be sufficient.

It's a little nerve racking to be having this done, as I don't want it to cause any problems down the road. Any and all advice and experiences you have had would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

Lake Michigan - Algoma, WI 5/30/17
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Nice view!
Poormarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM   #4

I just replaced all the flooring in our 2006 Patriot Thunder. The subfloor was the worst cheap particle board they could buy. Not much wonder most of the tiles came off.

I put down a plywood subfloor, then laid a commercial vinyl flooring - it is used in hospitals and the like and is certified for marine use (non slip).

Combined the vinyl and subfloor are slightly lower than the tile was.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I just replaced all the flooring in our 2006 Patriot Thunder. The subfloor was the worst cheap particle board they could buy. Not much wonder most of the tiles came off.

I put down a plywood subfloor, then laid a commercial vinyl flooring - it is used in hospitals and the like and is certified for marine use (non slip).

Combined the vinyl and subfloor are slightly lower than the tile was.
Great! Did you glue it down or float it?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfreeman View Post
Great! Did you glue it down or float it?
Glued down. Forgot to take pictures as we were working on some other things as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Glued down. Forgot to take pictures as we were working on some other things as well.

Great, That's what we decided on as well. Do you have any problems with the slide rollers leaving indentments or anything like that?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi, I did our 02 Diplomat 2 years ago vinyl plank front to rear but not he tiles. Vinyl plank should not be glued I was told by the store. Vinyl plank will contract and expand , depending on the climate you are in. You will have small gaps at some seams if the temperature change is drastic like ours ( high 80's summertime to -20's winter ) I installed at approx. 50 deg. in the fall and have no gaps now at 65 -75 deg.F
Once the carpet is out you'll have to build up the floor by the thickness of the carpet and underlay to have the proper level for the slides .
this is not weekend job but when it's done it's much nicer than carpet and DW loves the ease of cleaning.
No Stress Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

We had to put down subfloor, it helped with the bad surface from the cheap particle board subfloor, and it brought the height of the vinyl up near where the tile and carpet had been.

I have only pulled in the slides once and haven't had them out yet. I'll have the coach up from storage on the weekend and will report then.

BTW we used full sheet flooring, not planks.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #10

Got the coach to the house today to put it back in order and get it into a diesel shop tomorrow. Took a few pictures. I notice that the middle of the large slide now bounces, so I'll put something under it when we travel to brace it. I think the carpet used to provide a little assistance.

Special view with the motorhome on its roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3197.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	164088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3199.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	164089  

Tags