Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #85

I used a very similar strip in a hallway in a house. Broke it twice during install, but the bigger problem was that the act of walking on it ended up breaking it in many places over the next two months. Eventually replaced it all.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I used a very similar strip in a hallway in a house. Broke it twice during install, but the bigger problem was that the act of walking on it ended up breaking it in many places over the next two months. Eventually replaced it all.
Thanks for the warning. I was afraid of that, the material seems unforgiving and brittle.

I like the look of the transition piece so if the fastening system fails I probably just glue it down.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:53 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, you mentioned your firewall.... I ripped the carpet off mine and replaced with a couple pieces of flooring simply attached to the plywood backing with a couple hidden screws along the top. Fit good enough that I didn't even feel the need to add trim at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220110_054500096.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	353490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220110_054514553.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	353491  

Name:	IMG_20220110_054524634.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	353492  
Old 01-10-2022, 09:00 AM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Jim, you mentioned your firewall.... I ripped the carpet off mine and replaced with a couple pieces of flooring simply attached to the plywood backing with a couple hidden screws along the top. Fit good enough that I didn't even feel the need to add trim at the bottom.
Hadn't gotten that far, I was waiting to see how much I had left over and whether its worth the effort. At least that carpeting doesn't get too dirty and might add some insulating value.

I am glad I ripped the carpeting off the engine hatch in front of the closet and bed box. Turned out pretty good.
Still waiting on the corner step trim, suppose to be in tomorrow at Lowe's for store pickup. Hope they aren't leading me on. The price for the matching trim is ~$5/ft. And unless you want to add short pieces on some runs it takes quite a bit. If it lasts it will be worth the cost and effort.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Back when I did mine, Lowes did not stock the transition and trim pieces in my flooring color so I went with the aluminum trim instead. The matching stuff you are using definitely looks nicer than my aluminum.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
They only stocked the floor transition pieces, had to go to 2 stores to get that. I had to order the step transition which I am still waiting on.

Man, I'm getting old. Put the seats back in the motorhome and had a hard time getting them in by myself. Years ago I wouldn't have thought twice and just lifted them in without a problem. (My dad called me a bull in a china cabinet, built like a brick SH!) Took me a couple tries to get the drivers side in. Decided to take the arm rests off the passenger side which made it easier, still took some effort on my part but made it much easier.

So I got everything else buttoned back down so I can kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel (hope it's not the train)!!
Old 01-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
I finally got the four pieces of stair edging and spent this morning fitting the pieces. Good news is that it looks really good, matches the flooring and everything fit together pretty good. Bad news is that I needed one more piece to finish all the small sections on the slide floor, bed box, and engine hatch.

Cutting the corners to get a good fit took time. I measured 3 times, cut once and fine tuned each piece. Here's pictures of the stair well. I also did the engine hatch but I've got all the pieces glued down and wedged into position and need a couple small pieces to finish it.

Overall I'm pleased with the way everything turned out. I've spent ~$1500 in material. I could have saved by using a cheaper laminate and different trim pieces but the extra cost made the job turn out pretty darn good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor Stair trim.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	353802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Stair trim from above.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	353803  

Old 01-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Here are a couple pictures of the bedroom and engine hatch cover. Only need a couple of small pieces installed, got everything back in place, just have to clean up a little in the front end.
Other then that I'm going to put this project in the "complete" file.

Overall turned out pretty good. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor engine hatch with step trim.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	353860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor closet front.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	353861  

Name:	Floor Bedroom bed box.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	353862  
Old 01-16-2022, 02:53 AM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
Nice work!
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:31 PM   #94

Jim,
Did you cut out around where the captain chairs mount so they mount flush and bolt down to the subfloor vs. going threw the laminate flooring? I have my rig all gutted and ready to start laying the laminate but unsure how I should go about the captain chairs.
Thanks, Marvin
Old 01-16-2022, 05:08 PM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinr1 View Post
Jim,
Did you cut out around where the captain chairs mount so they mount flush and bolt down to the subfloor vs. going threw the laminate flooring? I have my rig all gutted and ready to start laying the laminate but unsure how I should go about the captain chairs.
Thanks, Marvin
The bases for my captains chairs were elevated above the floor so I allowed ~1/4" gap all the way around the base to allow for the expansion of the flooring. Once the floor was down the base was still slightly above the top of the finished floor. With the captain chair in place you can't really even see the base without getting down on the floor

Here's a picture if you can make it out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor front almost done.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	353971  
Old 01-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #96

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your work looks great. I also used the SmartCor product from Lowes when I repaired my floor and removed the carpet. One tip though, if you have to replace OSB subfloor, consider using a 3/4" PVC board (4'x8' sheet) in lieu of OSB. It will never rot again in that area and is really good with sound dampening. I also laid 1/8" coroplast panels as the underlayment for the floor so that it too would not absorb any water or moisture that got thru the SmartCor flooring.
Iceking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceking69 View Post
Your work looks great. I also used the SmartCor product from Lowes when I repaired my floor and removed the carpet. One tip though, if you have to replace OSB subfloor, consider using a 3/4" PVC board (4'x8' sheet) in lieu of OSB. It will never rot again in that area and is really good with sound dampening. I also laid 1/8" coroplast panels as the underlayment for the floor so that it too would not absorb any water or moisture that got thru the SmartCor flooring.

I ended up using a piece of treated 3/4" plywood which I painted with an exterior primer. I was able to pretty much salvage the vapor barrier and glued it back onto the bottom of the plywood using construction adhesive, using a foam paint roller to push it back onto the plywood after I fastened it down. Seems to have stuck pretty good.

I also went underneath and sprayed Flex Seal on any areas I thought might have holes.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Finally Done

Finally got the last couple pieces of trim today and was able to finish the flooring.

Overall the project went better then I expected, although it took longer due to the delays on waiting on the trim pieces. I would have been done ~3 weeks ago but selecting a flooring where they didn't stock the trim pieces caused the delay. Here's a picture of the front, I even took the time to clean the captain chairs and lounger.

Now onto the next project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor Front Finished.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	354773  

Tags
floor, flooring