Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

New Flying J Discount

Pilot RV Plus
This is a new program from Good Sam and the J. .06 is not a huge discount but far better than before. Please do not turn this into a discussion of high fuel prices or why I hate the J. If you are interested just go to the link.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

So does the old non-credit card Fuel Advantage card still give you a discount per gallon? What happens if you combine the two? I wonder if you get both discounts?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Mike: That would only work if you believe in the tooth fairy! I wish we could use both but I really doubt it.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Well I get the small discount now with a Flying J Fuel Advantage card now and I get the 5% cash back reward with the Pentagon federal Credit Union Rewards VISA card now so I guess I believe in the tooth fairy some. That Flying J credit card is offering more back than the Pentagon Card.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I just submitted an application and will see how it works. My current rewards card is Points to spend at Amazon.com, so this will be differnet and we will see which gets used the most.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Well I get the small discount now with a Flying J Fuel Advantage card now and I get the 5% cash back reward with the Pentagon federal Credit Union Rewards VISA card now so I guess I believe in the tooth fairy some. That Flying J credit card is offering more back than the Pentagon Card.
Their example at $3.50 in the link

$3.50 credit price
$3.44 cash price
$0.03 FJ Value Card discount
$0.17 PenFed 5% of $3.41
$3.24 with Pen Fed vs $3.38 with the GS card

Hmmm did I miss something?? Not really new tooth fairy??
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

Mike, do you fuel at truck island or rv island? I always fuel at truck, so pay inside, and understood PenFed discount wouldn't work so haven't applied for it.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
so, just went there. they want SS# NOT!!! also want you to sign up for some kind of auto pay system.NOT!!!!!!! another co. trying to get deeper in yer pockets
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
That Flying J credit card is offering more back than the Pentagon Card.
I think you need to do some recalculating. The new RV Plus card increases the .03 per gallon discount to .06 for a deluxe GS member. At say $3.50 per gallon, that's less than a 2% discount. Pen Fed is 5% as long as the card is swiped at the pump. The big thing that the RV Plus card brings to the table is it is a charge card that will allow you to not only start the pump, but also pay for the fuel even at the truck pumps. Of course that means no 5% Pen Fed discount, but makes it really convenient for those that choose to use the truck pumps. Keep in mind this is a charge card and not a credit card, so it has to be paid in full at the end of each month. If you choose to pay online after receiving your bill then your maximum charge amount is $1,000. If you choose automatic payment from your checking account then the maximum is $2,500.

The program is obviously not for everyone as there are pros and cons to it.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If AMEX ever changes their rules and I loose my 5% cash back for fuel, I might consider this card to purchase fuel. The low credit line would be a PITA. As for now, I'll keep the PFJ card I've been using and use my AMEX card to pay for the fuel.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If we were to turn this into what I don't like about Flying-J it would be a short thread.

Seriously. that looks like a credit card (Said Credit card on it) and those. I do not have in my pocket any more.. I do carry a couple of debit cards though.

Folks, if you drive a gasser.. Here is a tip.

If you plan on buying 100 bucks worth of gasoline, and you happen to be near a wall mart with a Murphy's. Go into the Wall mart, if you have one hand the cashier your Wall Mart gift card (If you don't have one they cost 3 bucks and are good forever) and your hundred dollars. She puts the cash on the card.

Now go pull up to the pump Look at the price, stick the card in, pull it out, and look at the price again.. You might notice something like (Old price)-$0.10=(Now price)

Yup, 10¢ off per gallon when you use a gift card.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Seriously. that looks like a credit card (Said Credit card on it) and those. I do not have in my pocket any more.. I do carry a couple of debit cards though.
Look at it a little closer. Says Charge Card right under RV Plus. Here's the first point under the details:
Not a credit card - payment due in full every month
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Supposedly there is going to be a 10¢ discount for us Charter Lifetime Good Sam members coming too. That was announced by Marcus Lemonis at the Redmond Good Sam rally.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #14

I would bet that the J will do away with the discount using the old card or maybe not give you the cash price. When you use that Penfed card at any station the station have to pay an extra fee as it is considered a premium card. As a Canadian I cannot get the Penfed card so this new deal looks alright. For the poster that would not give his SS#. You cannot get credit from any legit bank or store without giving your SS# so why should the J be different. Everyone has different circumstances and not all credit cards are created equal. Caveat emptor.
2009 Silverado Toad