RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New here

Well, looks like you guys and gals are stuck with me now .
New to pushers, not new to Class A's, ( I've owned a gas 36' National Dolphin for the last 4yrs ).
Recently purchased a '08 42' Holiday Rambler Scepter, with, I think , every bell and whistle, there is.
First question of many, it has air leveling, no jacks. My driveway is on a slight downhill. With my gas coach I left pluged in to 15a, and kept the fridge running. Will 15A on a hundred foot extension, be enough power to keep the systems ( converter/charger etc ) fridge running on this beast, and will it be ok to leave the bags aired up and level, for say 3 months without starting the engine ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Next question , it has a Aqua hot 450, which I know absolutely nothing about .
I live in a wet climate, a couple of hundred miles north of Seattle. With my previous coach, I would winterize the plumbing, and run a home size dehumidifyer on a timer in it.
Wondering if it would be better to forget winterizing and run the aqua hot at about 40deg all winter? Would I be wearing this thing out .

Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Well, looks like you guys and gals are stuck with me now .
New to pushers, not new to Class A's, ( I've owned a gas 36' National Dolphin for the last 4yrs ).
Recently purchased a '08 42' Holiday Rambler Scepter, with, I think , every bell and whistle, there is.
First question of many, it has air leveling, no jacks. My driveway is on a slight downhill. With my gas coach I left pluged in to 15a, and kept the fridge running. Will 15A on a hundred foot extension, be enough power to keep the systems ( converter/charger etc ) fridge running on this beast, and will it be ok to leave the bags aired up and level, for say 3 months without starting the engine ?
Was that cheaper than fixing your leaking jacks? 15a will do fine to keep what you need going in the driveway. Where the problem may come in is if you decide to use close to the 15a via a 100ft cord. Most of these are only 14 ga, which will have a voltage drop and will heat up. I have a 100 ft cord I use only if necessary, but it is a 12 ga. A few times I need to run the AC (only, which is 14a) it still heated up. However, keeping batts charged and running the fridge, you'll be fine.

What are air bags and an aqua hot Be sure to unsubscribe from the National forum, you trader
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

Hello Sir,

We have a 2008 HR Scepter 42' PDQ. Air only levelling and 450 AH.

You obviously have some expierence Rving so you already know most of this stuff is common sense;

The cleaner the power you can provide to the coach the better. So that means big cord - lots of power - All the better. Your extension cord could work but remember over any great length by the time it gets to the coach and reduced through a adapter its probably still not 15Amp!

For all intents and purposes I might suggest that you use the house and chassis disconnects and then just periodically charge your batteries. Of course you still have to keep them protected from freezing.

For the Air levelling, the coach is fine left fully inflated on the 10 bags. In "AUTO" mode the system will power on from time to time to keep level. This is when the system is using the small compressor in the front cap for air supply to the bags. I recommend powering the levelling system off for storage though as the small compressor on the front may not be able to contend with the slope of your driveway.
IMHO.........:
Most tire manufacturers sill recommend off loading all unnecessary weight from the coach to reduce the load on the tires and use max air pressure for storage. Park your tires on plywood and protect them from UV light.

For the Aqua Hot, its really easy to winterize, I can't really see why you would want to run it while in storage, plus you need good power to do that...... I did our new to us Scepter last fall and it was NO BIGGEE. Just remember to do the house water lines to and from the aqua hot. Otherwise BIG $$$ to fix freeze damage. You should do the fuel filter and check the burner nozzle as part of your spring start up anyways. So It won't be hurt to sit.
Don't let the Aqua Hot intimidate you, its a spectacular system and with the proper care its the greatest. There are a number of guru Aqua Hot members on the forum should you have any specific questions.

I have created a "Winterize" checklist that is specific to the Scepter. Let me know if you want it. The whole process can be done by a DIY in just a couple of hours.

Sincerely
Adam H

PS. Don't forget to winterize your washer and dryer too.

In Canada we are lucky enough to keep our Scepter indoors. I keep it plugged into 50 Amp. Fully winterized. Both Disconnects off. Batteries in but heated with 2 100 watt lightbulbs!!

Oh I know I'm going on and on so sorry! But I exercise my coach every 2 weeks. That means when the weather cooperates and the roads are dry I take it out for a good run. I avoid starting the engine unless I'm going to run the Cummins and the Allision up to full operating temperature.

Adam
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Was that cheaper than fixing your leaking jacks?

What are air bags and an aqua hot Be sure to unsubscribe from the National forum, you trader
I'm REALLY, REALLY, REALLY lazy .

Dont worry, I'll still be checking in on The National board. You cant get rid of me that easy !
Old 09-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Adam, Ive read some of your posts. It sounds like we own the same rig .
I do have a 30A hookup outside the house, so I could run a AC on the Dolphin. Guess I will just use that. My drive probably will drop about 6" on the length of the coach, I'll likely just continue to drive the front wheels up onto blocks, to make it level enough for the refridgerator.
By the way, do you know if the 270" wheelbase is to the drive axle, or tag ?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

270" is to the drive axle. I think its @ 312" to the tag. I guess they are using the 270" for the specs because you now have a tag to lift!!

We have found there are lots of small things that come up on these units, but now that they have been in service for a number of years those faults are very predictible plus as you already know there are lots of great members here to help out when they happen.

Enjoy the new coach!

Adam.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Yeah, my Dolphin had a tag as well, but did'nt unload, never mind lift.
The tag's on this chassis definatly raises off the ground? The salesman was'nt sure, and I have'nt picked the coach up yet, to find out for myself.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

One more question
When I go to pick it up, it will be empty except for a tank of fuel, and what ever water is in it. I've emptied the Dolphin at home.
It has the original tires, I think Goodyear 295's.
What kind of air pressures should I be looking at?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Yes the tag will fully lift, albiet not a foot in the air like a road tractor but at least you can spin the tag tires. It will really make a difference backing into tight sites.

Most of the new FL and Spartan tags are release only.

FYI - Don't forget to put your tag back down before you level.

Adam.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

Ok, well that's a really subjective question;
I'm not sure what type of floorplan you have or with what options/upgrades but this is what I had during my last weigh with full camping gear and supplies. Full fuel and 1/4 tank of water, full propane and no passengers.

Steer: 13,250
Drive: 15,000
Tag: 7,500 at 48 PSI. (Remember its adjustable and will change all the numbers!!)

I run Goodyear 295's on the drive and tag set the pressures at 85 PSI.
Michelin 315's on the steer set at 100 PSI. (I really like having the 315's on the front. The tires pressure are limited because you are putting them on 8.25 rims but here is the good news......The Michelins will carry more weight than the Goodyears at a lower pressure! = Better ride!)

Remember you really do need to put it across a scale and then set you pressures accordingly. Try to find a scale that will let you do multiple weighs as you will likely need to adjust the tag pressure to get the weights you want. And don't forget to cycle the tag up then back down after adjusting the pressure to get a accurate reading!

Adam
Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post

FYI - Don't forget to put your tag back down before you level.

Adam.
Sounds like I'm going to need post-it notes stuck all over this thing !
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #13

Good to know, thanks ,

It should be the same floorplan as yours, as it's a PDQ as well.
It has the tile floor from front to bedroom. Actually, the only option I know for sure it does'nt have, is the second sliding tray in the basement.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #14

Ok, after re-reading the HR brochure for this coach, my salesman was right, it does have disc front brakes. I thought he was just confused from being in and out of different coaches all day, but now I've read it in black and white .
So my question is, is this a air acctuated calipers, or hyd, or a combination of the two ?