RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New House Battery Needed

I have 2 12v Interstate 31-MHD (CCA 950 and RC 195) cranking/chassis batteries, age unknown. One has gone bad (~ 9v unloaded and less than 2v under tester load), while the other is in good health.

The 4 coach/house batteries all are in good health, vintage 2017. I have no records since that was before my ownership time, but the cranking batteries 'may be' the same age as these coach ones (similar amounts of dust & dirt on all of them).

What is the current thinking for favorite replacement regular SLA cranking batteries?

And I think I know the answer already, but can I get away with just replacing the bad one or must I go with 2 new ones?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Most likely, if there are a pair of batteries, they're wired in parallel. Best practice replaces them as a pair, keeping them as closely matched as possible, e.g. same mfr, model, date of mfr, etc. Otherwise, they charge at different rates. As batteries age, the internal resistance changes. If you add a new battery, the new one has less internal resistance so it charges and discharges at a different rate than the old one. So you end up with one battery chronically over/under charged and it won't last. The older battery won't fully charge so it will sulfate and fail sooner.

Not to say it won't function, but you'll end up buying batteries more frequently than if you treat them as a pair.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Your title says house but the text indicates coach so here goes

Recommended battery number and size in the owners manual, mine actually showed 2 each 950 CCA batteries but I assume PO changed to one.

I can get by with large start battery for my 350 ISC.

I bought a new start battery back in 2012 (I bought my rig in 2008 and did not have age but must have been changed unless Monaco changed recommendation of batterieg since there was only 1 battery when I bought the rig). I was in northern Michigan so battery choices were limited and I paid an arm and a leg for a store brand battery. This battery only lasted ~2 years and I ended up going to Batteries Plus for a Duracell for the recommended size. https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli8daft It is now ~6 years old and still performing well. One disadvantage to the 8D battery is how heavy it is to lift it to the compartment but I can handle this.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Good eye, Jim. You're right, I should have followed with 'chassis' all the way through.

In any case, I took both of them out and found that the little punchout numbers for month/date were both punched as 5/2014. They were covered by the tie-down straps and big cables til I removed everything.

My luck has always held that if I buy 3-year batteries I'm gonna get 36 months, and the same with 48-month or any other combination. Guess you could say I got my money's worth this time (72 months! ) . Therefore, I'm off to the battery store for 2 new ones.

Thanks for y'alls inputs, I knew I should replace both, was just trying to 'cheap-out'.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, they are getting better at making batteries as I've had to replace 2 just after the warranty ran out. So if you get use beyond that it's money in the bank.

I recommend buying from a larger dealer, bought the last auto battery from Walmart knowing they are located everywhere in case I have to replace.

When replaced my chassis battery I was going to buy from Sam's but at the time Battery Plus had a good deal with a rebate if you purchased on line and picked up in store.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery