Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

New Monaco emblem

I spent this Covid summer removing the 15 year old ugly shield from my 04 Camelot. The vinyl Monaco emblem and two faded chrome horizontal vinyl molding strips that run left and right out from the old emblem and separate the head lights had to go. They were ugly as well. I decided to replace the old vinyl emblem with the latest solid chrome Monaco emblem I could find. It really cleaned up the generator cover/front end. I don’t think I need anything coming off the new emblem running horizontal splitting the head lights. What’s your thoughts? I’m debating having some pen striping done, but not sure I need it. I still have to remove the ugly shield from the bumper to the bottom. Next year, I’ve had enough breathing of 3M adhesive remover for one summer. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	300618Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	613.6 KB
ID:	300619
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

This is the old look before I startedClick image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	300622
Old 09-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Looks better without the chrome strip IMO. Good Job!
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I need to do this as well-what's the best method to start? Did removing the 3m coating damage the paint? Your paint looks new, did you repaint? Any tips on "how to" would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Looks great... Where/what emblem is that? I may do the same. Mine looks like crap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200902_051619097.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	300666  
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Looks great... Where/what emblem is that? I may do the same. Mine looks like crap.

I purchased the latest emblem from the Rev Group. A little pricy at $160, but it the only solid emblem on the market. It’s used on the new Monacos. 800-322-8216. Parts.revgroup.com
Old 09-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Dave you are starting a trend. I think it looks great.
What did you do with the Camelot emblems on the sides?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I need to do this as well-what's the best method to start? Did removing the 3m coating damage the paint? Your paint looks new, did you repaint? Any tips on "how to" would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, I took my time, because these days I have plenty of time. First try to identify if it’s Diamond Shield or 3M. Mine was 3M from the build sheet. This makes a difference in adhesive remover. I bought a new heat gun that has variable heat settings. I purchased on Amazon a set of hard plastic chisels, various widths. I only used the widest. I used 80 grit sandpaper to keep the chisel sharp. I started up under the windshield drivers side, heated an area very carefully to the point the shield was soft. I started a small upward scrape and the shield pealed off. As soon as you hit a colder area it gets much harder to remove. Once the shield is off, it’s time for the adhesive remover. Apply it on an area and use the chisel to scrape it off. I think the adhesive was harder than the shield to remove, but it depends. Once the area is clean, I used light rubbing compound to clean the paint, then machine buffed it out with a good wax.

I only had two places the paint came off. One place the size of a small sunflower seed the other about 1/2 the size of a postage stamp. I don’t know why, but it never happened again. I got some computer color match touch up paint from a high quality paint shop and you can hardly see the spots. It took me at my own pace, including waiting for Amazon deliveries for the 3M adhesive remover, about a month. If you worked steady at it nonstop, it would probably take you 24-48 hrs. For me that’s would be too much. Taking your time works better. Good luck, if you are in a warm climate, it works better.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

The front emblem is the only emblem I have changed. I plan to hand paint the side emblems when they start to look bad. Most likely a non glair black.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
those side emblem names (windsor, camelot, dynasty, etc) are hard to come by. Somebody here or maybe it was Bill D's started to investigate having them made, but the start up costs were prohibited.

Not sure if anyone actually invested in them or not.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
those side emblem names (windsor, camelot, dynasty, etc) are hard to come by. Somebody here or maybe it was Bill D's started to investigate having them made, but the start up costs were prohibited.

Not sure if anyone actually invested in them or not.

Yeah, I think the best thing to do with them is keep them in place and get out your model car paint detail brushes and with a steady hand paint them an accent color that highlights the rest of the coaches paint design. For my coach, either the dark gun metal gray or non reflective black.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #12

Not sure of the emblem design but if flat face block like mine.....i seen a one of the auto restoration shows went to a place the do repo European licence plates and they transferred paint to raised surface off smooth wooden blocks. I doubt we could get our hands on that kind of exotic grain free wood they used but maybe hard plastic ,plexiglass or hard flat roller may work. In school we carved on type of linoleum to create printing pad / stamp. Rattle can paint would probably dry too fast unless cold .I have been looking at my emblems for a while when I seen the show.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #13

I have a vinyl cutter and re-did all my graphics wasn't easy. BTW the eraser wheels due a good job and assist nicely with the heat gun Here is a spin I did on HR logo. I have gotten quite good with software and can do almost anything. The 12 foot long swishes where the bastards
chemicClick image for larger version

Name:	Cap555ture.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	300982al remover.
Jerry H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:51 PM   #14

Golf cart I did.
Name:   Captul-lpre.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  33.3 KB
Jerry H. is offline   Reply With Quote