Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

New Monaco owner here...needing some help!

First off, let me say thanks for all the good tidbits of info ive been reading on all this and i hope i might in some way be able to give back at some point. Im 36, live in missouri, grew up on travel trailers and have totally redone and rebuilt a class C, work on my friends Newmar Essex for him and am a machinist. So projects are up my alley! Traded into this latest one....a 1991 Monaco Dynasty. I heavy tow so am very familiar with these from a towing standpoint. This particular one has sat for approx 8 years and im bringing her back! 89k miles. Heres my problem. It wont crank with key or switch in back. Brand new batteries...house and chassis. When i turn the key, lots of the gauges roll back and nothing happens. Now, i can jump the solenoid under the bed and it will start. Randomly seems like its in gear, but that might be nothing. Ive replaced solenoids, traced wires, read read read, replaced solenoid on front firewall, checked black plugs that have twist caps on them, etc. Now, when i put new house batteries, it started 3 times front...2 times back, then back to its old self. Tonight i messed with those black harness plugs on the firewall...3 times front....1 time back, same deal. It also has a brand new ignition and switch. Still nothing. Help!Click image for larger version

Name:	20170411_132918.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	158659Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_223001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	158660
Tshirtguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

And as far as gauges...speedo, tach, boost, radio, dont work. Running lights do, headlights dont. Left turn works, right just stays in. It acts like a big grounding problem.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

New Monaco owner here...needing some help!

I had a similar issue with my 98 tradewinds. I replaced solenoids several times and still got sporadic starts. I even got the starter to work with the screwdriver. Ultimately, problem was solved by replacing the starter. Got it from a local oreilly's auto part after crossing the number. Might not be your case, but worth a try because the starter may have have issues inside.
Welcome to forum by the way! This place is incredible with infinite knowledge and awesome people!
ama009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I still have my old m/h and it has the same issue. I know what it is but it's hard to trace where the problem is. The white wire that goes to the relay that controls the start solenoid is not getting power about 1/2 of the time (same as yours). Measure for 12 volt power at the small wire lug on the start solenoid. If it does not have power when you hit the key, you've found your problem. I've been told that the ignition switch has a little bit of adjustment in it and it might not be making good contact. I'm going to have to pull mine and see if that is the problem. It could be in a wire loom, which would be a nightmare to find. It would probably be easier to run a new wire IF it's in the wire instead of the ignition switch adjustment.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #5

Its something screwy. Has even a mechanic friend baffled
Old 04-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That wire I'm talking about only has power to it when the switch is in the START position. The rest of the time there is no voltage. Like I said; that relay gives power to close the solenoid. In other words, power is activated to the relay with the push rod on the ignition switch.

BTW, this is on a '94 Allegro Bus and not on my Monaco.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #7

White one you say? Gonna call Monaco in the am for a schematic too.

Tags
monaco