Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

New motor home

In the process of buying another motorhome. Liked what I saw in the newer ones(Monaco Diplomats) but, I was told that the Maxx Force diesel had a problem with heating. I'll be driving in 100 plus degree weather a lot and going over the Grape Vine often, pulling a ten thousand pound trailer. My search has been limited to the 2009 diplomats, and Allegros. HELP !!!!!!
edwardedward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure where your getting your info about heating issues with the Maxxforce 10, we have one in our 44' coach pulling a 4400 lb jeep and in 10k mikes have had no probem, the hottest I've seen mine get is 212 degrees when working hard.

We've been from Alberta to Oregon to Alabama and to California.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The Maxxforce Navastar Diesel Engines are built for the long haul. Resleavable cylinders and "cow" piss not required. Haven't heard of any over heat issues. Seen some info on updating software to the ECM, but that is a good thing. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I live in the the hottest city in the US and have a Maxxforce 10. Over the two summers I have had it I have driven around in 120* towing 7000 lbs and have never seen over 210 on the gauge. I think you got some bad info from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I live in the the hottest city in the US and have a Maxxforce 10. Over the two summers I have had it I have driven around in 120* towing 7000 lbs and have never seen over 210 on the gauge. I think you got some bad info from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.
Salesmen who are trying to steer you away from something you want and toward something they have are pretty good at the vague rumor.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our Cayman has Maxxforce 10 and have had no problems, heating or otherwise. This is a very sturdy engine built for commercial service, have no hesitation recommending it to anyone. This coming from a 33 year Caterpillar guy...
3 Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same here. I have a 2013 HR 43dft. Pulled a car from Atlanta to Denver and back. I'm worried it runs to cool. Never got over 208 degrees and got a fantastic 9.3 MPG. Great engine period.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardedward View Post
In the process of buying another motorhome. Liked what I saw in the newer ones(Monaco Diplomats) but, I was told that the Maxx Force diesel had a problem with heating. I'll be driving in 100 plus degree weather a lot and going over the Grape Vine often, pulling a ten thousand pound trailer. My search has been limited to the 2009 diplomats, and Allegros. HELP !!!!!!
Seems to me you should be more concerned about the receiver rating than the engine. Not all motorhomes have a 10,000 lb rated receiver. One that does should have a capable engine. For example, our 2006 Diplomat has a 10K rated receiver and an ISL 400 Cummins engine. This coach weighs in at 32,000 lbs and with that engine and the somewhat light weight she hasn't seen a hill she didn't like.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #9

Although anything made by Navistar is not my favorite I would be more concerned about the resale value of a unit with the Maxforce. There are not that many units on the road with that engine and some might consider it to be an oddball. Probably has enough power. Service can be a problem as many Navistar dealers will not work on motorhomes. A unit with a Cummins has a choice of specialized dealers who also do other MH repairs. Cummins owns Onan so you can have your Gennie serviced at the same time.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
If you're limiting your searched to the 2009 model year then you should also be aware that there were a number of Monaco Coach built units before the bankruptcy. The Dips had ISL Cummins power and are fairly rare, but they're out there. I have an early 09 HR with the ISL and it's been a good coach. That said, I know of nothing to keep you from buying a Navistar unit either.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There are a few of us who have a Navistar built RV with a Cummins Diesel, and FANTASTIC service after sale from the Navistar (ASV) group. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
There are a few of us who have a Navistar built RV with a Cummins Diesel, and FANTASTIC service after sale from the Navistar (ASV) group. deSanford

Gotta agree with ya there deSanford
Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Although anything made by Navistar is not my favorite I would be more concerned about the resale value of a unit with the Maxforce. There are not that many units on the road with that engine and some might consider it to be an oddball. Probably has enough power. Service can be a problem as many Navistar dealers will not work on motorhomes. A unit with a Cummins has a choice of specialized dealers who also do other MH repairs. Cummins owns Onan so you can have your Gennie serviced at the same time.
Can't say that I have heard of anyone having trouble's getting there coaches work on with a Navistar engine.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
edwardedward, We are in Laughlin NV and the dealer near us is Paul Evert's RV sales. When we were window shopping they said that they would be giving deep discounts on coaches with Navistar engines. There has to be a reason for that. It's something to think about, if the engine alone puts you at a disadvantadge with other like units at time of future resale, don't walk away .....RUN.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote