Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Need Advice 2000 Monaco Signature

:dance::dance:Hello All, I am new here and wondered if any of you would be able to give insight into whether a 2000 Monaco Signature where the owner has most of all the service records and the rig looks to be ingrate shape is worth 59K?
Look forward to hearing from all of you!
Ruffcutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #2

Have it looked over by a an RV service shop. If you like the way it looks and feels and drives, worth a few hundred bucks to really have it looked at carefully. They will know how to look for delamination, water damage, safety check The Signature is an AWESOME rig, but if the generator was not started each month and the engine not started each month, the diesels can end up with a lot of corrosion and damage. In the end, be ready to keep paying annually for little or big things here and there. These are rolling earthquake houses that will also need something replaced and repaired and kept up.

This is just personal preference, but personally would feel better about a 22 year old rig that was either stored in climate control or in the desert. High humidity and sitting a lot of the time is not ideal.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
Have it looked over by a an RV service shop. If you like the way it looks and feels and drives, worth a few hundred bucks to really have it looked at carefully. They will know how to look for delamination, water damage, safety check The Signature is an AWESOME rig, but if the generator was not started each month and the engine not started each month, the diesels can end up with a lot of corrosion and damage. In the end, be ready to keep paying annually for little or big things here and there. These are rolling earthquake houses that will also need something replaced and repaired and kept up.

This is just personal preference, but personally would feel better about a 22 year old rig that was either stored in climate control or in the desert. High humidity and sitting a lot of the time is not ideal.
Thank you for the info, yes I will have it checked out by a Pro, if there are any recommendations for one in the Gilbert or Apache Junctions section of Arizona I would love to hear about them. The owner is the second owner and said he kept up open all the maintenance. Paint looks like it has been stored well. He said he always had it covered and the roof taken care of every two years, and it looks it. The generator fired right up and it is the Onan 12.5k.I really appreciate your input.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
Have it looked over by a an RV service shop.

While the house systems should be checked, you could replace all of them for less than 1/3 the cost of a new engine.

So a mechanical inspection is at least as important. If you have prior RV experience, the RV systems may already be familiar to you and you can check them yourself.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Seems to be in the ballpark, depending on model/features. Those were good coaches and it sounds like the seller took care of it. Get a good inspection. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
New Need Advice 2000 Monaco Signature

I would snap it up before someone else finds it like me….

To me that’s great price.

But yes get an inspection if you do not feel qualified.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A 2000 Signature has great bones. It's built on a Roadmaster chassis with 10 outboard air bags and 10 shocks. It should have a Cummins ISM with 500hp mated to an Allison MH4000 6 spd transmission.
They come with a 12,500 watt Onan diesel generator. All the interior fixtures are top of the line.
It will require some updating as well as some TLC but should last you for as long as you want to use it.
Download the original brochure and the owners manual and start reading. Lots to learn!
Best of luck.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:01 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum, 2000 Monaco Signature is a great coach and well worth the asking price if it checks out, you did not mention, or I missed it, number of slides, mileage or age of tires.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback

Thank you all for the feedback. I love the fact that there is a community I can ask all this studded too. I am hiring a professional and again would love any recommendations. I email a company called Premiere RV Inspections. They quoted $500 to go over everything. I looked at the roof and it looks very solid. The ladder is broke in the back so I took my own and climbed up. All the AC covers look good and in tack along with the skylight and the antennas.

There is one large living room slide, it has 90k miles. All the airbags look to be in good shape and the tires are 3 years old with good tread and flat not rounded. He stated he had the Aqua Hot system rebuilt a couple of years ago. We went for a ride and it was a little bumpy and rattley but it also only had about about a 1/4 tank of gas. This beast holds 150 gallons of fuel so I am sure even with a half or 3/4 the weight would make it ride a bit smoother.

I didn't check, and forgot to ask, the age and shape of the batteries.

Again that you all for tour input. We are really looking forward to diving in to a bit of remodeling and I am sure I will asking more questions.

Are any of you going to be in Quartzite this weekend?
Old 01-20-2022, 09:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
BTW "Biljol" I will check back with you in about a year to see where we are at. Maybe we can work something out ;-)
Old 01-20-2022, 09:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Picts of 2000 Sig

Here are a couple picts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	271125750_455408872921916_3815431384244963454_n.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	354360   Click image for larger version

Name:	271154842_455408669588603_4282508916188252587_n.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	354361  

Click image for larger version

Name:	271325423_455408809588589_2772947510914491885_n.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	354362   Click image for larger version

Name:	271439524_455408772921926_6077030494459535725_n.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	354363  

Old 01-21-2022, 04:25 AM   #12

Nice look to the rig. Very interesting rock shield they put on. Haven't seen that before.

Which model is this? Are you planning to spend a lot of time in it?

With one slide (looks almost like a super-slide), you will have fewer mechanical challenges, less potential for leaks. If this is your first motorhome, some may want more slides and more space.

We have 3 slides that open the main living space on both sides and the bedroom expanded a lot. We also have 1.5 bathrooms with a half bath in front of the bedroom door, which allows me to get up early and do work while my wife sleeps in the back.

For me personally, the most important things in buying a house is location, location, location. For the motorhome, it was layout, layout, layout. Of course you don't want to buy a rig that has a shot engine, tons of leaks in the roof, or a rusted out frame, but tires, batteries, inverter, AC, whatever...you can and probably will have to replace at sometime. The layout you cannot change.

If this is just for weekends and a few weeks here and there, then perhaps layout doesn't matter as much. If you plan to be in it for months at a time, you might want to think through your days, your routines, your sleep schedules and how you will actually use the motorhome. Our bath and a half also worked out nicely when we have our daughter's family come along and we could have the whole back and back bathroom privately at night and their family took the whole front and front bath at night. Think through before jumping on just a good deal or you might be looking to sell to get a new layout and more slides.

A lot of this is my personal opinion. Others may completely disagree with me and my approach, but I spend about 8 months at a time in our DST and this year will be in it the whole year. Completely comfortable for the way we live. All other versions would not have been right for us. Once I new the layout and then the model, I searched the whole country and found the right one at the right price that had been parked in a good environment (low humidity). It was worth flying out to go get it and drive it 1,000 miles back home.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

https://www.jglubricantservices.com/
You get a 10% discount if you use "IRV2" as a promo code"

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:24 AM   #14

The air pressure in tires may be set to fully loaded coach or even too high for that...that's why it's harsh. Best to get all corners weighted and adjust per tire manufacture chart, most have settle for per axle weight.
Check for cracks at rear axle mounts and rear frame uprights around rear suspension and axle.
Check for signs of leaks around base of slide where walls meet floor inside and out.
Check signs of delamination around and upper attachments like awnings , porch light ,ect..
The first two things are some items that have happened to some of these rigs. The delamination can happen to any. The wall style fiberglass of these rigs is more durable against it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, monaco