Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 06:10 AM   #29

No Run Onan

Before you start overhauling the Onan. Check to make sure you’re getting fuel to it. The fuel transfer pump may be varnished up from sitting for six years. If the diesel in the tank is six years old, pump it out, add new fuel then add conditioner. You can buy Power System at Walmart, treat according to quantity of fuel, great product. Good luck!
Rcsc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsc80 View Post
Before you start overhauling the Onan. Check to make sure you’re getting fuel to it. The fuel transfer pump may be varnished up from sitting for six years. If the diesel in the tank is six years old, pump it out, add new fuel then add conditioner. You can buy Power System at Walmart, treat according to quantity of fuel, great product. Good luck!
I don't know about holiday Rambler, but on my Monaco if the fuel is less than 40 gallons out of the 100 the tank holds, then it is below the pick up tube for the generator and the generator won't run. Also, after sitting for a good while, the fuel system may need priming, which requires holding the generator switch down for 30 to 60 seconds before it will start.
pflightnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsc80 View Post

Yes the fuel was drained out and conditioner was added , also i do have fuel flow as far as the fuel filter out port. Still messing with it and might just have to take it to Lake Havasu to the closes tech according to Onan recommendations.

Thanks again !!!
RayAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflightnut View Post
I don't know about holiday Rambler, but on my Monaco if the fuel is less than 40 gallons out of the 100 the tank holds, then it is below the pick up tube for the generator and the generator won't run. Also, after sitting for a good while, the fuel system may need priming, which requires holding the generator switch down for 30 to 60 seconds before it will start.

An yes i topped off the fuel which was 3/4 tank when i got back from California. I did also try to prime it for quite a bit perhaps 5-6X.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctundra View Post
Replace fuel filters. Buy a set of spare fuel filters and keep in the coach when traveling. hopefully there isn't much fuel in the tank, this would be best since the fuel will be stale. When you fuel up be sure to add a good quality additive that can deal with diesel fuel algae. be sure to understand how to drain the water separator, and do it daily for the first few tanks of fuel. learn how to replace your fuel filters and carry proper size filter wrench. read the owners manual that comes with the coach, cover to cover multiple times. good luck and happy trails.
^This^

I would give it a good dose of fuel biocide, and have extra fuel filters at the ready. Also a strap wrench that will fit these filters, and a jerry can of fresh diesel to pre-fill.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #34

People get 12K hours without major engine overhaul. Belts are good idea. Glow plugs don't go bad sitting.
Lift to injector pump is most likely issue or needing a good air purge. The fuel inlet is about 1/4 tank up so goes empty . Edit... I see others chimed in with same info beside purging the the air out. There might be an air bleed at injector pump . It may take a minimum pressure not like it's filling a lawn tractor carb bowl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAZ View Post
IM working at the moment on trying to get my generator going , its a Onan quiet diesel 7500 . Ordered me a service kit from amazon and gonna get that going , all she does it crank, crank but doesn't turn over . Im thinking of use doing a complete overhaul on it to just start fresh. I don't know much but know common sense . Would one major factor be the glow plugs? An lets consider this thing sat at least 5-6 years , previous owner said 3-4 years and i call BS.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #35

Thank you so much for everyones input , you guys have definitely instilled a lot of confidence in figuring out this with your guys help . I hate to take it to a shop cause i feel defeated but i also understand when its time to wave the white flag. I will continue on and keep everyone posted . Thanks again and everyone have a great evening .
Old 07-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #36

Did you change the fuel filter on the generator? Little square thing in the hatch under the generator. I have had to change that more than the engine filters. Mostly as it clogs the little prime pump has a much harder time pushing the fuel thru that filter. While I was down there I did push the prime switch and made sure I had fuel flow.

While changing my fuel sending unit, I could see the generator pickup tube was rusted. Want to change that, havent had the chance yet, but there is a chance the pick up could be broken... checking for flow at the filter would tell you if it was picking fuel up.
Wadell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadell View Post
Did you change the fuel filter on the generator? Little square thing in the hatch under the generator. I have had to change that more than the engine filters. Mostly as it clogs the little prime pump has a much harder time pushing the fuel thru that filter. While I was down there I did push the prime switch and made sure I had fuel flow.

While changing my fuel sending unit, I could see the generator pickup tube was rusted. Want to change that, havent had the chance yet, but there is a chance the pick up could be broken... checking for flow at the filter would tell you if it was picking fuel up.

10-4 i sure did and just ordered me 3 from amazon to store on coach. I am definitely taking everything in and trying to get to it but right now we have 117-120 degree heat so there very little i can do without catching a heat stroke.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #38

Well got one thing checked off the list , the new vacuum pump came in got it swopped out and now the AC blows through the top vents and not just the defrost . Heres where it was located , hope it helps someone in the future.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Well got one thing checked off the list , the new vacuum pump came in got it swopped out and now the AC blows through the top vents and not just the defrost . Heres where it was located , hope it helps someone in the future.
Now it won't let me upload a picture
Old 07-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Please see post # 8

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...tml#post477709

Quote:
Now it won't let me upload a picture

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Did anyone mention slide bottoms? Monaco’s are notorious for rotted slide bottoms. Make sure all joints are sealed at the bottom of the side slide walls. Check too the roof belt line, both top and bottom and seal as needed. This will prevent water intrusion and rotten wood.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #42

Think i got it figured out , here's she lays on the firewall
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vacuum pump for AC.pdf (1.67 MB, 15 views)

Tags
new owner