Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #1

New Owners of Monaco/Monaco has Been SOLD

Indicators are that Navistar are to be the new owners of Monaco. If this proves to be true, will future coaches have International engines and Workhorse chassis?
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diesels will, gas will not. Have you seen anything official about this?
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #3

The word on the street is that Navistar has made an offer of interest. If the offer is acceptable an announcement should be emminent.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHEMOTH View Post
Indicators are that Navistar are to be the new owners of Monaco. If this proves to be true, will future coaches have International engines and Workhorse chassis?
I don't think you will see the diesels on a workhorse chassis, since they all ready own 51% of Roadmaster I would expect that they would continue to use that chassis...What I would expect to see is that other high end brands may start using some form of the Roadmaster.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This seems to be good news. I wonder how long it will take to resume operations.(technical,warranty & parts)
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I heard that they closed the deal on saturday. The thing I'm wondering about is whether they intend to continue producing motorhomes or not. It's possible they wanted Monaco for their property, buildings and nothing else. Maybe they want to start producing chassis here.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #7

Early rumour was that Monaco might continue as a sub (no. company with Monaco name), Beaver to be dropped because of Cat engines being discontinued, Safari and Holiday Rambler rolled into Monaco. In between coaches dropped, Cayman, Camelot, Executive. Just a rumour at this point.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is no announcement before this weekend, I hope to learn something at the FMCA rally.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope this is all correct. It will be good for all the workers and their families.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #10

Sounds interesting but I doubt they would build any motorhomes. How can you sell chassis to other mfrs. when you are the competition?? I guess we will have the answer soon enough.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still believe the Monaco name has a large following and deserves a chance in the slim down version.

Would seem to me that the properties would have been on the market earlier to settle the debt of Monaco, and Navistar could have made an offer for the buildings only. Also, as a 51% owner of the Roadmaster chassis joint venture, they most likely had the "right of first refusal" if Monaco was sold. As a sub of a larger group, Monaco may have a niche in the RV world after all.

The Holiday Rambler I have is a great coach and the technical documentation and technical staff were first rate. Hope it continues

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #12

I wonder if Navistar and Monaco are negotiating the sale of the 49% of Roadmaster not owned by Nav?

That would make sense to me because it is in a separate corporation and I gather that the operation was being run to some degree by Navistar. Also, who would purchase Nav's interest in this joint venture? No one I can imagine.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #13

Of course the other side is just what is the worth of Monaco's part of the joint venture. They are out of business, who's going to buy those Roadmaster chassis? It isn't going to be Monaco. Navistar picks it up for a song. Then later gets the remnants of Monaco. A good way to make a buck or two as long as the market comes back.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldOldBob View Post
Of course the other side is just what is the worth of Monaco's part of the joint venture. They are out of business, who's going to buy those Roadmaster chassis? It isn't going to be Monaco. Navistar picks it up for a song. Then later gets the remnants of Monaco. A good way to make a buck or two as long as the market comes back.
We don't, of course, know what type of buyout or shotgun clauses are in the earlier agreement between Navistar and Monaco.

If there are no sections related to one or the other becoming insolvent, the trustee for Monaco (if one is eventually appointed) will have to negotiate with Navistar for the sale OR try to sell it to someone else. The question in my mind is what does the agreement say as to electing the board of directors - do Nav and Monaco each select half of them - or does 51% mean what it can mean - total control?

What chassis are being built at the Nav/Monaco joint venture factory (the former Roadmaster facility owned 100% by Monaco before the sale) now and which manufacturers have been buying them? After we downsized I haven't followed this joint venture to any extent but I have not seen any indications of anyone using the Roadmaster chassis. Is the plant building the Workhorse UFO or R chassis?