Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
New Project - Power under the bed

I'm looking for the best way to put a 110 outlet under the bed in my 2005 Diplomat PDQ. We will move our Sleep Number mattress into the coach soon and the pump will need a power supply. There is power in the bedside cabinet on one side of the bed but I'm wondering where that comes from. Anybody know if that is under the sideout somewhere?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
I'm looking for the best way to put a 110 outlet under the bed in my 2005 Diplomat PDQ.
Finding 110V power in a coach isn't that easy. If you have side 110V plugs adjacent to the bed and you needed to get power under my bed, I would consider using a plastic Wiremold extension box, small conduit, 90° elbows, clamps, connectors and a junction box with a 110v plug and plate for under the bed.

If you do it right and take your time, it may just work out.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well if your PDQ is like my 01 Diplomat PDQ, then the power is already under the bed. By that I mean my coach has the bed slide. The side cabinet in the slide does have power and that power goes to a junction box under the bed.

On mine the mattress board is mounted to the frame with a hinge at the head of the bed and the foot is screwed to the frame under the end. Remove those screws at the foot end and lift the mattress up and, if it is like mine, you will expose the slide mechanism. Prop the bed up and you will see a 4-inch electrical box where you can run the new power outlet from.

Hope that helps

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Hope that helps
Now that's what I was looking for!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Well if your PDQ is like my 01 Diplomat PDQ, then the power is already under the bed. By that I mean my coach has the bed slide. The side cabinet in the slide does have power and that power goes to a junction box under the bed.

On mine the mattress board is mounted to the frame with a hinge at the head of the bed and the foot is screwed to the frame under the end. Remove those screws at the foot end and lift the mattress up and, if it is like mine, you will expose the slide mechanism. Prop the bed up and you will see a 4-inch electrical box where you can run the new power outlet from.

Hope that helps
That sounds great! I hope mine is the same. That would give me the most clean and simple installation. I'm going to do some work on it today so I'll take a look and see. Thanks Rex.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just be careful which circuit you use. On my 06 Endeavor the outlet on either side of the bed only work when on shore power or the gen is running. This is not a problem unless you have deflated the mattress, should do that when climbing mountain, and you want to boondock overnight you will need to run the generator to inflate the mattress.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
DriVer, how do you partial quote?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Partial quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
partial quote?
J
Hi Goldwinger2,
I am not DriVer but if you look at the quote from your message you will see that it is only a partial quote. I did this by selecting the Quote box on your message then when the reply box comes up I just highlighted and deleted the first part of your original message.

In fact by editing the QUOTE Text that shows up I can make the Quote say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
partial quote and why I want to do that?
J
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
Just be careful which circuit you use. On my 06 Endeavor the outlet on either side of the bed only work when on shore power or the gen is running. This is not a problem unless you have deflated the mattress, should do that when climbing mountain, and you want to boondock overnight you will need to run the generator to inflate the mattress.
Yes, that is an annoyance, same problem with the '07 Endeavor. I sure wish that outlet was on inverter power. As it is, the only outlet in the bedroom that is on the inverter is on the far side of the bedroom. We've been in that situation, and had to start the generator just to adjust the bed, what a PITA. I keep talking about a keeping an extension cord nearby, so that I can temporarily plug it into an inverter outlet as needed, but I keep forgetting to do that.

To the OP: tapping that junction box may be a clean way to do it. The factory installation mounts the pump unit under the bed, and then drills a hole in the side of the bed box. The cord then exits the bed box near the wall and plugs into the outlet that's outside of the bed box near the floor. That sounds a little messy, but there already needs to be holes there for the tubing to the mattress (and the remotes if they are wired.) It also has the benefit of not needing to raise the bed if you want to temporarily run an extension cord to an inverter outlet!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
So you're saying that your 110 electric by the bed doesn't work off the inverter??
I will test that out. I saw two electrical connector boxes under my bed when I pulled the cover loose. I'll test them out before tying into one for power.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
So you're saying that your 110 electric by the bed doesn't work off the inverter??
That's the way it is on mine. All of the bedroom 110 outlets that are on the slide with the bed (including the one that the SelectComfort pump uses) are NOT on the inverter. This includes the one at the floor at the side of the bed, and the ones up on the wall at the night stands. It would appear (on mine, at least) that there is only a single 110 circuit run to the bed slide.

The outlets on the opposite slide (the one with the television) ARE on the inverter. (Again, only a single 110 circuit on that slide.)

It's a pain, because other than the TV, I would want the opposite: let the mattress pump work on the inverter, and let me plug an electric heater on the accessible outlet on the far side of the bedroom. If I want the heater to be on it's own circuit (and not on the inverter circuit with most of the other outlets on the rig) it needs to be plugged in by the bed, and I would rather have the heater away from the hanging bedding (for safety's sake.)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Goldwinger2,
I am not DriVer
In fact by editing the QUOTE Text that shows up I can make the Quote say anything.
Got it, thanks.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Our outlets are the same way...inverter plug in bedroom is on the driver side (with the TV) ...120V on the passenger side.
I will put up a 120V schematic for the SFT in the PDFs ..if it is not already there later.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #14

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Our outlets are the same way...inverter plug in bedroom is on the driver side (with the TV) ...120V on the passenger side.
I will put up a 120V schematic for the SFT in the PDFs ..if it is not already there later.
MonacoMama, I have found a CD with electrical schematic's for my coach and have loaded this PDF in my computer is there a way to send this to you so you could post for all to use??