Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New question on slide toppers.

Hello all, hope everyone is doing well in this holiday season.

Had a quick question about the slide toppers on our 2009 Camelot 42 DSQ. I plan on taking them all off in the spring and re-stitching them as they have stretched to where they are hour glass shaped so the ends are floppy. I plan to take them off, cut one edge to square them up then re-stich them.

My question is does anyone know what size the beading is inside the edge of the toppers? I've had one off already and the one that goes in the track on the side of the coach is a bigger bead like a 1/4" or 3/16" then the one that goes in the track on the roller is much smaller like 1/8" or something like that.

I would like to replace all the beading on the slide toppers as they are old and brittle and break easily. I would like to buy the beading before I take the slide toppers off otherwise I would just take one off and measure them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I wish everyone here on iRV2 a most wonderful Christmas and a
much brighter and healthier New Year.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That's a good plan but you are going to be working on them again in a couple of years.
I replaced our slide out toppers with Stone Voss toppers. They are the best ones made and I only had to do it once. She includes new beads with the toppers.
Stone Vos RV Awnings and Slide Topper Replacement Fabrics
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went here. https://www.toughtopawnings.com/
Rv geeks put out a great video.
Was easy to do, I liked the material.
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The thing is our toppers are a real nice canvas material that's in great condition. I much prefer the canvas over vinyl toppers. I just want to square ours up and re-water proof them and they should be good for many more years to come. I will turn them around and over of course to get the "Newest" surface possible but I think they will be good for many years once they are squared and "All" the stitching gone over really well. I even bought an old Necchi sewing machine just to do this job. It will sew through anything, it's a beast from 1945 and works better than new machines today. I tested it sewing through 8 layers of Carhart material and it went through like nothing. Amazing old machine, and built to last! It's 75 years old and works like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4380.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	311431  
Old 12-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #5

Here's a couple comments... but you are smart and on the right track.
A local RV place gave me a bunch of the strips you are after. Apparently at least some mfg send them different sizes so they can pick the one that fits. Their supply kept growing and they were getting ready to toss some.
I would look into Tenera thread or equivalents. They are life time and thread is the weak link. Sailrite.com handles all kind of supplies for this dort of DIY and has many How To videos online.
I'd also suggest looking at Rochfordsupply.com as they have some great buys on seconds & close out awning & boat top materials. Sometimes the close out price is very good and hardly worth trying to salvage old material.
DIY is not rocket science and a great way to save some $ and make some great accys.
Rockford also has mesh that works great for sunscreens that drop from existing awnings.
If you need more help getting started let me know I've done a bit of boat, RV and other custom canvas work as a hobby retirement business.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
What about sewing darts into the floppy spots, rather than cutting the edges and having to find replacement parts?
Old 12-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what you are referring to when you say sew in darts?? What I plan to do is very simple, I've already had one topper off to repair it (my own mistake) and the material is in great condition. All I want to do is take one seam apart, trim the edge straight to square up the topper, fold it over a new piece of bead and sew it. Easy peasy. And like I said I will run a new stitch (a zig zag stich) all the way around just to reinforce the original stitching. I've already got the outdoor UV resistant thread.

All I was asking was if anyone knew what size the beading is, along the coach and on the roller, they are two different sizes as I figured I would replace it while I'm at it because I can just pull it out and push new bead in. When I had the one topper off for repair I found the bead to be very brittle from age and heat.

If nobody can help me that's fine, I will find the size in the spring.

Thank you.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Not sure what you are referring to when you say sew in darts?? What I plan to do is very simple, I've already had one topper off to repair it (my own mistake) and the material is in great condition. All I want to do is take one seam apart, trim the edge straight to square up the topper, fold it over a new piece of bead and sew it. Easy peasy. And like I said I will run a new stitch (a zig zag stich) all the way around just to reinforce the original stitching. I've already got the outdoor UV resistant thread.

All I was asking was if anyone knew what size the beading is, along the coach and on the roller, they are two different sizes as I figured I would replace it while I'm at it because I can just pull it out and push new bead in. When I had the one topper off for repair I found the bead to be very brittle from age and heat.

If nobody can help me that's fine, I will find the size in the spring.

Thank you.
Your right, that bead gets brittle. Mine is 1/4", which is what came with the coach.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just an FYI, did a long post a while back on slide out leaks and slide toppers. You might want to check it out. Long and short, I replaced them all with the cheap universal cut to fit because I could make them as wide as the roller. This fixed all my slide out leaks and I sure wish I had done them much sooner. I was also going to use custom acrylic ones but the cheap ones are actually better because they will not let water through when it pools.....

I sure wish I had come upon that solution long before water entry......caused by acrylic slide toppers that did not run the FULL width of the roller........

Cutting down your slide toppers? Been there, done that on one of them, and sure paid a price for that lack of understanding. You really want the slide topper to be the FULL width of the roller. Lots of folks on this site never see rain.......and never experience what I did.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I’ve re-sewn all 4 on both rigs below...thread gives up around 10 years. There is enough unused fabric on 3 of the 4 to cut off so all new exposed to the sun. I used coax cable for the beading.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their input, it's greatly appreciated. On my toppers they are only about an inch shorter than the roller on each end so I can't go much wider, plus I don't have any leaks.

The beading is a different size on each end, as I recall it's around 1/4" on the coach side and maybe 1/8" on the roller side. If they are 1/4" and 1/8" then that's what I will order, just have to convert it to metric because they sell it in mm. Just need to confirm the bead size.

And just to be clear I'm not trimming down the width of my toppers to make them narrower, I am going to trim off the long edge that goes into the roller to square up the topper so it won't be loose at the ends.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input, it's greatly appreciated. On my toppers they are only about an inch shorter than the roller on each end so I can't go much wider, plus I don't have any leaks.

The beading is a different size on each end, as I recall it's around 1/4" on the coach side and maybe 1/8" on the roller side. If they are 1/4" and 1/8" then that's what I will order, just have to convert it to metric because they sell it in mm. Just need to confirm the bead size.

And just to be clear I'm not trimming down the width of my toppers to make them narrower, I am going to trim off the long edge that goes into the roller to square up the topper so it won't be loose at the ends.
1/4" = 6.35 mm. I didn't measure the roller side, just the coach side. Interesting they might be different
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you so much windsorbill, I kind of thought the coach side was 1/4". As far as the roller side goes the slot that the topper slides into is smaller so the bead is smaller to match. That's why I think it is 1/8" bead. I noticed this when I had the one topper out for repair but stupid me didn't even think of the topper being stretched, all I was worried about at the time was to repair the topper and get it back on then found out it's tight as a drum in the center and floppy at both ends. So I have to take it off again, square it up and re-stitch it in the spring. Doh!!
Old 12-17-2020, 04:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
“ it's tight as a drum in the center and floppy at both ends” Sounds like a plus to me as usually it’s the opposite so it holds water in the middle.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide