Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Samson Tires... NOW SHE WANDERS!! Any Advise??

Hi All, Well I had new Samson tires installed on my 07 Monaco Diplomat and took it for a 200 mile trip and fought it all the way. I had to constantly correct my steering to keep it between the lines and that gets very exhausting real quick. I had 06 Michelins removed, those old Michelins didn't give me any steering problems at all.

I'm going to call the tire dealer that installed them and complain but before I do, I'd like some toughts of what may have caused this and how to correct it.

I checked the tire pressure on each wheel and they ranged from 98lbs., to 107lbs., (tire says 120 psi cold) I put them up to 110 lbs., (small compressor couldn't go any higher) all around and it was not any different.

Would really appreciate any "helpful advise" or if any one has had the same experience, and how did you fix it?

Tom & Kathy D.
Mesa AZ.,
2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tires take some miles to break in. BUT if you replaced all steel radial tires with fabric radial or bias ply tires then you will get wandering as the casing isn't as stiff.
You also need to weigh you RV and check the weight/pressure charts to set the correct pressures.
Also, the only time the pressure on the sidewall is correct is if the tire is loaded to it's maximum.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd85208
Hi All, Well I had new Samson tires installed on my 07 Monaco Diplomat and took it for a 200 mile trip and fought it all the way. I had to constantly correct my steering to keep it between the lines and that gets very exhausting real quick. I had 06 Michelins removed, those old Michelins didn't give me any steering problems at all.

I'm going to call the tire dealer that installed them and complain but before I do, I'd like some toughts of what may have caused this and how to correct it.

I checked the tire pressure on each wheel and they ranged from 98lbs., to 107lbs., (tire says 120 psi cold) I put them up to 110 lbs., (small compressor couldn't go any higher) all around and it was not any different.

Would really appreciate any "helpful advise" or if any one has had the same experience, and how did you fix it?

Tom & Kathy D.
Mesa AZ.,
Tom ....the simple first step. Take the MH and get 4 corner weights. Once you know the axle weights (heaviest corner p/axle) you can adjust the tire pressures to manf. specs. ( google & refer to chart) Take it for a test drive and see if it improves....if not get different tires.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tom.....Check the specs on the Michellins you had (should be on their website or your spare if you have one) and compare to the Samsons. Make sure the sidewall ratings, Load ratings and steel belt are comparable.

I had Michellins on a Class C several tears ago and replaced them with Kelly Springfield, an offshoot ire of Goodyear. It didn't wander, but on a large sweeping turn, it felt like I was going to roll right off of the sidewalls. I took them back and the dealer (America's Tire Company) replaced them with an upcharge to the same Michellins I had.

I haven't really heard of anyone using Samsons or issues with them.

Side Note......I replaced my front tires last year and tried balancing beads. They through the bag in and it takes a few miles fro them to break open and start working. Once they break open, you need to stop the coach and let them settle and then start driving again.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Most likely your tire pressure is way too high. Weigh the coach and check the tire pressure specs and then it should handle better.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Most likely your tire pressure is way too high. Weigh the coach and check the tire pressure specs and then it should handle better.
I agree with this post, at least on the drive axle. If your tires are load range H and you inflate to carry your max axle weight then you are ok with 110 in your steer tires. Your drive axle is rated at 20k and you can carry that weight at 90-95 psi. That change should help your handling. If you weigh your coach you could possibly reduce these pressures somewhat.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Samson tires

Hi,
Soft sidewalls?

[/RIGHT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd85208 View Post

Tom & Kathy D.
Mesa AZ.,
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Update... We took her back to the dealer today. The tire shop will check everything tomorrow (Friday) and let me know how they intend to correct this problem.

Don, I thought the same thing! I'm leaning toward putting new Michelins back on and just pay the difference $$$ above the Samsons.

I'll keep you posted when I know more.
Thanks!
Tom & Kathy D.
Mesa AZ
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've never been disappointing with Michelins.
The only blowout I've ever had in 50 years of driving was a GoodYear.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #10

I just put all new michelins on. Tire guy aired all up to 110psi. Used bags in all tires too. I wandered all over the place like herding cattle. Also heard about the breakin period to be 500 miles. It did get better after the 500 mark but after 1000 so far I am still not riding as I feel I should. Lots of extra work traveling between semis. I am going to weigh and air down the tires closer to specs and see if that helps.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #11

I've had similar problems and found, in my case, that the tires had too much air in them for the weight of the vehicle. Once the air was adjusted the problem disapeared.
Bug Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Don't really believe in a break in period

Put 315/80's on the steer (Michelin) and they drove straight and true from the first revolution.
For the OP, you've done the right thing going straight back to the dealer. If its not tire pressure, changing brands before any discernible wear will save you from an expensive experiment.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Well... Proble solved!! (I hope) we got her back today and I road tested her and she drove straight as an arrow. The tire dealer rotated the 2 fronts with the 2 rears, rebalanced and all seems good. Kathy and I will be leaving for the "Great Northwest" on June 23, 2013. Of course we'll be reading irv2 and posting what we consider interesting for all to see.

If you can think of any "Must See's" throughout the Northwestern States by all means Please let us know.
Thanks to all for your input and knowledge!

Tags
tires