Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

New satellite system

I have a tracstar in motion satellite that no longer supports dish network and soon will not support direct tv. What system do I need to buy to replace this satellite that will not be obsolete in a few years.
Pogo397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #2

What do you mean by "a few years"? Technology changes so fast it's really hard to say when something will go unusable. The trend will most likely be towards cellular streaming to break away from cable infrastructure and even satillite systems. Current Sat TV probably has a few years left to it because of the satillites up there and the current customer base.

All that said, if I were going to buy a new system it would be a Wingard Travlr. Seems to be the best non-motion option out there. My current coach has a Wingard In Motion Mission Roadtrip which works fine over Dish network. I already had a Pathway X2 antenna which is nice when we are parked under trees and the built in system won't work. We also use it for a second receiver box so we can watch different channels.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
and soon will not support direct tv.
Do you know something others don't.
Do you mean the 101 SD programs are going away?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #4

I have (had) the KVH system. Probably the most expensive one on the market. The antenna can no longer find a satellite, the box no longer talks to the TV. Zero response from KVH via email or phone messages. It is history. Switched out to a new Winegard Traveler and just love it.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Our winegard became obsolete with the recent Dish changes. We went with a Travelr. It is so much easier to deal with and locks on quick and stays there.

Steve
Old 05-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I would recommend the Winegard Traveler 1000, installed a year ago and it is flawless. You do need to call and change address when you move from one area to the other for local channels though, but that's easy. Say from LA to Phoenix that kind of move. You can get the whole thing purchase and install for around 2K.

I use Dish

good luck
Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue with my KVH. If I wanted a roof mounted dish, then the Winegard Traveler would be my pick. However, I went with the portable King Tailgater for $349. Works great and I don't have to worry about parking under trees... just move the antenna to a clear spot.

If I were to buy today, I would buy the Winegard Pathfinder X2 portable antenna. Similar to the Tailgater, but is switchable between the Western and Eastern DISH orbital arcs.
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We went with a RF Mogal sat system.
We use dish as our provider.
2 receiver, one for each tv allows us each to watch whatever we want.
We can also record 2 different shows at once if needed.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Do you know something others don't.
Do you mean the 101 SD programs are going away?
There is a rumor on a Solid Signal Blog that DirecTV was dropping SD in 2019. Apparently sat 101 is running out of fuel to do the repositioning so they have to move it out of the current orbit and shut it down to avoid problems.

Here is the blog entry.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo397 View Post
What system do I need to buy to replace this satellite that will not be obsolete in a few years.
Lots of luck on this. Things are in a state of flux for DirecTV given what appears to be a sustainable new technology in 4K. (So many of these start and than die -- example 3D TV.) But, it looks like 4K is going to stay. DirecTV looks like they are going to multiplex two or more channels to cover the extra bandwidth on this one. I have no idea what Dish is contemplating for this technology.

If you focus on technologies that support either DirecTV's Genie receivers, or the Dish Hopper, you are probably the safest. These are each vendor's latest technology offering and will probably have the longest life-time from this day forward. You just need to pick which vendor you prefer.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #11

After lots of research I bought a wineguard traveler 1000 for dish. Should be here in a couple days.
Pogo397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
I had the same issue with my KVH. If I wanted a roof mounted dish, then the Winegard Traveler would be my pick. However, I went with the portable King Tailgater for $349. Works great and I don't have to worry about parking under trees... just move the antenna to a clear spot.

If I were to buy today, I would buy the Winegard Pathfinder X2 portable antenna. Similar to the Tailgater, but is switchable between the Western and Eastern DISH orbital arcs.
I have the King Quest automatic dish (stationary). It mounts to the roof or you can use it like a tailgater. Very easy to mount, works great, finds satellite very quickly. $477 at Camping World for Direct TV, and less $$ for Dish.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #13

We have a Tracstar in-motion system on our coach that still works with Dish.

What change did Dish make that was supposed to make things stop working?
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo397 View Post
After lots of research I bought a wineguard traveler 1000 for dish. Should be here in a couple days.
Tossed my King Dome and installed the SK-1000 that I took off our 5th wheel. Works perfect and I use the Hopper/Joey system.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite