RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
new shocks

Installed 8 new Bilstein shocks on our 07 Knight today. What a job. They have the threaded stem on top and it is a real bear trying to hold the stem from turning when installing the top nut. You have to have some real long arms to reach up there. The monroes I took of were junk. They looked like real heavy duty shocks but had no resistance when you compressed them. Only 12k miles

bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
JDT

Changed mine to Koni FSD's last year. You're right, what a pain.

Don't keep us in suspense, tell us what you think about the ride now.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It will be a couple of weeks before I try them out, but I will let you know how they work out.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

I would be interested also in hearing how the ride is also. I ordered 8 shocks (koni fsd) last week. For the price, I'm expecting big things. I considered bilstein but was swayed by public opinion and my mechanic friend. should be here some time this week. Also curious to see what condition my old, 60,000 miles Monroes are in.
Galvanizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just installed Koni FDS shocks on my coach abd took a 500 mile trip. Sure did make a difference. The old Monroes at 18000 mile were very soft. They could be pushed together with little effort.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvanizd View Post
I would be interested also in hearing how the ride is also. I ordered 8 shocks (koni fsd) last week. For the price, I'm expecting big things. I considered bilstein but was swayed by public opinion and my mechanic friend. should be here some time this week. Also curious to see what condition my old, 60,000 miles Monroes are in.
Real glad I only needed four Koni's FSD's. Worth the extra money. Coach rides well.
2004 Jeep TJ 4"lift 35" tires 4:56 gears
Mark & Carole Big Bear, Ca. RVM 54
Phoenix2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I installed (had installed) 10 konis on my '04 Dynasty last Feb. and put on about 5400 mi. - They're great. Installation $ was minimal compared to the shocks. I run a marina and have a good mechanic but it would have cost me more to have him do it than Precision Frame and Alignment (in Elk River, MN).
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #8

Similar story, the Monroe's were not only junk, in my opinion they were downright dangerous! I had thoughts of sending one to Kay Toolson as a gift but he was busy going bankrupt at the time.

I had Bilsteins installed on our '08 Diplomat very soon after we bought it. The difference to ride, handling and safety is night and day.

Good decision, one you will not regret.
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
My coach is 4000 miles young. The Monroe shocks were just like all the ones reported in these threads...that is El Junko. I could easily compress them with little effort. The paper holder in the head would be as good in my opinion. Now they're scrap. I replaced mine with Bilsteins (the minority choice) a couple weeks ago but like others, haven't been able to get on the road yet. It'll be a couple more weeks and I can't wait to get going with the coach and report back here. I was influenced by the report in Motorhome Mag last year (04/09) that had a head to head test among Koni, Bilstein, and 2 others. (and I might be cheap).

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #10

I just installed 4 Bilstein shocks on the front of my 2001 Dynasty. I had one leaking shock so I was advised to replace all 4 on the front. I went with the Bilstein BE5 F629 HO these are the standard not the comfort shock which is the F628 HO.After much thought I went with these. I am very pleased and I believe for my Coach they are the best choice. I have had Bilsteins on my Corvettes and other cars.
The installation was not tough the lower Bolts required a breaker bar with a cheater pipe. The upper mounts were a stud that was very far up in the frame and hard to reach. The interesting part is that the original shocks were in very almost perfect condition. The leaking shock only was a small leak and still retained excellent damping, in fact it felt equal to the others.
There is a problem with the top mount. The new shock design has a center metal bushing which must be removed before they will mount correctly, the old shocks had no metal bushing just the rubber mount. I installed them at first with the metal bushing and during a 5 mile ride to my Storage Yard all four shocks slipped out of the top mount and were banging against the frame. It turns out that the new shocks no longer use vulcanized upper rubber mounts only inserted rubber and steel bushings in the eyelet which is also larger then before. I removed the lower bolt and the shocks dropped free. I called Bilstein and explained what had happened they said they would get back to me. Before they were able to get back to me I had mounted the the shocks without the bushing just using washers on both sides of the rubber top as the old shock had used. When Bilstein got back to me that was the way they suggested to do it.
I am now an expert on R&R these shocks. I am still very pleased with the Bilstein product I only wish they would have done some research on installation and provided instructions.
Robert
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a question for you all: What color were your Monroe shock absorbers? The reason I ask this is because my previous class "A" 2004 Winnigago Brave had black Monroe shocks. I had them replaced all around with Biltiens. The Bilstiens were yellow.
My 2007 41ft Safari Cheetah (Monoco) has yellow shock absorbers and I automatically thought they are Bilstiens. Nope, I didn't read the side of the shocks. Geez, Your not going to make me crawl underneath it again are you!!?
Thanks guys,
Tom Brickwell
Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Monroe's were yellow.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Mine were black.....

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #14

I put 4 Koni's on front 4 Bilstein on back. Spartan advised me to save my money on rear because I would notice notice Koni value on rear so put them on the front and Bilstein on rear.

dobrien is offline   Reply With Quote