RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Somewhere around TX, heading to NM and CO in the spring.
New shocks and sway bar - report

Although I was not especially unhappy with the ride of my '09 Camelot, I felt that the shocks were at their life's end. My biggest problem was in a bad tendency to understeer (turn the wheel, but coach wants to keep going straight) and when it did turn it leaned way over. Felt like I was going to lose it.

So I pulled the trigger and had the Source shocks and sway bar installed. I even got the more expensive, larger 62mm ones in the front. BTW, I already had a Saf-T-Plus installed.

Now on my first day of a long road trip. The coach handles better, road dips etc. are more controlled, and it takes less steering effort to keep it going straight. Enough that on the first day I felt less tired than I used to on a similar trip.

Ride wise, road motion is more controlled. I certainly isn't as soft as the old shocks, so the ride "feels" the road more, but that is not a bad thing. Certainly no porpoising over road humps.

I haven't hit any especially sharp curves at speed, but the tighter corners did show that the coach leaned much less going around the corner. That did contribute to a more stable feeling.

Was it worth $3,900? Well so far I am happy with everything, and I'll know more in a month when I have lots of road time. Initially I would say it was worth the time and money.

Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did you put a chrome molly sway bar in the rear also? deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCamelot View Post
Although I was not especially unhappy with the ride of my '09 Camelot, I felt that the shocks were at their life's end. My biggest problem was in a bad tendency to understeer (turn the wheel, but coach wants to keep going straight) and when it did turn it leaned way over. Felt like I was going to lose it.

So I pulled the trigger and had the Source shocks and sway bar installed. I even got the more expensive, larger 62mm ones in the front. BTW, I already had a Saf-T-Plus installed.

Now on my first day of a long road trip. The coach handles better, road dips etc. are more controlled, and it takes less steering effort to keep it going straight. Enough that on the first day I felt less tired than I used to on a similar trip.

Ride wise, road motion is more controlled. I certainly isn't as soft as the old shocks, so the ride "feels" the road more, but that is not a bad thing. Certainly no porpoising over road humps.

I haven't hit any especially sharp curves at speed, but the tighter corners did show that the coach leaned much less going around the corner. That did contribute to a more stable feeling.

Was it worth $3,900? Well so far I am happy with everything, and I'll know more in a month when I have lots of road time. Initially I would say it was worth the time and money.
Great John, I know you will continue to like the way the coach handles now. If you have good tires and the coach is aligned correctly you should be able to turn the wheel loose when on a level straight highway and the coach will track straight. Of course that is with no wind or passing vehicles. Once you get the feel of things you will notice that a slight movement of the steering wheel will actually cause the coach to turn. When we first purchased our coach I would be tired after 2 hours of driving. Now I can drive 8 hours without fatigue. I don't like to drive any longer than that.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Did you put a chrome molly sway bar in the rear also? deSanford
No, I have a tag axle coach and don't need the rear sway bars.

John

PS: I'm still using the window cleaner we bought in New Mexico!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

I'm in the Mt Hood area and want to add Safe T Plus and shocks also. Where did you get the work done?
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
I'm in the Mt Hood area and want to add Safe T Plus and shocks also. Where did you get the work done?
I installed the Saf-T-Plus myself and had Source Eng in Eugene, OR install the shocks. They make them, sell them, and install them.

John
Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
1,000 mile report

OK, now have 1,000 miles, 600 on flat interstate, 400 on two lane mountain roads, lots of turns. I think I arrive much less tired than I used to. Most of this is because very little steering input is required, the coach tracks much better. And going around corners is much better because the coach no longer leans over as much.

One area that is different is the ride itself. The new shocks are stiffer, and transfer more road bumps to the coach. Not objectionable, just like the difference between a Buick and a Corvette. As an offset, any larger road bumps are handled much better and controlled.

Was it worth almost $4,000? Yes, I think so. I'm not yet at the point I can't live without, but the ride improvement has made my driving life easier.

== John
Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not having a "tag" chrome moly anti sway bars in front and back (along with Koni's) has made my little 35' handle like a large Corvette on curves and freeway on ramps (or off ramps). deSanford PS it was worth the cost.

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks