Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
New steer tires

Really wanted to change out the 4.5 yr old GY G670's on our '06 Endeavor. After visiting several tire dealers, reading gobs of RV for threads I decided to go with the Continental HRL 2 H rated 275 80R tires. We were not unhappy with the GY's but they were rivering quite a bit and wandered badly. I was not convinced the Michelin RV tires were worth the $$ and several dealers said the Michelin's still had a soft sidewall compared to other manufacturers. They were willing to sell me the Michelins but countered that Toyo, Bridgestone Yokohama and Continental competing tires were as good and probably a better tire when you considered price, wear and age checking. I went with the Continental's and after a 1200 mile trip I am very happy with the ride comfort, quietness and track control. The GY's were pretty quiet but the Continentals are VERY quiet, much better than the GY. Segment impact noise is all but gone.
I am convinced that the marketing groups within GY and Michelin have done a good job convincing us that only they can produce a tire for the RV industry which I think is absolute BS. The Continentals have convinced me that there are other tire manufactures that are as good or better than the overpriced GY and Michelin RV tires.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #2

Those "soft sidewalls" that the Micheliens have contribute to a lower rolling resistance, which also contributes to better fuel mileage. That is the talk now days in the trucking industry, rolling resistance is a rather large factor for folks that will put on 100-125,000 miles a year. Probably not an issue for you, but a truck will almost pay for the tire in the fuel they save.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am with you Mark on the tire deal. Mike I dont know about soft sidewalls lowering rolling resistance , I do know that the proper air pressure will lower resistance, my RV tires never got any better mileage that the tires that I run now that are called truck tires.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

Mike
Are you sure you don't have that bass ackwards
Softer sidewalls will increase rolling resistance not decrease it but a smoother ride
Rolling a flat tire is harder than a full tire.....right
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I was under the impression that sidewall flex increased tire temp which greatly increased the chances of a blow out. Several years ago Michelin had a rash of problems with zipper blow outs and the main suspect was their side wall construction. I seem to recall several threads that suggested the side wall construction on these tires caused too much flex which resulted in either fatigue of the sidewall or increased tire temp and premature failure.

I have Michelin on both of our cars and previous cars but I'm not convinced they have the golden magic tire for Motorhomes. Their marketing does a good job of promoting RV tires with the resultant high price tag.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #6

I agree with you Mark and did the same thing on Jan 7th, only I went with Hankook AH-12 tires. As you said, the ride and the handling both, improved greatly over the Goodyear G670s that were rivering very badly on the steer axle. The dealer we bought from also sells Goodyear and said that he will only install the G670 tires after he is sure the buyer understands all the possible consequences of using the tire and he does not recommend it on the steer axle.
The Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Whats depressing is that alot of us have the same thing in common with the rivering on the steering tires with the G670's. Had the same prob on the last set of Gy's. (G169?)
This will be my last set of Goodyears. Got about 2 years left (I hope) on the two front tires. Seems like dealers are aware of the rivering effect. Mine didn't show up till I had about 2-3 years on the tires. I was starting to look at Mich. for the steering tires, but gotta take a look at Continentals .
Galvanizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My set of HSR-1's(Continentials) are still working great after almost a year of ownership. My Milage seems to be the same as the Goodyears(G169) or maybe a little better. I am also one of the previous Michelin tire owners who sometime back, had a zipper blowout on a previous MH I owned. By the way, Michelin still hasn't gotten back to me concerning my complaint about defective tires.
I don't see any abnormal wear patterns as yet on the Continentials. I suppose time will tell. Have only driven them about 8,000 miles. Take care.
David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #9

I know this is a steering tire thread but I need to replace all 6 tires on my 98' Beaver Patriot. I just bought it and it has a date code of 07 of 02. They look fine but they are 8 years old from Arizona.

Should I replace all of them with Continental 275/70R22.5's?

Thanks, Mike

(and what exactly is "rivering"?)