Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Tire Decision

Hi guys!

I'm looking for 6 new tires for my 2002 Diplomat. I currently have 2012 Michelins on it and the sidewalls started cracking when they were about 2 1/2-3 years old. So I'm not really excited about paying that kind of money and putting the same tires on it again. I can't compare other brands as far as ride since I've always ran Michelins. I figured I'd ask the old tired question about preferences here since I could expect to hear from people driving the same make and model of motorhome. I am a member of FMCA, so could get a discount on them as well as Continental or Hankook. Anybody want to dive in with an opinion or suggestion?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem with cracking on the mich tires, my tire dealer sells all the brands but suggested sumitomos tires so I went with them, took one 1300 mile trip with them so far and will have to say they ride as good if not better than the mich tires I had, nice balance also. needed very little weights.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

I took off 8 year old continentals only because they were 8 years old but they looked like new and the Previous owner rolled a lot of miles on them. Tire dealer said they were in great shape and he would sell them to a farmer.
Installed new firestones they seem very good also.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #4

In January 2018 bought 6 - Yokohama 255/70R22.5 RY023 16 ply on ebay for recently purchased used motorhome. The old front date stamp was 0413 (Sampson) and the rear was 0408 (Yokohama). The price included everything (no tax) and were shipped to a local truck tire center. I was happy with the ride on the old tires and am still happy. Since tires must meet standards, matching the tires to the task seems to be the most important factor. Since the Yokohama lasted 10 years, I went with them. They were also made in the US.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm riding on 1 year old Yokohama's and I love them. You can also consider Hankook, Toyo, Bridgestone, and Continental's. They are all well made.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies! They are encouraging for sure!
Old 07-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #7

We gave up on michelins after two sets cracked after 2 1/2 years. We went with Toyo and couldn't be happier.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I'm riding on 1 year old Yokohama's and I love them. You can also consider Hankook, Toyo, Bridgestone, and Continental's. They are all well made.
I guess if you are listing Bridgestone, you will add Firestone...same company. I have the Firestones two years now and so far so good...Can't talk about ride though because all of the roads are so bad and these are the only tires I know.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #9

Michelins on motorhomes just doesn't seem to work out well , they all start to
crack , some right away .

Bridgestone has been very good on our coaches but they now cost about as much
as Michelins ( to much )

Toyo has become the tire of choice lately , that's what I have now and really
I like the Toyo tires

I'm sure the other brands are good too but I like to let others try them out for
awhile before I switch .

Some time ago I was introduced to AITA https://aitaonline.com/
You don't need to be a trucker to join .
It is free to join and has some great benefits , among those are tires .

I really haven't investigated their tire line up but I received an email
from them where their GoodYear Marathon was 64% off .
https://aitaonline.com/products/tires
I also receive significant discounts at NAPA stores on parts etc .
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we bought our HR last year, I was concerned that it had Ironman tires on it, 2 years old (11R.22.5) After some research I found out that commercial truck and bus tires sold in North America have to meet NA commercial standards, and Ironman are well regarded dependable tires, "whew"!
Made by Hercules.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Recently put on 6 new Sumitomo's and so far have been very impressed with them.
I can say that at first I was not sold but when I got the correct air pressure in them (shop put 110 in all and I weighed and went to their site and saw that I should be running 95) all was good.
I switched from 2011 Michelin XZA's that were still in amazing condition but I got worried about the age. Dealer said he had never seen such good condition tires of that age especially Michelins. I attribute that to always running the correct pressure and balancing.
nuklhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #12

My very old RV came with very old Bridgestone tires. They looked like they were nearly new. The previous owners kept tire covers on them.
I cannot remember the age of the tires and if I remember correctly the steers were newer than the drives. I think those drive tires were nearly closer to 20 than 10 years old.
Baeed on that, I would have no hesitation recommending Bridgestone.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’ve ran Michelin’s on my rigs for the past 15 years and never had cracking. What works for me are using the correct tire pressure and not letting the tires sit in the exact same position for more than 30 days, even when in winter storage.
Larson RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
@Larson RV, I like the idea not letting the tires set in the same spot more than 30 days. My diesel shop also recommended taking it out and driving it every 30 days as well, not just starting and letting it idle. They said that way the seals and everything gets lubed. Makes sense about the tires!