Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

New to us 2002 Monaco Diplomat ..

Hello all ,
We just got out first class a 40 foot dst 3 slides .. CUMMINS ,, isc .the engine and drive train is a easy thing for me because I worked for Cummins .. and work on diesels every day .. the rest is ok .. but I have to admit I have been lucky who had this motor home before us really took good care of it hope I can keep it the same way ..
Hereís my short story , almost 50 years old, we had a toy hauler . 40 foot fifth wheel
I use my Dodge Ram to tow it dually. We have done trips all over , on east coast
It was good .. my wife got cancer and had a operation that on long rides in the truck simple not good ..

So ,, time for a change I found this motor home .. guy was nice took my toy hauler in on trade , read good things about Monacoís , so I purchased it had a Cummins canít be bad Ö

So , paid my money .. got a temp tag and drove away , from a pa location
I do drive large machines dump trucks and etc . Have my cal because I work on diesels , now mainly diesel boats ..but drove every machine and truck made because I repair them since a little kid .

I was a bit surprised I was like holy crap this thing rides like a Mack truck with nothing in the back of the box ..it kinda all over the road .. I got out to look over things , funny things Iím a dot certified inspector too .. for trucks . Said this thing has a worn something .. nope 62 k Miiles nice under there no rust again someone had really taken care of this coach .I did notice fancy new shocks bill steins
( spell check on ) I have put them on some off-road custom trucks we built and said wow they make a stiff ride ..the ride home solo blowing 30 pouring rain I fell like I was in a 50 foot boat in 5 foot seas .. but on the water there no lanes ..
It was fun ( not ) got home and then did research , found a ton on this site .
Because this happened years ago ,, because it was a 2002,

What to buy ..
New Monroe shocks
Watts tie bars
Trw box is the best money ?

I want to change tires ,,2015,year on there now Hancockís , go to Michelin only?

I work on very high end boats and one thing that I have to say for this machine coach it looks well built , wiring is neat no major stress cracks , some delamination on one wall next to slide it fiberglass is easy fix Ö
The best part it all works ..drove it 270 miles ran ok ..Cummins
Caps not my favorite fuel system but with fass system it will be fine ..
If not I will install p pumps ..

I hope I can make this coach ride as good. As it looks .
See tons of info on here ..

Thanks in advance hitting Florida ,, for winter trip soon with wife sheís has not been in a ride in it yet , I will wait till Florida trip to take here on a ride , since it rides like a Mack ..truck ..with springs .

It does have a outlet issue as well now power front outlets and kitchen
Figure gfi some place .. out ..

Thanks in advance .. hopefully can help with a Cummins issue or onan issue which is also one of my specialties onan level three tech .

Sorry for typos
Sspdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

The first thing I would check is the tire inflation. Get it weighed and set the air pressure according to weight, not max pressure on the sidewalls. Over inflated tires can make it road wander like a skater on ice.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sspdiesel View Post
Hello all ,
We just got out first class a 40 foot dst 3 slides .. CUMMINS ,, isc .the engine and drive train is a easy thing for me because I worked for Cummins .. and work on diesels every day .. the rest is ok .. but I have to admit I have been lucky who had this motor home before us really took good care of it hope I can keep it the same way ..
Here’s my short story , almost 50 years old, we had a toy hauler . 40 foot fifth wheel
I use my Dodge Ram to tow it dually. We have done trips all over , on east coast
It was good .. my wife got cancer and had a operation that on long rides in the truck simple not good ..

So ,, time for a change I found this motor home .. guy was nice took my toy hauler in on trade , read good things about Monaco’s , so I purchased it had a Cummins can’t be bad …

So , paid my money .. got a temp tag and drove away , from a pa location
I do drive large machines dump trucks and etc . Have my cal because I work on diesels , now mainly diesel boats ..but drove every machine and truck made because I repair them since a little kid .

I was a bit surprised I was like holy crap this thing rides like a Mack truck with nothing in the back of the box ..it kinda all over the road .. I got out to look over things , funny things I’m a dot certified inspector too .. for trucks . Said this thing has a worn something .. nope 62 k Miiles nice under there no rust again someone had really taken care of this coach .I did notice fancy new shocks bill steins
( spell check on ) I have put them on some off-road custom trucks we built and said wow they make a stiff ride ..the ride home solo blowing 30 pouring rain I fell like I was in a 50 foot boat in 5 foot seas .. but on the water there no lanes ..
It was fun ( not ) got home and then did research , found a ton on this site .
Because this happened years ago ,, because it was a 2002,

What to buy ..
New Monroe shocks
Watts tie bars
Trw box is the best money ?

I want to change tires ,,2015,year on there now Hancock’s , go to Michelin only?

I work on very high end boats and one thing that I have to say for this machine coach it looks well built , wiring is neat no major stress cracks , some delamination on one wall next to slide it fiberglass is easy fix …
The best part it all works ..drove it 270 miles ran ok ..Cummins
Caps not my favorite fuel system but with fass system it will be fine ..
If not I will install p pumps ..

I hope I can make this coach ride as good. As it looks .
See tons of info on here ..

Thanks in advance hitting Florida ,, for winter trip soon with wife she’s has not been in a ride in it yet , I will wait till Florida trip to take here on a ride , since it rides like a Mack ..truck ..with springs .

It does have a outlet issue as well now power front outlets and kitchen
Figure gfi some place .. out ..

Thanks in advance .. hopefully can help with a Cummins issue or onan issue which is also one of my specialties onan level three tech .

Sorry for typos
couple of suggestions just to get you started.

1. I have Toyo tires all around and really like them. Much cheaper than the Michelins.
2. Be sure your ride height is adjusted correctly.
3. Weigh coach and set tire pressures to that weight.
4. I would go with either Koni or Bilstein shocks. I replaced my monroes when coach had 20000 miles. They were junk. But, new shocks will not help with wondering or steering issues.
5. Identify which steering box you have. Some are adjustable, some are not.
6. Look into monaco watts. It really made my coach ride/track nicely.

Www.monacowatts.com
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #4

Congrats on the new coach. I can't help at all on the ride quality issues. Might just be the way that it is. Mine bounces around a bit, too although not as bad as what you describe (although I don't have any other experience with such a large vehicle so not sure what "normal" is.)

I had GFI issues and had to find some old ones on eBay that met the "requirements" of the inverter. If you google the model of your inverter you can find the manual which will list which GFIs are compatible. I was skeptical but it quit blowing once I returned it so it must be a valid fix.

Will be nice to have a real cummins tech hanging around! I've had my share of issues as have most people on the forum. Cummins hasn't been the best service experience and I've had a lot better luck with the help I've received on the forum.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:58 AM   #5

I have a 2002 diplomat also, I found the gfi in the back just in front of the rear sink. It should reset the plugs in the kitchen and front.
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:51 AM   #6

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new to you rig.
I to am fairly new to the Class A game as only having mine since March. Have had trailers and fifth wheels and still have a fifth wheel but new to the Class A game. Anyway, my Caymans had a crap of a ride and I changed out the shocks to Koni's and adjusted the air in the tires from the max pressure rating down about 16 lbs total. This really smoothed out the ride and took the harshness out of the jarring bumps. Still not Cadillac but much better. As for wandering I've been looking at the Saf-T-Plus RV Steering Stabilizer as their reviews are good and I have a buddy that put one on his Class C and is happy with it. Just my .02 worth.
Enjoy it.
skinr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you have experience with Cummins, people buy these coaches and don't understand how complex they are. You have a head start.

My advice (only worth what you pay for it) is to do one thing at a time and test.

Locally it makes sense to replace tires as they are almost aged out but I doubt it will make a difference. You can spend your money on Michelins, I did that once on our Class C and the sidewalls cracked so bad that after 5 years I was scared to run them (and I don't scare easy) so I replaced. My first set of tires I put on our current coach were Bridgestone with looked new when I pulled them off but they aged out, by a long period. Last set I installed were Yokohama's which seem to perform well. Install a TPMS, worth it, I just got a TST 507.

I doubt shocks will make much of a difference.

If you have a Sheppard Steering box it would be worth the change to the TRW. Lots of good comments on this change. If you do change drive it and see how it does. May be all you need. FWIW, I have a Sheppard box and my coach drives great, no need for me to change.

The Watts does help, lots of people swear by it, if all the other stuff hasn't helped you ride it would be worth the cost and effort for the Watts. I have not done this, don't think I need to since I am completely satisfied with my ride.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info ..
When I look at this ride of this coach .. it’s a hard intact on bridge crossings and a bounce and bounce
Seems like a prefect cruiser on straight nice road .. I did go out last night and take a ride ..
put it in my shop today .. to see what I have . Looks all stock except bilstein shocks
Air pressure in front tires 106 , install a Tire monitoring system .safety reason .
When I see this chassis I have worked on nyc buses with Cummins , it’s surly different ..
I want to go out and put dual shocks softer ones on front like a lifted truck ..lol
Best part of this coach is the owners group , it has already be figured out .
Just have to spend the money ..

Thanks for help ..as far as info on gfi location I can only find one in rear bath feel like there’s more the. One , but been focused on a service .
Adjusted valve and new belt , transmission service greased drive shaft , and greased slack adjusters , and steering joints ..
Going to go over front bearings .. in am
Did all oils and antifreeze ..Cummins es coolant
So far getting there .
Old 11-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Monaco, great choice, ditto on Toyo tires.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #10

Hello , I decided to go with watts they sent me the order form looks like I have to measure .. some things to get the right kits .

Does the watts Improve the ride as well as the driving ?
Think I should get Monroe shocks thinking my Hearst ride is from those billstein shocks ?some one used them to try to make the driving better ?
Thanks ..
Old 11-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #11

Congratulations on the new to you rig. We bought our 2002 40í DP almost 2 years ago with only 48k miles.

Most DP owners that donít like their Bilstiens (usually because they porpoise) go with Konis because they are valved better, so they rebound better. Iíve never heard anyone recommend Monroe.

My Spartan chassis is different from yours but the best things I did for ride and handling was tighten up the steering box slack and adjust the ride height, and get the air pressure in the tires correct for the load. You should be able to get the ride height specifications from your chassis manufacturer.

If it still wanders after you get all the slack out of the steering, and you know the alignment is spot on, the wats link setup should do the trick.

BTWÖIíll be picking your brain in the future about an intermittent generator issue Iím having.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2001 dynasty 36í Bilstien shocks, Toyo tires, 2 air bags at each corner. It handles as good as my car. I can drive it over 600 miles a day without any problem. I have heard that anything over 38í you want a tag axle, especially with multiple slides. Iíve also heard that the models with only 1 air bag at each corner donít drive very well. Iíve never heard anyone complain about the Bilstien shocks or Toyo tires, but have heard the Michelinís do ride better. I run 100 pounds in the rear tires, and 110 in the front.(cold) Could be worth a front end alignment and check for leaking shocks
Old 11-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sspdiesel View Post
Hello , I decided to go with watts they sent me the order form looks like I have to measure .. some things to get the right kits .

Does the watts Improve the ride as well as the driving ?
Think I should get Monroe shocks thinking my Hearst ride is from those billstein shocks ?some one used them to try to make the driving better ?
Thanks ..
SSP, I will address the Watts question. I installed a front watts on my 2000 Dynasty. No it will not improve the ride. It makes my coach feel more tight and solid with less body roll.
Weigh your coach "front and rear at least" for proper front tire pressure. If you need 105 and you have 110 cold those tires heat up to 120PSI and that thing will beat you up.
The shock topic is pretty blurry some like Koni others Bilstein. I have decided it is a try and test it for your results deal with these Monaco's on what works for you. Its only Money.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:43 AM   #14

I agree

Yes ,
I agree with you to try things spend some money ..I installed a tire pressure monitoring system .. so I can fine tune the tires .. my service truck I drive every day tire pressure high rides hard .
I ordered the Koni shocks taking off the billstein ones on there now .
I will report ,

My gut feeling after working on trucks with air ride ..for many years
The key to this is to change air bags , a lot of years on them sitting there not Mikeís itís rubber like a tire itís gotta have a life span rating .. it also has to react
Different when it gets old ..

It would be nice to find someone that got one New Years ago and see what they think .,

Tags
diplomat, monaco, monaco diplomat