Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

New to us 2005 Executive

Thanks again to so many of you for sharing your knowledge and experience. I hope some of my posts help people as well.

I have a new to me 05 Executive that shares a lot of common parts from our 1999 Signature we traded. I am pretty familiar with the 99 model but have questions that maybe people can answer from experience.

One noted item, the Trace engineering Inverter RV3012 and RC-7 controller appear identical to our 99 model. On our 99 we could have inverter on all the time, start the gen or plug into shore power and it would automatically switch to the new power source and put the inverter in standby.
The new system does not switch to shore power unless I turn the inverter off but it does switch to generator power automatically.
Is there an adjustment, switch or program to correct this, or is it changed since 1999 or perhaps some other issue causing this? I believe it switches from shore/gen power to inverting normally, it is the other way around I am seeing issues

Two, the rear air pressure gage stopped working 2 hours after we left the dealership! I have read there are bad solder joints in the sender for the gage but can't locate the magic black boxes. Any idea where they might be installed?

Three, the door air seal sometimes stays inflated after engine shut down. I suspect the air switch is just sticking but curious if anyone knows of a "known" issue to address for this.

Four, the factory sub woofer is wired to where exactly? It is not working and I suspect the recently installed stereo just did not hook to it. The wiring diagram only shows the woofer to go to what appears to be a factory shelf top stereo but does not indicate where that might have been (right side entertainment system, dash stereo, some other place...).

Five, the Aladdin shows the coach electrical systems and seems to have a 2 second or so delay which is fine. I noticed though that when running the generator sometimes one or the other line voltages will indicate like 75 volts for a split second. I have verified that the outlets in the coach do not reflect this indication as accurate. Also, I can hear no changes in generator RPM or tone and see the frequency change from ~60 to ~77 HZ. I suspect just noisy voltage is causing Aladdin indicator errors, curious if anyone has seen this or how to correct it.

Six, I have noticed that on some intersections/corners with the tag raised that I will get an ABS Tag warning. I believe it is just one of the tags catching a bump or whatever spinning it which freaks the computer out. I have tried the cycle ignition on, drive a little, stop, restart, redrive, restart thing to correct it but this seems like a lot of effort. Anyone know of any tricks to dealing with this?

Seven, needing tires and have read here that TOYO tires are a great solution to Michelin. Not sure what I am going with yet but curious what Toyo tires are good for this coach. 295/80 R22.5 Regionals or Highway?

Sorry for such a long read and thanks in advance.
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #2

I will comment on a couple of your issues. First the subwoofer. If it's the same as our 05 Dynasty and located under the kitchen sink cabinet, the wires terminate in the pass side overhead cabinet where the entertainment system is. The subwoofer used is non powered and most new ones want a powered sub. If that's the case you either have to replace the sub or wire in a separate amp to power it, which is what we did.
The voltage and frequency issue may be a loose or floating neutral. Check the transfer switch and gen connections to make sure they are tight.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #3

My Monaco manual says you may damage your tag axle if it is in raised position and exceeding over 5 or 10 miles an hour, can't remember which mph is correct?

Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I found the said wiring at the Sony DVD/VHS player in the passenger side entertainment cabinet. I had no idea that was an "entertainment" system, I thought it was just an old player. Of course, it does not work
Is that player/stereo worth trying to fix?

I tightened all the generator terminals under the right front access corner and swapped line 1 and 2 hots just because. Loosened and tightened all transfer switch connectors as well as the connectors in the Trace inverter under the access panel. I ran the gen about 1 hour and did not see the issue "yet". Also, curious, the RC-7 is switching to shore power now after gen shut down, so maybe that issue is corrected?

Outbound, the tag axle should go down when hitting 2nd gear and up when hitting 1st gear. Not sure how to affect the speed in MPH of which it moves?

Thanks!
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I will comment on a couple of your issues. First the subwoofer. If it's the same as our 05 Dynasty and located under the kitchen sink cabinet, the wires terminate in the pass side overhead cabinet where the entertainment system is. The subwoofer used is non powered and most new ones want a powered sub. If that's the case you either have to replace the sub or wire in a separate amp to power it, which is what we did.
The voltage and frequency issue may be a loose or floating neutral. Check the transfer switch and gen connections to make sure they are tight.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Thanks again to so many of you for sharing your knowledge and experience. I hope some of my posts help people as well.

I have a new to me 05 Executive that shares a lot of common parts from our 1999 Signature we traded. I am pretty familiar with the 99 model but have questions that maybe people can answer from experience.

One noted item, the Trace engineering Inverter RV3012 and RC-7 controller appear identical to our 99 model. On our 99 we could have inverter on all the time, start the gen or plug into shore power and it would automatically switch to the new power source and put the inverter in standby.

The new system does not switch to shore power unless I turn the inverter off but it does switch to generator power automatically.

Is there an adjustment, switch or program to correct this, or is it changed since 1999 or perhaps some other issue causing this? I believe it switches from shore/gen power to inverting normally, it is the other way around I am seeing issues

Two, the rear air pressure gage stopped working 2 hours after we left the dealership! I have read there are bad solder joints in the sender for the gage but can't locate the magic black boxes. Any idea where they might be installed?

Three, the door air seal sometimes stays inflated after engine shut down. I suspect the air switch is just sticking but curious if anyone knows of a "known" issue to address for this.

Four, the factory sub woofer is wired to where exactly? It is not working and I suspect the recently installed stereo just did not hook to it. The wiring diagram only shows the woofer to go to what appears to be a factory shelf top stereo but does not indicate where that might have been (right side entertainment system, dash stereo, some other place...).

Five, the Aladdin shows the coach electrical systems and seems to have a 2 second or so delay which is fine. I noticed though that when running the generator sometimes one or the other line voltages will indicate like 75 volts for a split second. I have verified that the outlets in the coach do not reflect this indication as accurate. Also, I can hear no changes in generator RPM or tone and see the frequency change from ~60 to ~77 HZ. I suspect just noisy voltage is causing Aladdin indicator errors, curious if anyone has seen this or how to correct it.

Six, I have noticed that on some intersections/corners with the tag raised that I will get an ABS Tag warning. I believe it is just one of the tags catching a bump or whatever spinning it which freaks the computer out. I have tried the cycle ignition on, drive a little, stop, restart, redrive, restart thing to correct it but this seems like a lot of effort. Anyone know of any tricks to dealing with this?

Seven, needing tires and have read here that TOYO tires are a great solution to Michelin. Not sure what I am going with yet but curious what Toyo tires are good for this coach. 295/80 R22.5 Regionals or Highway?

Sorry for such a long read and thanks in advance.

Windecker

For tires, check the new FMCA program with Continental Tire. They have a very complete line of commercial tires and are considerably cheaper than the Michelin FMCA program. Their HSR2 SA in 295/80r22.5 is $367.55 for tire plus FET. You would also have state sales tax and the standard mount/balance and disposal fee.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #6

Hi Windecker,
I was not aware that tag axle lifted in 1st gear and then lowered in 2nd gear, is that standard or does it have to be done manually? Guess I need to take a look, first time I have heard this, although it does make sense.

Outbound
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #7

Thanks Steve.
Been reading as much as I can find about tires. There is a lot of information out there but honestly so many details are missing from various posts it is hard to know if I am looking at apples or oranges.

Outbound,
Well, not sure exactly. I was told to put the switch on the left console marked Tag Axle on, and the tag will raise and lower as discussed. If the switch is left off, the tag just stays on the ground like normal.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
For tires, check the new FMCA program with Continental Tire. They have a very complete line of commercial tires and are considerably cheaper than the Michelin FMCA program. Their HSR2 SA in 295/80r22.5 is $367.55 for tire plus FET. You would also have state sales tax and the standard mount/balance and disposal fee.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #8

Windecker, I leave my tag down except when backing into a tight spot where I need the steer tires turned as far as they will go. I also raise the tag when backing the last few feet into my shed as soon as the mirror clears the side of the door and I take the front of the coach toward the wall. I don't want it stored with the tags in a bind. I have a 2004 Executive and my manual says not to drive over 5 MPH with the tag raised. The tags will automatically come down but there is really no reason to have them up in normal driving conditions.
I don't know if you have the same sony system as mine but if you do I wouldn't waste my time fixing it. I wasn't happy with the quality of picture when using the DVD so I replaced the sony with a receiver and separate Bluray player. On the back side of that sony there will be speaker wires with little plastic connectors that are color coded. One of those will go to your subwoofer. Is there another system that has been added for the surround sound and DVD player? If so, it may not have gotten hooked up to you sub. All of my speakers were 3-4 ohm speakers so I replaced them with the new speakers that came with the package I purchased (home stereo system). Those 3-4 ohm speakers are hard on a home stereo system that is designed for higher ohm speakers, they will make the amp run hotter than normal. It is hard to find a system that powers the sub these days but I did find one last summer and it works well.
On your door air seal, there is a regulator in the generator compartment and it should be adjusted to 3 or 4 PSI and never above 5 PSI. You are probably correct in thinking that the solenoid is sticking. It should only be inflated with the engine running and the transmission in gear. It should be pretty easy to check if it is inflating and deflating as it should with the help of another person you trust not to run over you. If it doesn't deflate I would try tapping the solenoid and see if it trips or just try cleaning it up if you can get inside it.
Hope you get these items solved and enjoy your new coach.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Steve.
Been reading as much as I can find about tires. There is a lot of information out there but honestly so many details are missing from various posts it is hard to know if I am looking at apples or oranges.

Outbound,
Well, not sure exactly. I was told to put the switch on the left console marked Tag Axle on, and the tag will raise and lower as discussed. If the switch is left off, the tag just stays on the ground like normal.
Windecker
Windecker,

I installed 8 Toyo 144a 295/80x22.5 tires 18 months ago and am completely happy with them and the service I got from Les Schwab in Tillamook, OR. The cost out the door was $3800.

I raise the tag when I have to make full lock turns into camp sites. It makes a small but often useful difference in the turning radius, especially backing up.
That aside, I leave the switch off.

There is an ABS reset button on the diagnostic panel under the dash. Pushing that will usually clear the ATC/ABS fault. f that doesn't work, drop the tag, drive a couple of minutes and restart the coach. That's what works on ours.

You are rignt, the tag will drop automatically once the coach shifts into second gear, but on ours the alarm continues to sound until I also turn the switch off.

Cheers,
Old 03-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Thanks Bob and Dave.
I have been hitting the tag when I get to turning intersections, guess no need to do that. I figured that raising the tag was for easing tire wear mostly and 2nd tighter turn radius. Maybe I am over thinking it.
Where is this reset button or diagnostic box? I did find the manual and that you can stop the beeping alarm for Tag ABS by pushing both up and down buttons at the same time, that helps!

What model stereo did you use that has the amp installed? It would be great to have a heads up on a model to ease some research times:-)

Still hoping to hear where the magic black boxes for the air tank pressure gages is/are if anyone knows. My rear air gage does not indicate until I drive a little while, then it pops on.

Thanks again all.
Windecker
Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #11

Windecker, I bought an Onkyo HT-S3700. It works very well for what I wanted but I don't think it is still available. The speakers all hook up the same way as the Sony I removed once you remove the Sony ends on the speaker wires. It was a job to get the subwoofer under the sink but it did fit by removing some sink plumbing and reinstalling after the speaker was in. I also had to mount the new speakers which was a little work since they didn't just fit like the originals. Onkyo has replaced the HT-S3700 with a model HT-S3800 but the speakers do hook up differently. It could be made to work though. The new system uses the same speakers. If you are interested in that system after checking it out I can let you know how I mounted my speakers. I am assuming you have the same speakers mine came with but that may not be the case. Some of these coaches were upgraded with bose speakers, mine was not. If you look at the back side of one of your speakers and it is 3 or 4 ohm it really isn't a good combination when hooked up to a home system. I did look for speakers that were 8 ohm to direct replace the ones in the coach but didn't have much luck. I have the TV hooked up with HDMI cable so the picture is great and the sound is very good also.
I will look on my coach tomorrow for the box for the air gauge. Have you checked the back side of the gauge to make sure that connection is good. My coach has a panel on the top side of the dash that is held down with 2 screws for easy access to the gauges.

Dave
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #12

Windecker, I think that unless you drive a terrific amount of miles, your tires will age out before they wear out. I still think the only time you need to raise the tag is for tight maneuvers in parking lots, driveways, campgrounds,etc, but not when driving on the street. I do notice a difference when parking and turning tight with the tag raised, but I think that is really the only time the tags should be raised. Maybe someone else will join in and clarify.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #13

I rarely lift our tag unless I have to make a VERY tight turn into a site in a campground. We full time and stay at about 45 different campgrounds in a year, and if I had to guess I raised the tag twice. Remember when you raise the tag whatever weight you have on it is transferred to the drive axle, that's why you want to do it only at very slow speeds and short durations. Just my opinion.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Bob and Dave.
<snip>
Where is this reset button or diagnostic box? I did find the manual and that you can stop the beeping alarm for Tag ABS by pushing both up and down buttons at the same time, that helps!
<snip>
On our coach the "Systems Diagnostic Center" is located above the Jake Brake pedal, just below the fascia panel that seals off the underside of the dash. It is approximately 10 inches long and has three large round female connectors for test equipment, plus the unmarked ABS reset switch. If it isn't readily visible, I suggest calling Monaco and asking where it is on your year coach.
FWIW, the ABS button is described on page 392 in our manual. The dianostic panel location is shown on page 377.

Cheers,