Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Guys and Gals,
CheetahGirl and I wanted to have a window awning put on our roadside rear window so we could have one on every window.
Problem number one: Guess what? Carefree permanantly shutdown thier anodizing plant due to the EPA and no longer makes the cool looking brass anodized alluminum parts for the awning. We bought one that is painted to similarly match the coach. It'll do I guess but it's just not going to match the other awning pieces. It's down to this; do we want another awning on that window or not?; the answer is yes because of the hot desert sun.
Problem number two: Uh ohhhhh....the material colors don't match even though the color name on the coach awning material and the new awning material matches. Hmmm.... The coach awning is taupe color underneath but olive green on the top. The new awning is toupe on both sides. Hmmm...

Gaurenty says that the awning material fades after awhile. I dissagreed because the top of the material facing the sun is a darker color and not lighter like usual fading. Guarenty called Monoco and Monoco said that the materials that they use are custom for Monoco by Carefree so that there can't ba any difference. My take is that the top coating probably turned a different color over time.

Problem solved. Guess what?! Monoco says that there is a fading issue and THEY will send new material to replace ALL of the awnings' material on our coach!!! (even the main awning) So now ALL of the awnings will match the material of the NEW awning that we are having put on. I can not believe it. That is crazy, but great news!

The only thing that won't match will be the new awning arms and metal cover, but it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb like they would if the materials were different.

I felt kind of bad for the service rep because I wouldn't believe him about the fading issue, but it still led to the phonecall to Monoco with the great results.

We're currently hanging out at Guarenty's camping parking lot in Junction City, OR. Gaurenty is closed for the holiday and we'll bring it back to them in Coburg on Tuesday morning to get the rest of the warrenty issues taken care off. We'll leave it with them and pick it up the next Friday. We'll be hanging out with CheetahGirl's mom in Rogue River for the week.

It looks like we'll have to come back in August to get the new material put on the coach because it has to be ordered. I'll see if I can get a picture posted of the new awning.

Later,
AKBrick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Guys and Gals,
CheetahGirl and I wanted to have a window awning put on our roadside rear window so we could have one on every window.
Problem number one: Guess what? Carefree permanantly shutdown thier anodizing plant due to the EPA and no longer makes the cool looking brass anodized alluminum parts for the awning. We bought one that is painted to similarly match the coach. It'll do I guess but it's just not going to match the other awning pieces. It's down to this; do we want another awning on that window or not?; the answer is yes because of the hot desert sun.
Problem number two: Uh ohhhhh....the material colors don't match even though the color name on the coach awning material and the new awning material matches. Hmmm.... The coach awning is taupe color underneath but olive green on the top. The new awning is toupe on both sides. Hmmm...

Gaurenty says that the awning material fades after awhile. I dissagreed because the top of the material facing the sun is a darker color and not lighter like usual fading. Guarenty called Monoco and Monoco said that the materials that they use are custom for Monoco by Carefree so that there can't ba any difference. My take is that the top coating probably turned a different color over time.

Problem solved. Guess what?! Monoco says that there is a fading issue and THEY will send new material to replace ALL of the awnings' material on our coach!!! (even the main awning) So now ALL of the awnings will match the material of the NEW awning that we are having put on. I can not believe it. That is crazy, but great news!

The only thing that won't match will be the new awning arms and metal cover, but it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb like they would if the materials were different.

I felt kind of bad for the service rep because I wouldn't believe him about the fading issue, but it still led to the phonecall to Monoco with the great results.

We're currently hanging out at Guarenty's camping parking lot in Junction City, OR. Gaurenty is closed for the holiday and we'll bring it back to them in Coburg on Tuesday morning to get the rest of the warrenty issues taken care off. We'll leave it with them and pick it up the next Friday. We'll be hanging out with CheetahGirl's mom in Rogue River for the week.

It looks like we'll have to come back in August to get the new material put on the coach because it has to be ordered. I'll see if I can get a picture posted of the new awning.

Later,
AKBrick
Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ak...
Can you believe it! Look how good your Karma is since you started paying the "Troll's Toll"!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
AK,
Check out nwrvsupply.com for you anodized arms. Just last week Joe at Northwest RV Supply picked up a pallet of 08 and 09 parts from Monaco. Call Joe at 541 746-9092. He is on I5 at exit 189. You have been by it on your way to Monaco Mama's.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Happycarz...
He has actually been in Northwest RV Supply when he was staying at Deerwood. What is bad is that I never even thought of Joe carrying a discontinued awning bracket! Sorry, Joe
AK... you may want to check with him on your way south on Tuesday AM...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Harry
CheetahGirl and I went there like M.M. said. Unfortunately this was before last week. He had a couple pallets of awnings and arms sitting outside that did not match. Now unfortunately we have already taken care of business, but there is a possibility that we can still stop there and look at his goodies. Man, I just LOVE that place! If he does have them I can still get the service rep to hold off on putting the new awning on until we check out the sizes.

Thanks again Harry.

AKBrick
Old 05-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
M.M.
Thanks for stopping by last night and giving CheetahGirl some irv2 pointers (and me too).
Oh yeah, and thanks for lightening up on the bad Karma! Things are just getting brighter and brighter.

SacsTC,
We don't know if we can make the music festival. M.M. told us about it last night. It sounds like a great party! If we do show up then I think the Troll will be owing me some karma.

P.S. Fix that deck and SELL that house Dude! M.M. showed us your place from up in the sky on google map. Nice place but it's missing something around the pool area!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi my Peeps,
Well the new awning is now on and looks great! It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb because the paint matches the coach pretty well. We will come back in August to get the awning material changed out. Also there are some other minor paint issues that need to be addressed before it will be like new before the warrenty runs out in October. There are some small paint chips along some edges and a few places where Monoco completely missed. Mostly where some where the main wall panels match up to the slide frames and the door frame. I wish we noticed them the first time that we were in for paint. It's funny how when you start really looking for things,...you find some! I think that's our big project for the next couple of months. We'll start really getting nit picky and get everything taken care of before the "Warrenty D-day".

We are also getting our couch worked on. The back spring let loose and the back goes back to far when you sit back on it. (Say that three times). More like a hollow spot where the spring let loose. The local rv furniture store will take care of that. We are REAL close to being perfect.

Soooo, aaaaannnnnywayyy, it looks like one more trip to Guarenty RV Service this year.
again
I must say that I'm glad that we are fulltiming it in the MH because we are finding stuff to get taken care of before the warrenty runs out. When we were in Alaska, we had to use our Winne Brave on the weekends and then go to rv service during the week. We then had to put it to sleep for six months and then continue with the warrenty issues after the snow melted. We never did get everything done under warrenty before we traded it in for the Cheetah. It was a viscious circle.

We hope to see you all in Albany, OR at the FMCA Ralley this week. Cheers!

AKBrick