RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

New Wireless Access

Hi All, In preparation for our first trip of this year we have been searching for a method to receive Internet Access. Today we went to the Verizon Store and found what we think is a better method. They were selling a Mini HP laptop which included both wireless access which is where we find it and use of the Verizon network. The fees are $39.99 for 250 MB per month or $59.99 for 5GB per month. The 250 MB is upgradeable to 5 GB which we will do as soon as we get going. WIFI is not charged as part of the plan. We were originally going with one of the MIFI units and purchase another Laptop to supplement our present Laptop but this seems to give us a better option.
The MIFI would have cost $49.99 after rebate with the usage charges additional, this HP cost $199.99 with a $100. instant rebate and a $99.99 mail in rebate total cost zero plus Tax. The contract is for two years with the ability to suspend service for 90 days at a time at $5. per month
Security was a factor. We can surf and access the Forums with open WIFI and use the Verizon Broadband on the HP Mini for secure access for banking etc.
Sounds Good we do have 30 days to check it out..
Robert

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

I want to clarify a couple of things. You may understand this but it was not clear to me.
1) Your monthly charges with an air card and a separate Cradlepoint router, the Mi-Fi or your Netbook would all be exactly the same, $40 or $60/month.
2) Wi-Fi has nothing to do with a cellular connection and is always free. You use the computers wi-fi connection to access other routers that can provide an internet connection. This could be the Mi-Fi's wi-fi, a Cradlepoint wi-fi, an RV park wi-fi or any number of paid or free wi-fi connections such as McDonald's is providing.
3) If you still want to have 2 computers in your coach so you and the spouse don't have to fight over who gets how much time on the internet, you will not be able to share this connection like you could with a Mi-Fi or a stand alone air card and a Cradlepoint router (my personal choice for the most flexibility).

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #3

Hi Bill, I do appreciate your response. Perhaps I was not clear.
I have used my Laptop for WIFI on the road before, the last time was this past October and November. There were places that I could access the internet with WIFI for free and it worked pretty well. We were close to some fast food (not McDonalds at that time) and were able to get a good connection. I have been concerned about Security at these free access locations particularly with Banking and Bill Payment. As I understand it the Verizon MIFI or a broadband card would give access to the Verizon Broadband Network with my current laptop which I have heard is reasonably secure for my Banking. The coverage also seems to be fairly good for where we plan to travel.
Since my wife wanted to bring an older Laptop that we had, I had planned to go with the MIFI from Verizon which is usable with 5 computers at one time. The Verizon MIFI costs about $50 plus monthly charges and I felt that this was a good way to go.
What I found Today was a Mini HP Laptop with the Verizon Card built in for FREE after rebates. This would give us Verizon Secure Broadband for Banking on the MINI HP as well as the ability to use the MINI for the free WIFI access.
At the same I could continue to use my existing Laptop wherever I can pick up Free WIFI as I have before. My total cost would be the $40 or $60 monthly charges. The Mini HP would be Free.
Am I missing something?
Robert
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Robert,

Check this out from Verizon Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products

We use our phone as the modem and the plan allows you to start and stop as you need it rather than sign up for a specified time.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
I have used my Laptop for WIFI on the road before, the last time was this past October and November. There were places that I could access the internet with WIFI for free and it worked pretty well. We were close to some fast food (not McDonalds at that time) and were able to get a good connection. I have been concerned about Security at these free access locations particularly with Banking and Bill Payment. As I understand it the Verizon MIFI or a broadband card would give access to the Verizon Broadband Network with my current laptop which I have heard is reasonably secure for my Banking. The coverage also seems to be fairly good for where we plan to travel.
Since my wife wanted to bring an older Laptop that we had, I had planned to go with the MIFI from Verizon which is usable with 5 computers at one time. The Verizon MIFI costs about $50 plus monthly charges and I felt that this was a good way to go.
What I found Today was a Mini HP Laptop with the Verizon Card built in for FREE after rebates. This would give us Verizon Secure Broadband for Banking on the MINI HP as well as the ability to use the MINI for the free WIFI access.
At the same I could continue to use my existing Laptop wherever I can pick up Free WIFI as I have before. My total cost would be the $40 or $60 monthly charges. The Mini HP would be Free.
Am I missing something?
Robert
Robert,

We do as Nonno and have the tethered modem option on my Blackberry. We use the free WiFi for just web surfing but never never for financial stuff. We do anything where security is a concern on Verizon with the Blackberry connected as a modem.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will add that the 250MB ain't much. We would run out in just a few days and we are not heavy internet users.

We use the air card on our laptop but don;t have much trouble about who gets to use the computer. Wife just says, ITS MINE
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Am I missing something?
I think you understand it pretty well, and aren't missing anything. I think the highlighted sentence expresses Bill's concern. He (and I) are concerned that while the HP would get cellular broadband service, your existing laptop won't be able to benefit from that service. But it's pretty clear you understand that. As long as you can live with it, getting the free Mini HP sounds like a good deal.

If you later decide you need cellular broadband for the old laptop, it will cost you more to get an air card and router. But at that point, you could stop the service to the new HP and just use it's WiFi to connect to the new router. But if you wanted to keep the HP so that it has self-contained cellular, then you would be paying two monthly fees, but wouldn't need the router, you would just plug the new air card directly into the old laptop.

So, if you are happy with the deal, and the limitation that the old laptop will only work if there is WiFi available, then go for it. If you think you might want the old laptop on the cellular in the future, then you might want to think just a little longer.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Am I missing something?
Robert
I can't know whether you are missing something or not, but if you go with the Netbook instead of a Mi-Fi or an air card with a Cradlepoint router you will not be able to use both of the computers on the cellular network that you are paying for. I am just not sure that makes much sense. Why pay $60/month and only be able to use the second computer when you can find free wi-fi?

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote