Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

Angry New with issues

I wanted to say hi and ask a question. I recently purchased a 1995 Monaco Dynasty 40. the wife and I thought we would try an older motor home to see if we liked it and if we did, eventually upgrade. Hasn't gone so well so far. I purchased from a private seller. Literally 10 miles down the road and hydraulic fluid from the left rear sprayed on something hot and caught fire.

Once I got the fire out, a large amount of hydraulic fluid dropped from what I'm assuming is a cooling system.

Any ideas where I can get drawings and parts lists so I can evaluate the extent of the damage?
johnsi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #2

Got any pictures.. that would help.. and did you call insurance company ?
As always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 09-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

Monaco Tech Service
https://www.monacocoach.com/technical-assistance
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:38 PM   #4

Learn how to post pics to the forum, and post some pictures in this thread for us. Myself and a few others are retired or working mechanics, and there are a lot of other owners that are willing to help. One thing about buying an older rig and learning if you like it, you get the chance to learn it like the old school bikers. Old school, you built your own chop, knew every nut and bolt, that way you didn't have to depend on your buddies or a shop if you had a problem on a ride. Getting an older coach shipshape can be the same way, and due to the lack of capable and trustworthy repair people for RVs, it really helps to know your coach and how take care of the smaller stuff. You will learn what spares you need to have with you when you travel, (belts, fuel filters), and what to take care of before you leave home, (air filters,oil & other fluid changes). I have been on both sides of the fence here, the mechanic and the owner, and I like being the owner a lot better.

Think of it like buying a used house, there are going to be things that need done, and the more you do yourself the greater satisfaction you will have when the job is done.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #5

It took the insurance company a couple of weeks to finally have it assessed. Luckily it isn't totaled. Right now it is at the insurance company's yard. I'm going to go and give it a thorough inspection and try to get good pictures of the damage. So far all I have are pictures of the external fire damage, i.e. blistered paint etc.

I'll learn to post the pics by posting what I have so far.

Also, I grew up with an auto mechanic dad and spent a lot of time working with him, but no diesel experience, and definitely no diesel pusher experience!
Old 09-24-2021, 05:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
From your description the problem probably originated from the hydraulic system which consists of a pump that provides pressure to the power steering and fan cooling.

Try to get parts of the hydraulic pump, which should be on the passenger side of the engine and fan motor which is mounted behind the radiator.

There will be name tags on both, if possible try and get pictures of these.

The function of these systems have not changed much over the model years but the parts themselves have. You may be able to find new parts but it will be difficult. A good shop can substitute with current parts.

Good luck
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Byron, I didn't think Monaco would provide tech support on older coaches. Has this changed?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No change with REV. They will not provide any support with the legacy Coaches. As mentioned it’s likely one of the hoses that supply the power steering or radiator fan. They are not complex and it’s likely that the issue would be found rather quickly by getting underneath.
These things can and will happen no matter who you purchased it from. While a fire is certainly extreme the issues with an old Coach will continue to pop up and that’s why owning an older motorhome is not for the faint of heart and those that are not of at least medium level mechanical skills.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #9

Get yourself lots of pictures... I almost guarantee adjuster will miss under side damage.. you will have to call adjuster back after you open it up.. we did at the shop every time.. they never got 1st inspection right.. adjuster are always cutting corners .. but if totaled and you have a spot to repair yourself.. you don't have to let them have it.. so you can often keep it.. accept payment and tow it back to your place and rebuild it.. often insurance can total rv and get more for salvage parts than pay out.. that I why they will be willing to total it.. so don't let them.. if you still want it.. remember it is yours.. sorry about rotten luck.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 09-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
i use Tapatalk to read the forum so YMMV, but I searched *this* forum for “1995” and saw many posts. an early post was from user “shesmovedon” re their ‘96 40’ dynasty.

you might ping that person to see if there’s a connection.

likewise, you might search the forum for more / relevant info.

sorry about these initial experiences, I understand they kill the good vibes … I hope you get things restored properly and are able to enjoy your coach.

rad
1995 38’ dynasty
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Byron, I didn't think Monaco would provide tech support on older coaches. Has this changed?
Not sure...never called them
But they provide a link for cantact/support

??????

I always try to go Direct first then if that doesn't work ...off to deep internet search
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsi99 View Post
It took the insurance company a couple of weeks to finally have it assessed. Luckily it isn't totaled. Right now it is at the insurance company's yard. I'm going to go and give it a thorough inspection and try to get good pictures of the damage. So far all I have are pictures of the external fire damage, i.e. blistered paint etc.

I'll learn to post the pics by posting what I have so far.

Also, I grew up with an auto mechanic dad and spent a lot of time working with him, but no diesel experience, and definitely no diesel pusher experience!

When you say,"insurance company yard" are you talking a bout a tow company impound yard or at an actual insurance holding yard? IF it is an insurance holding yard they are already planning to total it, they get them into their yard to have control. If it is a tow company's yard you need to make sure that the tow company will not allow removal without your signature. Keeping it in a tow lot also motivates the insurance company to resolve things. They have no desire to pay $50 -$100 a day storage or more any longer than necessary. Myself, I would not let them total it unless the damage is severe.

Growing up with an auto mechanic dad, I'm sure you have the skills you need mechanically. Don't worry about the diesel thing, they're easier when it comes to the basic engine. There is no electrical ignition system and that is the root of 80 percent of problems with gas engines. Most of the older coaches the engine is still fairly basic and the electronic systems are not too bad, besides, you only have to learn one, the one in your coach.

No matter what you choose to do, welcome and have fun, if not with this coach another one. I never thought I would be the guy with the frigging bus in the campground, and here we are getting ready to go full time. We already have almost all of May to October booked for next year and plan to be in a warmer climate before it gets cold. We'll be hitting allt he Nevada State parks in the southern part of the state, Quartzite for the show, maybe take the wife to see the insanity of Glamis, Sand Toy Capital of the World, for a major holiday weekend.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #13

Attempt to attach pics

Here is a pic of the back after the fire is out. the second is the puddle of hyd fluid that dropped from the left side of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire_001.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	344122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire_003.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	344123  

Old 09-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #14

Attempt to attach pics

Rear view and the puddle of hydraulic fluid under the left side.