Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #1

Newbie inverter question for 1999 Diplomat

Hi all,

I recently bought a 1999 Monaco Diplomat and have been slowly learning about it and fixing it up. It came with a Xantrex 458 Freedom inverter, but neither the input nor the output had any wiring to it. However, the batteries were connected to the 12v inputs

On my Diplomat, the shore power comes in drivers side, rear compartment. The Xantrex was passenger side rear compartment and the batteries are passenger side, second to rear compartment. In the inverter compartment there are 2 breaker-protected outlets.

I have wired the inverter with 2x110v plugs, one on the input and one on the output. When shore power is applied, the 2 outlets have 110v on them from the shore power. So I can plug the input to the inverter to the outlet and charge the batteries.

But if shore power isn’t applied and I want to use the invert function of the inverter I have to plug the output of the inverter to the sockets and this powers the RV.

This is enormously error prone and potentially disastrous. If I accidentally leave the output of the inverter plugged into the socket and apply shore power, I will blow up my inverter. The manual shows the inverter being permanently connected to a shore power / generator power input and the output being connected to the RV, but I don’t seem to be able to do that. There doesn’t seem to be a shore power input into the compartment with the inverter or an easy way of getting it there.

What have other people done with this sort of setup? My way seems very wrong to me and it would be great to hear how this should be done properly.

Thanks,

Tim
Aussie Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 01:58 AM   #2

Hi Tim
I have the same outfit in the UK
I can’t understand why your inverter isn’t already wired into the ring mains.
If you pm me tomorrow I’m back in the rv and I’ll take some photos for you
Or send me your email .
Steve
uksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

This is the way my 2000 Dynasty is wired. Maybe it can help you.
Power from the grid comes in and goes to a transfer switch- the other input side of the transfer switch has the power from the generator. From the transfer switch it goes to the main panel. 2 breakers on the main panel then went to my inverter (L1 & L2).

The inverter had inputs for both legs and outputs for both legs which then went to the inverter sub panel. The main panel had all the high draw stuff you don’t want the inverter to run - a/c’s, elec water heater, diesel block heater, etc. the inverter sub panel had all the stuff you want the inverter to run, Elec Fridge, outlets, microwave, etc.

That was how my system was setup from the factory. Since my original inverter died, I replaced it with a Victron multiplus - it only works on one leg of power, so I had to change a few breakers around, (on the main breaker the inverter wires needed to come from the same phase -both L1).

Does that help or look like the wiring you see. I think the inverter in your unit May have been attempted to changed out.

Good luck
Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, diplomat, inverter, newbie