Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Newbie pac brake question

Our new, to us, Class 'A' MH has the PAC BRAKE SYSTEM......One rocker switch on the left hand panel, no foot pedal. I used this system last fall for the first time before winter storage and found it to be excellent, a bit of a learning curve, but easy to use. I do however have one question.

Being a rocker switch I thought that one flick it's ON.......another flick it"s off. That's probably the way it works, or appears to. However, at times I cannot tell whether it's ON or not but I'm getting better at it, practice makes perfect!

I would like to modify this switch with a straight ON-OFF switch with an ON Indicator Light so I know exactly what mode I'm in. Would this be a good idea? Any thoughts or opinions out there would be appreciated.........and if so, have any of you out there made this modification.......which type, manufacture of switch/indicator did you use?

BOB "LOVE OUR DYNASTY.........LOVE WORKING ON IT!"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is some reading on the pac brake https://www.google.com/search?q=pac+....com&x=41&y=15 for you to read up on till others post, I just leave my switch "on" all the time , and learned to "feather" the throttle pedal, pac brake comes on when throttle position sensor senses "closed position" and if you press down just a bit on the throttle pedal it will turn off.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is a rocker switch also and it has a light to show Armed. It is a on switch in that it arms the system and to activate apply service brakes, also as you over speed on cruise control it will activate.

LEN
Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My coach has the rocker switch on the left panel, but it is "positive" on and off, not spring loaded. I keep the PacBrake on all the time. I installed the BrakeSwitch which modifies the normal operation of the PacBrake. I can take my foot off the throttle and the coach will coast without applying the PacBrake. I can press the brake pedal momentarily to activate the PacBrake. I love that method of operation!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the input guys.........exactly what I was looking for.........very much appreciated. I like the positive on/off button with a light indicator to show it is in fact on.........no guessing! Thanks again.......another mod scheduled!

BOB
Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like a previous owner had changed the switch with the wrong switch. On/off switch with a light indicator is needed. I just replaced my switch. Got it from Monaco. $39.99
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
My coach has the rocker switch on the left panel, but it is "positive" on and off, not spring loaded. I keep the PacBrake on all the time. I installed the BrakeSwitch which modifies the normal operation of the PacBrake. I can take my foot off the throttle and the coach will coast without applying the PacBrake. I can press the brake pedal momentarily to activate the PacBrake. I love that method of operation!
MSHappyCampers

on the BrakeSwitch: Brakeswitch, A better way to manage your diesel exhaust brake!

The addition of a BrakeSwitch has completely automated the operation of my PacBrake...... (I no longer have to fumble for, turn ON/OFF a 12V toggle or foot switch, or feather the throttle to control the PacBrake.
Since installing the BrakeSwitch I drive with the 12V PacBrake switch ON, (except when roads are slippery).

With the BrakeSwitch installed, (and the original 12V lighted PacBrake switch ON):
1.) The PacBrake activates/closes whenever the service brake pedal is applied.
2.) Momentarily touching the throttle pedal deactivates the PacBrake, allowing the coach to "coast").
3.) Accelerating also deactivates/opens the exhaust brake butterfly.
4.) It remains deactivated/open, until I apply the service brakes again.

Plus, with the BrakeSwitch installed, the cruise control works normally, (whether the 12V PacBrake switch is ON or OFF).

I installed the BrakeSwitch 4 years, (35k miles), ago... (I wish I had done it sooner).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
MSHappyCampers

on the BrakeSwitch: Brakeswitch, A better way to manage your diesel exhaust brake!

The addition of a BrakeSwitch has completely automated the operation of my PacBrake...... (I no longer have to fumble for, turn ON/OFF a 12V toggle or foot switch, or feather the throttle to control the PacBrake.
Since installing the BrakeSwitch I drive with the 12V PacBrake switch ON, (except when roads are slippery).

With the BrakeSwitch installed, (and the original 12V lighted PacBrake switch ON):
1.) The PacBrake activates/closes whenever the service brake pedal is applied.
2.) Momentarily touching the throttle pedal deactivates the PacBrake, allowing the coach to "coast").
3.) Accelerating also deactivates/opens the exhaust brake butterfly.
4.) It remains deactivated/open, until I apply the service brakes again.

Plus, with the BrakeSwitch installed, the cruise control works normally, (whether the 12V PacBrake switch is ON or OFF).

I installed the BrakeSwitch 4 years, (35k miles), ago... (I wish I had done it sooner).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Mel, I know that Homer was trying to shut down the business of manufacturing the BrakeSwitch. I wonder if he is still selling them?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mel, I know that Homer was trying to shut down the business of manufacturing the BrakeSwitch. I wonder if he is still selling them?
MSHappyCampers
I just talked to Homer @ 704-402-0072 .... he has 2 BrakeSwitches left... (he will not be making more).
That's to bad, the addition of the BrakeSwitch is one of the most useful mods that I've made to my coach in the 13 years I've owned it.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #10

WRONG........Just talked to Homer and ordered.........he now has ONE left.......better move quickly! I'm really looking forward to this mod.......is it very difficult to install?

BOB
Old 02-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuk View Post
WRONG........Just talked to Homer and ordered.........he now has ONE left.......better move quickly! I'm really looking forward to this mod.......is it very difficult to install?

BOB
BOB

I had no problems with the installation, other than the fact that my brake lights, (unlike the brake lights on many/most? coaches), did not come on when the PacBrake was electrically activated, (which is necessary for the BrakeSwitch do it's thing).
I had to add a wire with an in-line diode to solve that problem...
(If I remember correctly, the wiring instructions cover that possibility).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Bob
If you have any questions or problems with the BrakeSwitch, call Homer. He will be more than happy to help you through it. It was the best addition to my Beaver that I have made so far. I never turn off the Exhaust Brake switch now.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Before this thread is finished I bet that Homer will be out of business!

I don't need one for my coach otherwise I would order the LAST ONE. My ECM has been flashed to create the same operation for the PacBrake in conjunction with the Cruise control.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Before this thread is finished I bet that Homer will be out of business!
I don't need one for my coach otherwise I would order the LAST ONE. My ECM has been flashed to create the same operation for the PacBrake in conjunction with the Cruise control.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard
I agree !

Before I bought a BrakeSwitch, I had a Cat dealer's shop reprogram/flash the "Cruise Control Exhaust Mode Parameter" of my ECM from "Latch" to "Coast"......(twice).

After the first ECM flash, the computer print-out indicted the change had been made, but my coach still would not "coast", (nor would the cruise work when the 12V PacBrake switch was in the ON position).
So they flashed the ECM again....(still no change in the operation)!

BTW, after the 2nd ECM flash the Cat tech said that it was "Safari's fault" that the 2 ECM flashes changed nothing.
IMO, far to many "experts" simply "point fingers" when they don't know the cause of, (or the solution to), a problem.

With the BrakeSwitch added my coach coasts when the PacBrake 12V switch is ON.... and the cruise works, (whether the PacBrake switch is ON or OFF).

As I said in an earlier post, the BrakeSwitch is the most useful "gadget" I've added to my coach.

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, 132k miles

Tags
brake, newbie