RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

Newbie Purchasing 2001 Monaco Dynasty

We just sold our boat and are moving to lifes next stage an RV! I did a lot of research and decided that an older high end Newmar or Monaco was the coach for us. The Monaco won....We are looking at a 2001 Dynasty LTD. that has low miles but has been unused for a year. Any advice on things we should look for in regards to problems resulting from a coach that has been sitting? Any input would be appreciated.

Jann & Gary
Hopefully new Monaco owners

Clods is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

I bought a coach last year under the same conditions and quickly found out that it had been stored with less than a full tank of fuel in less than desirable conditions, hence the entire fuel system, tank, lines, and filters were polluted with algae.
This quickly became a show stopper for the diesel engine and it had to be eradicated and remedied over a period of several fuel tank treatments and filter changes before it was totally gone.

I could see the algae through the fuel filler necks, lining the walls of the tank, and of course in the spent filters and easily in the clear fuel/water separator bowl on the bottom of secondary filter. Many, many, small black bits of algae.

abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We bought an 04 Dynasty just over a year ago. If it has an aqua hot make sure it's in good working order as replacement is expensive. If it's gone unused for that long replacing all oil, fuel, filters will be necessary. As a former boat owner as well I know that something falls apart almost as fast from under use as over use. I'd guess since the current owner doesn't use the coach anymore you might be able to get a great deal and could spend the money saved into getting her back into cruising shape.
Procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #4

At that age plan on changing out the rear end fluid. Our first service my brother did. When he checked it was obvious it might not have ever been changed at 100k miles even though all the rest were in great shape. Also check your rearend seal for seepage. That was an issue this year. Glad he found that tiny amt and decided to check. The seal had scored the yoke. Easy fix with a Speedy sleeve.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
2001 dynasty

Get creeper and get under the rig. Look for leaky shocks, rust, and oil leaks. Maint records are highly desired but a good mechanical inspection done by a diesel mechanic is even better. Make sure all systems work or the price goes down. I recommend you have the owner go thru the coach with you and turn everything on: generator, air conditioners, heat pumps , water pump, water heater (especially Aqua hot), refrigerator, dash gauges, power seats, satellite and tvs, surround sound, mirror motors, micro wave should run more than one minute ( Sharp Carousel 2001had an issue )

As my sig says, I own a 2001 dynasty an I've been all thru mine. Send me a pm with a ph # and we can discus more on the phone....

You have picked a great coach....good luck.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Hi Gary
I bought my 2001 Monaco Dipolamat last year about this time also.It sure has been a big learing curve not that I am disapointed but a lot to learn having never owned Motorhome before makes it intersting.We all have to start some where. I am planing on retiring in 2 or three years so want to learn before then so I can hit the road when I do retire. Good luck and hopfulley i will see you sometime on the road.
cronauerdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the input everyone. We are going to look at it again today and take for a test drive. May have questions later. By the way it has 40k miles if that makes a difference.

Gary and Jann
Clods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The Dynasty will have a fiberglass roof, which usually provides long life with minimal issues. Check the roof sealant around all vents and opening, if you have a leak it would probably originate from here. I had a small leak in the bathroom fantastic vent and found a hairline crack in the sealant.

Maintenance records will show how well it has been maintained. Check to see if had an oil & filter change just before it was put in storage. If it had a lot of miles on it without changing oil then moisture in the oil could cause a problem if the engine sat a long time.

Check tire DOT date codes, if older then 6 years plan on replacing the tires.

Good Luck, the Dynasty is a great coach.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It likely has an Aqua Hot, too. Make sure it works properly, it can be expensive to fix. Ours sat on the lot for 3 years before we bought it. We had some engine sensor issues which showed up as check/stop engine lights. Heater core was seeping, too. The air dryer has likely been ignored and it will present as a stuck unloader valve. It can also contaminate the air system. We have put 35k miles and spent the last 31 of 39 months in it.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, newbie