Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Question Newbie?..The ongoing NORCOLD SAGA

Sorry to bring this issue up again.........I've read almost everything there is to read on the NORCOLD issue, but here are my concerns.

I have confirmed my 1200 unit falls within the recall scope, I have confirmed the recalls have been completed, I am installing a Halon SS30 in the refrigerator compartment as a precautionary measure, BUT, I am not happy nor comfortable. Let's face it, planned obsolesence prevails, the unit is 14yrs. old, still working fine, no signs of leaks and had the recalls completed. But, if it starts to leak and hopefully the sensor will shut down the unit before a fire breaks out, the unit can never to be used again. A new cooling unit will be required or a complete new replacement unit.

The unit is in good condition and our personal requirements are for a 110/LP unit as we boondock at least 90% of the time. From what I have read the Amish cooling unit would be a good way to go in our case. Many of you out there have gone this route..........any in Canada? If so, where did you get your unit from, cost, install it yourself, etc? I can't put my finger on it, but there was one post I read somewhere which covered replacement with the Amish cooling unit and also mentioned several component replacements to upgrade the unit while the refrigerator was disassembled. I would be very interested in any feedback in this regard, please...........CONCERNED!

BOB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #2

Bob, I'm not going to be any help on the installation of the Amish unit because I have not done it yet. However, I am taking the same precautions as you using the Halon and verifying the fridge has the latest update. I did take it a step further and purchased one of these Absorption Refrigerator Controllers as an additional piece of mind. I like the fact that it will turn off the fridge long before the recall does, records that it did and it will reset itself after 10 min. Might be worth checking into. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's one solution. Sammie has made many excellent, helpful posts including this one. The link in the post brings up a YouTube video of how he replaced his cooling unit.

Sammie's Cooling Unit Replacement

Do a search on Amish cooling units and there will be several suppliers. One of them will be able to get a unit to you in Canada.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

Thanks Dave & Ron........appreciate your input.......you can see where I'm coming from! Any interim measure to alleviate a disastrous situation will give some degree of protection and "peace of mind".........for how long, who knows! The simple fact remains, it will catch on fire..........or QUIT!

The bottom line is, until such time as a complete refit is completed, we are simply continuing to use a "band-aid" approach to keep ahead of the inevitable "NORCOLD DISASTER". No doubt they would be more than happy to see thousands of their dissatisfied customers doing the same.

In our particular case I firmly believe the complete Amish replacement is the way to go, how I'm not sure. If I cannot find a Canadian Supplier the next move would be to have it shipped or do a cross-border approach, whether it be for pickup or installation on site. I appreciate your responses and any further suggestions from our readers out there. Take care and safe travel!

BOB
Old 02-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuk View Post
Thanks Dave & Ron........appreciate your input.......you can see where I'm coming from! Any interim measure to alleviate a disastrous situation will give some degree of protection and "peace of mind".........for how long, who knows! The simple fact remains, it will catch on fire..........or QUIT!

The bottom line is, until such time as a complete refit is completed, we are simply continuing to use a "band-aid" approach to keep ahead of the inevitable "NORCOLD DISASTER". No doubt they would be more than happy to see thousands of their dissatisfied customers doing the same.

In our particular case I firmly believe the complete Amish replacement is the way to go, how I'm not sure. If I cannot find a Canadian Supplier the next move would be to have it shipped or do a cross-border approach, whether it be for pickup or installation on site. I appreciate your responses and any further suggestions from our readers out there. Take care and safe travel!

BOB
BCCanuk, I made the conversion from a Norcold cooling unit to the Amish Built cooling unit back in July of 2011 and have been very happy with the result. For the information you are looking for, I would place a direct call to the company that sells the units. RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
Ask to speak to David Force who was very helpful in my installation.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Do a search on Amish cooling units and there will be several suppliers. One of them will be able to get a unit to you in Canada.

FWIW
There is 1 (ONE) retailer for this unit! See address at Sammie's note...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

I would suggest that you find an installer in the Seattle area. Rv Cooling warehouse can recommend someone. If you have that item shipped to Canada the freight will put you in the poor house. It cannot go UPS. Truck freight is expensive. If you go to RV.net and do a search for John&Angela you can send him a PM. They live @ Swan Lake in Vernon and both work for an RV dealer. He may be able to steer you onto someone that can do the install. Tell him Moisheh sent you. They are super people.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
There is 1 (ONE) retailer for this unit! See address at Sammie's note...
My apologies. That's what I get for relying on an increasingly unreliable memory!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #9

Great information guys!......and yes Sammie, I have watched your very informative video several times. I'm fairly handy so I'm thinking of going ahead with this on my own with a helper of course. I've been in touch with David Force and have made preliminary arrangements for shipping, etc. He had some good suggestions and was very co-operative.......good man to deal with. He also sent instructions on the complete changeover which was very much appreciated. This will have to wait for spring (buried in snow) but will be the first project on my list. Again, I thank everyone for their input.

Safe travel..........BOB
Old 03-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What years was that particular model installed. I have a Norcold in an 04
Neptune.
Simmons1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
YC1

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have a schematic for the 1200 series? Anything I have been able to find does not show the existing board. It is in my neighbors unit and he has a new board on order. We have verified the board is intermittent but as an electronic tech I would really like to see the wiring.

The cooling fans on the back are controlled by a snap disc and also are controlled by the refer door switches. The fans shut off when the door or doors are open. Norcold verified that is normal and I have read about that as well.

Thanks for any help.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, norcold