Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No 110v from shore .... Generator 110v OK

We just brought the coach from the storage place and I hooked up to my shore power and nothing. I have a 220v properly wired that I have been using with no problem. I use a 50/30 adapter as my 220v coach cord is not long enough. The house breaker is OK. I have power all the way to the end of my power cords, checked with a meter, 115v. I checked to see if I had 110v while running the Gen again, and I did. All 110v worked.

We camped 2 weeks ago on shore power with no problems. Last week we went to the state park for the day and we used the Gen for aprox. 1 1/2 hrs with no problems. There was no shore power available.

I do not know if the transfer relay/switch is bad? Is there a fuse hiding somewhere?

Thanks for your input,
Fred

We are suspose to leave Friday night to camp .................
Fred420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No 110v from shore ......... gen 110v OK

We just brought the coach from the storage place and I hooked up to my shore power and nothing. I have a 220v properly wired that I have been using with no problem. I use a 50/30 adapter as my 220v coach cord is not long enough. The house breaker is OK. I have power all the way to the end of my power cords, checked with a meter, 115v. I checked to see if I had 110v while running the Gen again, and I did. All 110v worked.

We camped 2 weeks ago on shore power with no problems. Last week we went to the state park for the day and we used the Gen for aprox. 1 1/2 hrs with no problems. There was no shore power available.

I do not know if the transfer relay/switch is bad? Is there a fuse hiding somewhere?

Thanks for your input,
Fred

We are suspose to leave Friday night to camp .................
2006 LaPalma DP
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

It sounds like your transfer switch is bad. Since you apparently have a meter of some sort I would un plug shore power and take the cover off of the tramsfer switch and first look for burnt wires or open wires. THen I would check the relay itself for burnt contacts.

If you feel comfortable working with electricity and know what you are looking at I would plug in the shore power and check voltage and when you loose the voltage that is the problem. If you don't know what you are doing then leave it for a licensed electrician or a RV repair shop to look at it. Electricity is something you have to respect as it could kill you.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

Fred 420, I bet its the transfer switch, after removing all power as stated above check the contacts. You maybe able to clean them up with emory cloth. May also try some electrical contact cleaner just spray it in and wash everything out, it drys very fast. You can get it at any auto parts store. Worth a shot before you buy anothe rswitch. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred420 View Post
In my opinion it could be but only a couple of items. I am going to assume that you do not use any 220v appliances and that 220v never has entered the coach.

If you are getting power from the generator and no power from your shore connection, the fault may lie in the transfer switch. It's the steel box where all the cords connect to inside your motorhome. There aren't any fuses that would prevent you from getting power or anything like that.

I am also hoping that the connections through the extension cord are not corroded, burnt or coated with melted rubber from one of the cord connections. It happens with 30A equipment.

I had a failed transfer switch a few years back and this is how it was not working as well. Generator OK - shore power nothing. Once the transfer switch was replaced (got whacked by lightning) all was well again. Good luck.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replys!

I am at work now and will check out the ATS. I looked in it last night with a flashlight and there is a buss bar in the way of everything. I saw a circut board and read on the label that there was a LED light that should be lit if working? I do not see any hard relays.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you switch the switch from storage to use.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like and could very well be your transfer switch especially if it's an IOTA unit as they are subject to many failures including fires.

However, one other place to check is your inverter/converter to make sure that the circuit breakers haven't tripped. Remember that the inverter/converter has 120 VAC running through it even though it may not be doing anything at the time. It may be OK since you state that you have full power from the genset but it only takes a second to make sure.

Many people overlook the inverter/converter as a power source problem when trying to use shore power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Does the inverter/converter affect the shore power coming in? And not the Gen?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I am not quite sure how it all works as I know enough about the RV electrical stuff to be very dangerous.

It could be that if the genset is transferring power correctly to the coach but the shore power cord is not, then your inverter/converter is functioning correctly, just not sure.

It's a simple thing to check whether the CB's have tripped on your inverter/converter. I believe they are simple push buttons on the outside case.

I would definitely check the transfer switch as that is likely your problem, just don't over look the simple things.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #11

If everything 110 works with the generator, there is no switch that will change that when on shore power.

If it is like any transfer switches I have seen, the control board is working to supply 110 with the generator. It sounds like the normally closed contacts are not making when on shore power. If you are getting 110 up to the transfer switch, I don't see what else it could be. If you don't have any emery paper, the striker on a match book will work to clean up the transfer switch relay contacts.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Does the inverter/converter affect the shore power coming in? And not the Gen? Someone mentioned this as a possible problem.

Donlock ......... what switch? The only ones that I turn are the battery disconnects.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #13

My buddy does have an older MH(1992) that doesn't have a transfer switch and he has to flip a couple breakers to go from shore to generator, but this is a 2006 MH.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #14

Fred420 please expalin your statement on using 220 volt shore power to your MH????? MH's DO NOT USE 220 volts hopefully it is just a play on words. IF you connected your MH to a 220 volt plug then you have blown something in the MH. MHs use 110 volt single leg 30 amp service or 110 volt dual leg 50 amp service.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator