Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Larry is correct. I've jumpered the main electrical service panel to the input on the inverter electrical service panel. In Monaco coaches the two service panels are usually right next to each other. Just disconnect the inverter output wires from the main electrical panel circuit breakers first and install a short set of junmper wires down to the inverter panel input.

This allows you to remove the inverter and repair or replace it without having to shut everything down.

Then your issue with repairing a Freedom Trace inverter is finding parts. I also chose to replace it with a new Magnum pure sine inverter.
That's my ultimate plan. I got a Thanksgiving camping trip and mama ain't going to be happy if we cancel. You know who's going to be unhappy next right??!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well, I tried the reset thing again and no dice. I disconnected everything from the inverter and let it set, then turned everything back on with the same result.

I looked at the wire on the Inverter L1 and L2 and its bigger than 12 gauge, maybe 10 or even 8 gauge. I'll get three feet of each tomorrow and jump the inverter.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I was having problems with my Trace inverter and called in to a tech line (Xantrex covers them now I believe) and spoke to a tech. About the only thing I remember was him telling me that my inverter (2000W) was only good for about 17 years.....lol. I asked him why 17 years? He said that most of them only last 17 years then crap out. I have zero ideas if that is true. I guess I only have bout 3 more good years left...lol. I really wanna upgrade though to a pure sine wave unit so I don't have to worry about things not wanting to work off the old modified sine wave. Good luck Dennis. Hoping ya get it figured out.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Well, I tried the reset thing again and no dice. I disconnected everything from the inverter and let it set, then turned everything back on with the same result.

I looked at the wire on the Inverter L1 and L2 and its bigger than 12 gauge, maybe 10 or even 8 gauge. I'll get three feet of each tomorrow and jump the inverter.
Dennis,

Take a piece of wood and rap the transfer relay inside the inverter and see if that makes any difference. My guess is the contacts of the inverter transfer switch were becoming resistive and when you operated two heaters thru them they heated up and failed. On our coach I installed two 20 amp duplex outlets in the bath and hall area that have a dedicated power cord. We connect the second power cord to either the 20 amp circuit or the 30 amp circuit on the pedestal. We can operate heaters, toasters, hair dyers, etc from those two circuits without worrying about tripping the output breaker on the inverter. In my opinion Monaco failed the customer when they connected 90 % of the duplex outlets to one 15 amp circuit on the inverter. We have a puny 2000 watt inverter in our coach with a single 30 amp input from the main panel. The output of the inverter has two 15 amp circuits, one being dedicated to the microwave and the other to just about every duplex outlet in the coach. Being an electrical engineer this appalls me. One hair dryer on high uses about 1200 watts. Maybe they thought we don't dry our hair, or make coffee or toast.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #47

Quote:

Looks like you have it figured out.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As a work around, I could disconnect the input and output wires and tie them together with something like this without issue? Of course I'd cover it with electrical tape.

Yep, these will do the trick, just tighten & wrap good.
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #49

Dennis, in answer to what size wire to use, I don't remember exactly, I think I matched what was being used to go back and forth to the Invertor, probably 12 guage.

I got my Invertor repaired in Palmdale, California but I don't remember the name of the company, they sold and repaired Invertor and solor equipment. I had the the switches repaired before that in Texas but the repair only lasted a couple of years. The repair in Palmdale was at least ten years ago and still holding up just fine. Knocking on wood here.

I'll try to find the company and post if they are still around.

Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #50

The wire size is based on the circuit breaker.

20 amp =12 gauge
30 amp =10 gauge
50 amp = 6 to 8 gauge. Its not likely that you have a 50 amp feed inverter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Dennis, in answer to what size wire to use, I don't remember exactly, I think I matched what was being used to go back and forth to the Invertor, probably 12 guage.

I got my Invertor repaired in Palmdale, California but I don't remember the name of the company, they sold and repaired Invertor and solor equipment. I had the the switches repaired before that in Texas but the repair only lasted a couple of years. The repair in Palmdale was at least ten years ago and still holding up just fine. Knocking on wood here.

I'll try to find the company and post if they are still around.

Larry
thanks Larry. The wire is thicker than the 12 gauge I have. I went to Lowes and bought 5' of 10 gauge just in case. I know the circuit breaker on the inverter says "25" so I figure its a 25 amp.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The wire size is based on the circuit breaker.

20 amp =12 gauge
30 amp =10 gauge
50 amp = 6 to 8 gauge. Its not likely that you have a 50 amp feed inverter.
I don't think the breakers are labeled like that. I seem to remember they said 10 on them, maybe 10KV?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Dennis,

Take a piece of wood and rap the transfer relay inside the inverter and see if that makes any difference. My guess is the contacts of the inverter transfer switch were becoming resistive and when you operated two heaters thru them they heated up and failed. On our coach I installed two 20 amp duplex outlets in the bath and hall area that have a dedicated power cord. We connect the second power cord to either the 20 amp circuit or the 30 amp circuit on the pedestal. We can operate heaters, toasters, hair dyers, etc from those two circuits without worrying about tripping the output breaker on the inverter. In my opinion Monaco failed the customer when they connected 90 % of the duplex outlets to one 15 amp circuit on the inverter. We have a puny 2000 watt inverter in our coach with a single 30 amp input from the main panel. The output of the inverter has two 15 amp circuits, one being dedicated to the microwave and the other to just about every duplex outlet in the coach. Being an electrical engineer this appalls me. One hair dryer on high uses about 1200 watts. Maybe they thought we don't dry our hair, or make coffee or toast.

Bob
Mine is wired a little different Bob, but I think I have the same issue you do. The inverter is fed from one 30-amp circuit like yours, but my microwave and fridge are each on a dedicated circuit. The bath/rear breaker feeds outlets in the bedroom and bath. The Kit/Front circuit feeds the kitchen and outlets in the overhead for the TV and satellite connections. The one labeled Lamp feeds the living room and dining outlets.

There is way more capacity on the five breakers than that 30 amp inverter feed can support.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I jumpers across the breaker panel and have 120VAC back. How did you guys charge the batteries with the inverter bypassed? Use an external charger?
Old 11-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #55

If the converter section still works hook the AC back up to the input side. It would not surprise me if the electronics all work in the unit.

If the converter is dead then you will need to find an external charger and be careful about your power load.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

These are the breakers.