Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If the converter section still works hook the AC back up to the input side. It would not surprise me if the electronics all work in the unit.

If the converter is dead then you will need to find an external charger and be careful about your power load.
I don't want to be switching the 120VAC input back and forth, but I don't want the batteries to discharge. Even with the 12V switch turned off, there are some parasitic loads that drain the batteries in the coach.

I have a trickle charger that I can put on the batteries. I'm thinking I should turn off the domestic 12V Kill Switch in the rear electrical bay to isolate the battery charge current to the batteries?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I don't want to be switching the 120VAC input back and forth, but I don't want the batteries to discharge. Even with the 12V switch turned off, there are some parasitic loads that drain the batteries in the coach.

I have a trickle charger that I can put on the batteries. I'm thinking I should turn off the domestic 12V Kill Switch in the rear electrical bay to isolate the battery charge current to the batteries?
Dennis
I keep a battery charger on board just incase a situation comes up .
I have found it comes in handy when I or someone else finds they
need a charge .
The one I carried for a long time quit so when I was in Sears a couple or
so yrs ago they had a close out and I bought a new one .
The one I bought is similar to the one below .

Ray

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...nt=Catch%20All
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Dennis
I keep a battery charger on board just incase a situation comes up .
I have found it comes in handy when I or someone else finds they
need a charge .
The one I carried for a long time quit so when I was in Sears a couple or
so yrs ago they had a close out and I bought a new one .
The one I bought is similar to the one below .

Ray

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...nt=Catch%20All
Ray,

I've got a 25 year old model that looks remarkably like that one. I was thinking of using my motorcycle trickle charger. It puts out something like 2 amps max and shuts off when the battery won't accept any more charge. I could just leave it on until I get around to replacing the inverter.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #60

Quote:
Ray,

I've got a 25 year old model that looks remarkably like that one. I was thinking of using my motorcycle trickle charger. It puts out something like 2 amps max and shuts off when the battery won't accept any more charge. I could just leave it on until I get around to replacing the inverter.
Dennis
If your 25 yr old is automatic that's probably what I would take
on your trip
It should trickle down too and have some extra amps in case
you needed more .
Either way I'm sure you will be ok unless the heater blower or
other things are on for extended periods .
Why not take both , belt and suspenders seems like a pretty good
idea to me . LOL
You are on top of things , you'll be ok .
Ray
Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks Ray.

I have another question. I have two switches in the rear run bay, one labeled domestic and the other chassis. It looks like I can leave the domestic switch off and the batteries are completely cut off from the coach. Can I leave that switch off until I replace the inverter? I have AGM house batteries and they should not need recharged if they aren't being used to power anything in the coach.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #62

Quote:
Thanks Ray.

I have another question. I have two switches in the rear run bay, one labeled domestic and the other chassis. It looks like I can leave the domestic switch off and the batteries are completely cut off from the coach. Can I leave that switch off until I replace the inverter? I have AGM house batteries and they should not need recharged if they aren't being used to power anything in the coach.
In my opinion I don't see why you couldn't do that , Just watch for awhile
to make sure there is not some drain that the sw doesn't remove .
You can never tell for sure what Monaco did .
I have read somewhere that the chassis batt sw does not remove
everything , parasitic drains will remain and eventually run the chassis batt
down .
Bear in mind I have not tested either one though .

How do you like those AGMs ?
I should get some for my coach , watering batteries gets to be a pain .
Ray
Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #63

Quote:
Thanks Ray.

Dennis, Check and make sure the cutoff switches are wired per the labeling, mine are reversed. Another Monaco "assemblers" choice award.
rvhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
In my opinion I don't see why you couldn't do that , Just watch for awhile
to make sure there is not some drain that the sw doesn't remove .
You can never tell for sure what Monaco did .
I have read somewhere that the chassis batt sw does not remove
everything , parasitic drains will remain and eventually run the chassis batt
down .
Bear in mind I have not tested either one though .

How do you like those AGMs ?
I should get some for my coach , watering batteries gets to be a pain .
Ray
I wouldn't go any other way. For about $500 more they are definitely worth it for me. We rarely dry camp, so I like not having to mess with them. They are always there and they always work.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvhotrod View Post
Dennis, Check and make sure the cutoff switches are wired per the labeling, mine are reversed. Another Monaco "assemblers" choice award.
LOL. I find lots of little modifications like that!
Old 11-17-2018, 04:47 AM   #66

What I am thinking is that the only problem with your Inverter is the stuck relay. If that is the case the converter section will still work to maintain your batteries and house 12 VDC as long as you feed 120 VAC to the input. You don't have to switch the line power back and forth. It's a matter of reconnecting the feed wire from the breaker to the Inverter. You will not get your Inverted 120 VAC but that is a different issue. I'm not sure a trickle charger will handle your 12 vdc loads on a trip. The reason I suggested putting this link back was for your trip as a work around until you get the new Inverter Combo unit installed.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #67

Good morning Dennis; Ouch! Sorry to hear about your inverter problem. I have the same 2000 watt Trace Inverter in my 01 Windsor. It acts goofy sometimes just in the charging mode. All I have to do is disconnect and then reconnect the shore power and everything works ok. As for the battery disconnects, even when you turn both off, the inverter still charges the batteries. Worked that way on my 2000 Windsor and the same on my 01. I wrote this down incase I needed this info. There is a gentlemen in Poway,Ca. that repairs Trace inverters. Mark Snyder Electric. Poway, Ca. His phone # is 1-858-231-3386 and ask for Mark. Have read here in this forum about others who have used him for repairing their Trace Inverters. I guess you get to talk to Mark directly. I guess you could be ready to upgrade, but I thought I would pass this info along to you. I know you will let us know what route you take. Good luck and have a great trip over the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What I am thinking is that the only problem with your Inverter is the stuck relay. If that is the case the converter section will still work to maintain your batteries and house 12 VDC as long as you feed 120 VAC to the input. You don't have to switch the line power back and forth. It's a matter of reconnecting the feed wire from the breaker to the Inverter. You will not get your Inverted 120 VAC but that is a different issue. I'm not sure a trickle charger will handle your 12 vdc loads on a trip. The reason I suggested putting this link back was for your trip as a work around until you get the new Inverter Combo unit installed.
So you are saying to connect two wires to the inverter L1 and L2 breaker on the inverter breaker box? One from the inverter L1 and inverter L2 breakers in the main box to supply 120VAC to the outlets and another to supply 120VAC to the inverter?

This is what it would look like? Both would be connected.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good morning Dennis; Ouch! Sorry to hear about your inverter problem. I have the same 2000 watt Trace Inverter in my 01 Windsor. It acts goofy sometimes just in the charging mode. All I have to do is disconnect and then reconnect the shore power and everything works ok. As for the battery disconnects, even when you turn both off, the inverter still charges the batteries. Worked that way on my 2000 Windsor and the same on my 01. I wrote this down incase I needed this info. There is a gentlemen in Poway,Ca. that repairs Trace inverters. Mark Snyder Electric. Poway, Ca. His phone # is 1-858-231-3386 and ask for Mark. Have read here in this forum about others who have used him for repairing their Trace Inverters. I guess you get to talk to Mark directly. I guess you could be ready to upgrade, but I thought I would pass this info along to you. I know you will let us know what route you take. Good luck and have a great trip over the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving!
Thank you Dale, I have decided to replace the MSW Trace with a PSW magnum. I had contemplated that earlier this year when I replaced the Norcold with a residential unit. I may try to see if I can fix the Trace economically and sell it, but I'm not going to take too much time, effort or money to do it. I've cleaned up relay contacts before so I'll give it a try.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:22 AM   #70

Quote:
So you are saying to connect two wires to the inverter L1 and L2 breaker on the inverter breaker box? One from the inverter L1 and inverter L2 breakers in the main box to supply 120VAC to the outlets and another to supply 120VAC to the inverter?

This is what it would look like? Both would be connected.

Looking at your diagram, yes. Those two plus the neutral. You want to supply power to the Inverter so the charger section maintains your batteries.

You don't want the AC output of the Inverter connected to anything. Your diagram shows them as still connected. I would be concerned that the relay would unstick and you would get the Inverter output connected to the power line.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote