Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No 120 VAC Anywhere in Coach.

2000 Dynasty.

We're getting out first hard freeze of the year tonight so I went out and plugged in the small heaters we use to keep the coach above freezing, one in the basement compartment next to the tanks and utility space, and one in the kitchen.

Both were operating fine when I left the coach about 6 pm. A couple hours later we had the lights go dim in the house so I went out to check on the coach. and both heaters were off. The refrigerator light won't come on so I suspect it's not powered and the microwave is dark. I tested several outlets with an electric fan and they were dead too.

The progressive EMS indicated we had a low voltage on line 2, error code PE6, but both lines now had ~120 volts on them. I turned off the circuit breaker and the PE6 code went away.

I've checked both breaker boxes in the bedroom and none of the breakers are tripped. I flipped all of them off and turned them back on one at a time, starting with the main breaker. There are two GFCI breakers, one for the bath and one for the kitchen and neither appear tripped. Both have small yellow buttons on them and they don't appear to be out. I have been unable to find an outlet with a button on it so I think they are controlled by the breakers.

The inverter remote says it is in bulk charge mode so apparently the batteries are being charged. I turned on the generator and it didn't change anything, all the outlets are dead.

The inverter has a red light which says it means its in the charge mode and I think normally the light is green, but I'm not sure. The breaker on the inverter does not appear to be tripped. It is labeled "push to reset" so I pushed it with no obvious effect.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
No 120 VAC Anywhere in Coach.

No power on generator or shore power. I’m guessing your transfer switch is shorted?
Might have to run a cord from power box to a heater
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #3

There may be 2 push button breakers on the inverter.

What brand and model # ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If the batteries are charging the transfer switch is good. I ould crawl up in there and check 120VAC at the output of the inverter. The red light that you think should be green is probably a clue. If you have 120VAC passing through the inverter then check the breaker. You may have to do a hard reset of the inverter. Depending on the brand that may include removing all power from the inverter 120 and 12VDC and waiting a minute or 2. That should reset it. If the inverter is not passing 120VAC you may have a bad inverter. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

If your microwave runs off the Inverter it could be the Inverter. If it runs directly off the shore cord you have a house power problem.

I'd call it meter time and start with the 12 VDC on the battery. If that is working you should have control voltage. It probably is because the generator started but it does not hurt to check.

The more I think about it the more I think you have a whole house Inverter and the transfer switch in the inverter is the problem. Your Inverter is charging using 120 VAC it is getting from somewhere. As I said, meter time.

Next thing is the terminals on the transfer switch, EMS, or panel box input cables. It won't be a short or you would be blowing the source breaker. That leaves an open circuit. Probably something loose or broken. Again, it sounds like the circuits for the Inverter output.

If you have a power cord reel it could have a brush problem. I might give it a good tap and spin but I think it is working because the EMS is working.

Good luck with it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
No power on generator or shore power. I’m guessing your transfer switch is shorted?
Might have to run a cord from power box to a heater
I don't think anything is shorted because no breakers or fuses are blown. If it was the ATS, wouldn't it run on generator or shore power one or the other? I ran an extension cord to run the heater in the basement.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There may be 2 push button breakers on the inverter.

What brand and model # ?
I can only see two sides, but I felt the other two and didn't come across anything.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If your microwave runs off the Inverter it could be the Inverter. If it runs directly off the shore cord you have a house power problem.

I'd call it meter time and start with the 12 VDC on the battery. If that is working you should have control voltage. It probably is because the generator started but it does not hurt to check.

The more I think about it the more I think you have a whole house Inverter and the transfer switch in the inverter is the problem. Your Inverter is charging using 120 VAC it is getting from somewhere. As I said, meter time.

Next thing is the terminals on the transfer switch, EMS, or panel box input cables. It won't be a short or you would be blowing the source breaker. That leaves an open circuit. Probably something loose or broken. Again, it sounds like the circuits for the Inverter output.

If you have a power cord reel it could have a brush problem. I might give it a good tap and spin but I think it is working because the EMS is working.

Good luck with it.
I think you're right about the inverter passing through 120 VAC. I don't have a power cord reel.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #9

Dennis , A drop light with an incandesant bulb carefully hung is usually sufficient
in our part of the country then you could put the space heater inside .

Your question about the transfer sw and gen or shore power , whether one or the
other would still operate is interesting and I must admit I don't know .
Thinking about it , it may depend on what goes wrong inside the sw or how a particular
manufacturer designed their sw .

Time to get out the volt meter .

Hope you get it sorted out easily , let us know
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
YC1

May be on the right track with the Inverter but if you are on 50 amp one leg may have tripped. I'm not sure I would trust anything except my own voltmeter.

I have seen one leg of a 50 amp post trip. Usually those are on ganged switches and when one trips it trips the other but I have found them totally separate and that one made me a bit crazy for a few minutes.

I had an inverter that actually burned a wire off inside and the breakers on the inverter were just fine.

Using your fan is a great way to check outlets of course but you can't to that on your post.

If you are using a dogbone things can go goofy as well. Floor heaters put a real strain on a dogbone if you are using two as you mentioned.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This is a simplified diagram I put together from the schematics. I'm ignoring the 12V system for now because everything that uses 12V seems to be working.

The transfer switch supplies 120VAC to "Main panel 1" through the main circuit breakers 4 and 5. It is distributed from that panel to the inverter via the two breakers labeled "Inverter 1" and "Inverter 2". The inverter supplies the 120VAC to "Inverter panel 2".

I did just a little troubleshooting this morning before work and if you look at main panel 1, you see the washer outlet is on breaker 8A and the water heater is on 8B. The water heater works and my fan works on the washer outlet. It'd be great if one of those two inverter breakers is bad and I will measure their output this afternoon, but I'm zeroing in on the inverter at this point.

What I don't know is how the inverter passes 120VAC to the Inverter Panel 2. I'm researching that now.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #12

You probably have a relay in the Inverter that does the same job as the transfer switch relays. The difference is that it chooses pass through or the Inverter output. I'd get the Inverter manual and see how they protect those circuits. It could be a fuse, a breaker that is hidden to your looking or a self reseting breaker. The manual should have a picture of the breaker locations. Self resetting breakers can fail.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
This is a simplified diagram I put together from the schematics. I'm ignoring the 12V system for now because everything that uses 12V seems to be working.

The transfer switch supplies 120VAC to "Main panel 1" through the main circuit breakers 4 and 5. It is distributed from that panel to the inverter via the two breakers labeled "Inverter 1" and "Inverter 2". The inverter supplies the 120VAC to "Inverter panel 2".

I did just a little troubleshooting this morning before work and if you look at main panel 1, you see the washer outlet is on breaker 8A and the water heater is on 8B. The water heater works and my fan works on the washer outlet. It'd be great if one of those two inverter breakers is bad and I will measure their output this afternoon, but I'm zeroing in on the inverter at this point.

What I don't know is how the inverter passes 120VAC to the Inverter Panel 2. I'm researching that now.

Dennis , I haven't been inside my inverter but I'm pretty sure the inverter
has a transfer switch of it's own inside .
When shore power is detected it is passed straight through when power
is not present the inverter takes over .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Turn incoming power off. Open Transfer switch. It is the common from Gen and shore power with no breakers thrown.

LEN