Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 12:41 AM   #1

No 12v DC House Power

I have new to us 2003 Monaco Dynasty Jack (39' with two slides).

All my power systems were working fine since we got the motorhome (2 months) - shore power, generator, house and chassis batteries, solar charging.

I've been running through several other problems (tag axle air leak, dash a/c, front roof a/c) since purchase.

I just replaced the front roof A/C's run and fan capacitor - fixed the problem - was getting nice 40 degree output (on a 97 degree day).

At some point after with A/C work, I lost all DC power to the motorhome. I think it was when I was using the mechanical cut for the house batteries (to check them since they don't seem to hold a charge very long).

The house batteries are getting charged (according to the solar control panel) and I show 13.7 volts with shore power connected - 12.6 volts with shore power disconnected.

When I rotate the mechanical battery cutoff in the battery bay to either on or off, I don't hear any relay or power switching sounds.

I am getting 12 volt DC power into the relay(?) box in the engine compartment (passenger side - four wing nuts to remove the box cover - four solenoid looking components and two heat sinks (one that had a green light)).

I will add a picture tomorrow - but I'm just not sure how to trouble shoot this issue. Of course without 12 volt DC, I have not A/C control, or lights, etc.

The engine and generator start fine - but no 12 volt DC with either of them on either. Shore power also makes no difference.

I have checked the salesman battery cutoff by the passenger side seat (it is in the ON position - no clicks or sounds from it when I cycle it).

Seems like a fuse, circuit breaker, or solenoid issue to me.

Thanks for any insight (the motorhome is at the house - so no real pressure to get it fixed ASAP, but my DW want to start some day and weekend trips to shake down the new motorhome, but I need to get this basic electrical problem fixed first.

Thanks - Jim
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 02:51 AM   #2
YC1

Quote:
I have checked the salesman battery cutoff by the passenger side seat (it is in the ON position - no clicks or sounds from it when I cycle it).

Look for a large panel that has solenoids inside. The solenoid/relay may be defective that supplies lots of power.

I can tell you where mine is out but do not have documentation on yours.

Our box is located below the driver outside compartment.

Someone will have the diagram for sure and it is very easy to diagnose once there.

If you can have someone toggle the switch you may be able to wander around and hear a clunk as it cycles.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would use your volt meter and trace the 12 volt circuit from the battery disconnect through the various components to make sure each is passing power.

Have you checked the Salesman "house" solenoid to make sure it is passing power, it is pretty common for these to fail. If it has failed you can bypass this by either adding a jumper across the solenoid or removing one of the wires and putting both on one side.

Not sure on you coach but I have after my 12 volt House Solenoid, I have a 50 amp mini breaker that feeds the 12 volt fuse panel in the bedroom.

I would determine what wires feed your fuse panel and check voltage on that circuit.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the inputs YC1 and jacwjames.

Here are some pictures from the rear (engine) compartment. I also need to take a look at the electrical compartment driver's side front (where the generator extend switch is).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Electrical.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	373762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside 12v box 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	373763  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside 12v box 3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	373766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside 12v box 4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	373767  

Old 08-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Suggest you consider joining the Monacoers.org site, they have a downloads sections with lots of good info including a complete set of 2003 Dynasty wiring diagrams. I was going to try and dig into the but they are +70MB. I'm sure it will show what you need to know.

But in your picture can you check the voltage across the 2 smaller solenoids on the right side of the picture. I'm guessing one of those is your salesman switch. Check them both with the switch on and off. If you follow the wires on the bottom left side of the picture there is a copper bar with circuit breakers, check to make sure all of these are working.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:26 AM   #6

jacwjames,

Thanks - I am leaning to the salesman switch/circuit also.

I will check it out when I get home - I think I will see if I can pop out the switch (near the passenger side seat arm rest) and just jump across it - the switch does not seem to be very positive in either position, so maybe it is bad.

One more question (for now) - do I have to remove the copper bar to reset the circuit breakers in the back bay, or do I just check for power on both sides?
Old 08-15-2022, 01:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mine circuit breaker like that are self resetting. Either good or bad.

Suggest joining the Monacoers.org site and getting copy of the wiring diagrams.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #8
YC1

Bottom right one, black. Looks like a latching relay that is used as the salesman switch setup.

Check the voltage in reference to a good ground on each large terminal. It should be close to battery voltage when activated.

If you do not get voltage across the large terminals, check the small ones. This is the control circuit. This does not require a continuous voltage to keep the solenoid engaged.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If it is the salesman switch relay you can easily bypass it by removing one of the large 12v cables and doubling it up with the one on the opposite side.
Only downside is your salesman switch will no longer disconnect the house batteries but you can use the master cutoff switch in the battery bay.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:33 PM   #10

Thanks all - I have a "PowerProbe" that works well for testing 12V DC - I'll get that out and check the solenoids - it has the capability to provide 12V power.

I think I can try to activate the solenoid by adding 12V momentarily to the switch (small wire) input leg.

If that works, then I know that the switch up by the passenger seat is bad (it seems kind of loose).

If I don't get 12V on both sides, I will connect both wires to one pole while a new solenoid gets delivered.

I'll make an update here as soon as I find anything more.

Jim
Old 08-17-2022, 01:08 AM   #11

Used my Power Probe to check for 12v across the solenoids - then used it to externally add 12v to the solenoid trigger. Clicked and all my house 12v is back working.

Is the salesman switch/solenoid locking? or does it need continuous power?

Anyone know of where to buy one of the salesman switches (the ones with a lock (that locks in the off position))? The one I found locks in the off position.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #12
YC1

Check this part out.

https://www.amazon.com/INTELLITEC-01...71443515&psc=1

Old 08-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #13

It's a latching relay. Some use reverse polarity to un-latch, other latch and un-latch with each pulse of 12 volt power from the switch.

You need to replace with the correct type.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:08 AM   #14
YC1

Look very close at the relay and see if there are markings on it. Then post another picture.

Tags
12v, power