RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #1

No 50 amp shore power - troubleshooting help please?

Left the campground in GA this morning and landed at friends house in VA earlier this evening.
Plugged into their 50 amp service, and no shore power inside coach.
My surge protector indicators show correct wiring on line 1 and on line 2 at their box, and surge indicators are lit.
Only getting 99 or 100 Volts on the AC Line Meter inside the coach. I didn't include full commentary here, but it seemed that "inverter" was flashing on the Xantrex RC7 GS while plugged into shore power
Switched to Generator power, and shows 118 V on the AC Line Meter that is plugged into outlet inside entry to coach.
Xantrex RC7 GS display indicates "System Status: Float Charging", with generator running.
What am I missing?
Any help is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 PM   #2

When you ran the gen set did everything ;120 volt inside the RV; work?

Is your surge guard between the auto transfer switch and the coach , or just in the shore line?

100 volts is low for shore power , my surge guard will shut down at 109/107.
Have you got the surge guard manual .
How about the Xantrex? it may be looking for higher voltage too.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:36 AM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Leaving out clues can be an issue but I will take a stab at it.

You need a voltmeter to be sure the post is providing the proper power.

That power goes to a transfer switch that is automatic. The switch could have loose connections or could have failed.

Running the generator may be supplying the proper voltages and the transfer switch defaults to that position so may work in that mode.

Between the shoreline post and transfer switch is often a hose reel and there can be a source but more often it is the transfer switch versus the reel.

If you were running the generator with your air conditioners running (high load), then plugged into shoreline and did not turn off the AC's before transferring the load you could have arced the transfer panel contacts.

Transfer panels are not magical nor very complex and do are not pricey. But you must be careful poking around in there if not competent with a voltmeter,
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #4

As stated your transfer sw is most likely the culprit and Monaco used a lot of Iota
switches in your coaches time frame .
Those switches were recalled because of problems and fires .
So if you have an Iota sw you should look into replacing it whether it's your
current :-) problem or not .
Unfortunately both Monaco and Iota went bankrupt so you are on your on .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #5

All good advice, above. However, I'd suggest some step by step diagnosis first.

Obviously you know how to use a volt meter and we don't know what type of surge protector you have or where it's located. It doesn't sound like it is an EMS type, however, which would shut down incoming low power to the coach.

If this was my problem, given the information, here's how I'd proceed:
1) Measure the voltage at the shore outlet, both lines. This may be the issue.

2) If outlet voltage is good, repeat the measurement at the transfer switch. Measure the shore power (cord) inlet lugs. If low, check that all lugs are clean and tight. If still low, the issue is the cord/connection to outlet. If good, measure at the outlet to coach lugs. If low, clean and tighten lugs. If still low, shore contacts are issue. If good, that puts you back to the panel.

3) Inside the panel, measure voltage at incoming lugs. If not same as at transfer switch outlet, issue with wiring to panel. Clean and tighten all lugs. If good, measure voltage at main circuit breaker. If low, replace CB.

4) The inverter is also a clue. You appear to be measuring the coach AC voltage from an outlet. The inverter has a pass-through circuit that allows shore power to go directly through to the coach outlets. As mentioned, that circuit may need to detect a higher line voltage that you are getting, but if you follow the steps, that will be known. The fact that you get full voltage when on gen power means that the pass through circuit is working.

Following the above steps will allow you to find the area of the problem quickly and you will not have to necessarily do all the steps.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I did just that, I was on 30 amp shore power and wanted to run both air conditioners so I started the generator while still plugged into shore power. cooked the transfer switch on the AC side. The generator side still worked and powered everything.
The Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #7

Thanks to all for your input on troubleshooting the 50 amp service issue.
With a voltmeter, I was able to determine that the post was not providing the proper power, as it had an open ground. We repaired, and all was good again.
I've got a lot to learn, still, but with the help of the good folks on this forum, I'm learning....
Thanks, again !
Be safe. Be well.

Tags
power, shore power