Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

No AC juice.

This should be a fun one. I have no AC. Been reading all of the old posts and came up with nada. The inverter seem to work fine. I have AC when it is on. Turn the Gen on, Zip. Same goes for shore power. The meter on the control panel shows squat. Everyone talks about the transfer switch, (ESCO ES50) which would be fine if I had power to it. Checked all of the lugs on both Gen and shore and nothing. So I guess I'm loosing my Juice some where between the originating source and the transfer switch. I checked all of the usual stuff, breakers and such. To make matters worse, a few hours ago it was working fine! No I didn't blow the back of the coach off. So this should give you guys with more brains than me something to mull over. 1997 Dynasty Princess.
Thanks in advance.
John C
1997 Dynasty
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loosing power from two independent sources leads back to the one item in common, the transfer switch or you have two problems with the same end result. For the time being I would chase shore power and try to get it back up. Ring out the cable by jumpering one of the hots to the neutral and check for the short at the switch. Do the same for the other hot and the ground.

The attached ESCO troubleshooting guide for a model LPT50BRD. A couple of years newer but maybe it will give you something to work with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LPT50BRD8x8x4TrblShootRepair020106.pdf (528.7 KB, 20 views)
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

As wild guess,

You have a short or heavy draw, in the MH, that first tripped the house breaker and then tripped the generator breakers as you tried that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know if you vintage coach has an Intellitec EMS system.

Mine did about the same thing, no power to the circuits controlled by the EMS. Had to replace the board and load meter to fix.

I was able to bypass the EMS system to get power to 1 AC unit but had to monitor my power consumption.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

I'd start checking from the end of the shore cord in to the transfer switch. If you have any kind of protection it can be tripped. The point is that you have power somewhere and it stops somewhere. The way to go after it is a logical tracing of where it should be.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If your description is accurate it can only be the transfer switch or your main power breaker. It has to be something common to both or as the person above pointed out, two separate problems, not likely. With shore power plugged in check the input side of the transfer switch. On three of those connections you should have power. So that and let us know.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Not sure if this applies to your year (mines an 05 Dynasty) , but I had similar type problems and it was the "big boy relay" (no kidding that's the name). Do a search you will find info on it if you've got one. Hope it helps
bpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John View Post
The inverter seem to work fine. I have AC when it is on. Turn the Gen on, Zip. Same goes for shore power. The meter on the control panel shows squat. Everyone talks about the transfer switch, (ESCO ES50) which would be fine if I had power to it. Checked all of the lugs on both Gen and shore and nothing. So I guess I'm loosing my Juice some where between the originating source and the transfer switch.
First let me say that I am not an expert so take what I say with that in mind. There are some things I do know after 20 years working with electronics in the Navy and working on my coach. If you have a generator, you will have a cord to switch between genny and shore power or you will have a transfer switch (TS). The cord or the TS are there to separate the genny power and the shore power if both are energized at the same time. By design there should not be anything common to both genny and shore power before the TS. The TS you mentioned is the same one I have. On one side it has 8 connections. 4 from the genny and three from shore power. 2 relays inside that route whatever power is active or if both are active it routes genny power by default (most of the time by design). So my point is that if the problem is common to both genny and shore power then it has to be either after the TS or the TS itself. If I can make it work I will attach a functional diagram that should help. Check the inputs of your TS again with both (not at same time) genny and shore power on. Make sure you know which side of the TS is input. You should have power there from at least one, probably both sources. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Schematic.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	154404  
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote