Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

No AC power

Greetings. Just spent 4 days on the road with that woman again. Day 1, she had the space heater going and plugged in her favorite 100 giga watt coffee maker. this time its bad. we lost the a/c receptacles on the drivers side and front boxes.

the receptacles work in the bed room. I know because my mouth landed me i'm in there by my self now.

there is no power in bathroom, kitchen, above couch, and tv box. she drove herself up to a little hard ware store and bought a dozen extension cords. the kind that a woman would buy. 6 foot long, about the thickness of a frog hair. she stung them all over the camper to get her power fix again. I would have bought 1 cord that was 1/8th mile long and 2 ought.

anyway. I've looked for a couple hours trying to find a gfi or something. I did shoot the wires coming out of the inverter. both legs good. 110 at main breaker panel. I did open the cover sink receptacle that the d#@m coffee maker was plugged in. It looks good. nothing burnt.

thanks for the help. "alone in the bed room again. "

2000 not so holiday rambler, septer. Dale
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
YC1

Find your inverter. See if there is a couple of breakers on it. Often power starts from the AC panel, feeds the inverter where it can change to DC to charge and run things and then will pass the same AC through to outlets. If the inverter/converter sees the loss of that input AC you can ask it to invert battery power to AC power.

If you put too much load on that circuit those breakers can pop and leave the breaker on the AC panel still in the on position.

IF you have a Energy Management System that sheds loads when you are connected to 30 amp shoreline versus 50 amp you could lose some circuits temporarily or permanently if the Management system has a breakdown.

A voltmeter will help but only if you are comfortable with one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
First blush is to check the breakers on the inverter (because bedroom is still on), but you already caught that. So, next is a GFI somewhere - they hide them well. Good luck.

Next up: 1-800-DIVORCE ?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Question: Are you going to keep her.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #5

thanks guys. yes, i've kept her or she kept me for 41 years now.

the inverter power is good. the breakers were reset. I removed the cover and checked for power out as well. there are 2 legs. one is designated with red tape?? the other with black tape? does that represent pass/drivers side i wonder?

my diagram shows a gfi on the drivers side, but at least an hour looking has failed to find it. any ideas on that.

I stand corrected. my coach was manufactured in 2000 but shows 2001 in the docs.

thanks, dale
Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1 View Post
thanks guys. yes, i've kept her or she kept me for 41 years now.

the inverter power is good. the breakers were reset. I removed the cover and checked for power out as well. there are 2 legs. one is designated with red tape?? the other with black tape? does that represent pass/drivers side i wonder?

my diagram shows a gfi on the drivers side, but at least an hour looking has failed to find it. any ideas on that.

I stand corrected. my coach was manufactured in 2000 but shows 2001 in the docs.

thanks, dale
If the breakers on the inverter are not tripped then look for a wall outlet in the bathroom area that has a GFI reset button. They are easy to miss because our mind just checks them off as a normal duplex outlet. Look close at all the outlets until you find the one with the GFI reset. Push the reset and see if that restores your power. Also don't forget to check the circuit breaker for the inverter in the main power distribution panel. It will either be a single 30 amp breaker or two 30 amp breakers depending on the inverter you have.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #7

The GFCI could be outside in a compartment, ( look up ), under a sink, facing down under a cabinet, or just about anywhere.

Don't send her out to find it ! If she does, you'll never live it down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On my coach the GFIC is actually located the the small service panel that controls all the inverter circuits. When one trips it's hard to see. Try tripping and resetting all the breakers in the small service panel.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
On my coach the GFIC is actually located the the small service panel that controls all the inverter circuits. When one trips it's hard to see. Try tripping and resetting all the breakers in the small service panel.
Jim, you lost me? do you mean on the front of the inverter? there is power coming out of the front of the inverter on both legs. goes into condunet and loose track of the wires there.

does anyone have a wiring diagram? thanks, dale
Old 04-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You should have two sets of circuit breakers in separate panels. One set is for the incoming 110v circuits and the other is for all the circuits supplied by the inverter. Some of the coaches use individual circuit breakers with a built in yellow GFCI reset button. These can be difficult to see if they are popped.

Other coaches have the standard Reset/Test GFCI buttons in the center of outlets (just like a residential house). These can be very difficult to find. Sometimes they are in the basement ceiling, the underside of the bed night stands, or other out of the way places. I've even found one in the engine compartment.

You should also have a Trace Inverter installed in the basement. Most of these inverters have one or two small round push in circuit breakers. These can also be difficult to see depending on how your inverter was installed.

Hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #11

Could be bad wire connection in an outlet. Pull outlets out closest dead ones to the inverter and check, do you have a digital meter? Outlets are strung along with wire going from outlet to outlet to outlet.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #12
YC1

https://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Circui...-1-spons&psc=1

Here is an example of a signal tracer. There are many fancy ones but a cheap one will work.

Turn off the power and clip the signal injector onto the AC wiring where you know power is live when turned on. Then use the tracer to sniff at each outlet you can find.

You can buy a decent one at Lowes too.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #13

Well, I’m embarrassed. Turns out it was the GFI in the right side basement area. The receptacle that is also plugged into the vacuum. I’ve checked it more than once. The cord or plug was keeping the button pushed in. Even though it it had tripped. I thought it was good or reset. It would not reset until the pushbutton was allowed to cycle down and back up.
I really appreciate all the help.
I had the jig saw out and was ready to cut into the cabinet to trace wires. The wife came out and said have you checked the GFI. I said absolutely three or four times. She said you better check it again. Darn it :-) no bikini tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD2B1E3B-6150-4F1F-94D8-9A404BE23443.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	240503   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADFD8733-50AC-436D-B866-9F88D09B10A6.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	240504  

dale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #14

Even though the button is held in. It is tripped.

Tags
power