Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #1
Loa

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No AC power ...Onan 7500 runs fine

Traveling this past week in my 2002 holiday rambler endeavor everything was working ok till I parked at Walmart for overnight stay and needed to use generator , fires right up but no ac power to house, EMS light doesn't come on indicating gen in use...checked ac breakers all are good...don't know what else to check out...newbie and new to me MH..
Thanks in advance
Loa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #2

Did you check the breaker right on the Gen assembly?

Is your transfer switch engaged for Gen connection? Good luck.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Check the breakers on the Inverter too.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Loa

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Libero and Dennis_K for quick replies....it was breaker on gen ...it's up and running thanks
Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 AM   #5

Los, Great all is well, that was my 1st thought and the second one was the transfer switch. For future reference - the inverter breaker suggestion is a good place to start if only "some" AC plugs devices are not working, it would not be the suspected source of the problem you described in your original post with "no AC showing up anywhere".

Suspect the inverter circuitry to be the culprit when only those circuits connected to the inverter have no power to them. But just to get yourself familiar with inverter provided power outlets or direct connected items, suggest you throw the inverter breaker to determine inverter sourced AC.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loa View Post
Thanks Libero and Dennis_K for quick replies....it was breaker on gen ...it's up and running thanks
Haha, did the same thing myself when I first got my rig. Called the dealer in a panic thinking the generator was broken.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #7

The generator breaker on my diplomat will trip most of the time if inverting with the generator running. It does it when the generator is shut down, then the next time I start the generator there is no power.
eddie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie g View Post
The generator breaker on my diplomat will trip most of the time if inverting with the generator running. It does it when the generator is shut down, then the next time I start the generator there is no power.
Something wrong there. Sounds like the inverter is back feeding to the generator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #9

As Twinboat said: Something is very wrong - there should be a Transfer switch in your inverter that essentially takes the inverter component out of the circuit when AC power is supplied so there should not be any "inverting" when the Gen is on. And it does indeed indicate the inverter output is feeding back to the generator when the gen is off. Time to get the schematic & multimeter out.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 AM   #10

I started having this happen for a couple of trips and starting to troubleshoot.It seemed to trip the instant the generator stopped running. I noticed a drain on the batterys and checked the inverter control inside. It was showing inverting but could not turn it off at the control. Checked the inverter itself and the switch was in the on position (we almost never use the inverter). Lot of head scratching but I found that with the switch in the on position it would override the control and invert all the time. I flipped the switch off and everything returned to normal, inside controller worked as it should, been over a year with no more problems.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
Loa

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Libero;2884605]Los, Great all is well, that was my 1st thought and the second one was the transfer switch. For future reference - the inverter breaker suggestion is a good place to start if only "some" AC plugs devices are not working, it would not be the suspected source of the problem you described in your original post with "no AC showing up anywhere".

Suspect the inverter circuitry to be the culprit when only those circuits connected to the inverter have no power to them. But just to get yourself familiar with inverter provided power outlets or direct connected items, suggest you throw the inverter breaker to determine inverter sourced AC.

Good luck.[/QUOTE

Good to know..thanks....Loa
Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie g View Post
I started having this happen for a couple of trips and starting to troubleshoot.It seemed to trip the instant the generator stopped running. I noticed a drain on the batterys and checked the inverter control inside. It was showing inverting but could not turn it off at the control. Checked the inverter itself and the switch was in the on position (we almost never use the inverter). Lot of head scratching but I found that with the switch in the on position it would override the control and invert all the time. I flipped the switch off and everything returned to normal, inside controller worked as it should, been over a year with no more problems.
Although you stopped the cicurit breaker from tripping there is still some kind of problem.

There should never be a connection between inverter, shore power and/or generator that will blow a breaker.

When you shut down the generator, the inverter transfer switch should switch to inverter power, isolating the generator feed, whether the inverter is on or off, automatically.

Is it true that you can use the inverter and not blow the generator circuit breaker ? I wonder if you are energizing the generator windings.

If true, my theory is that the transfer switch senses the drop in generator power, switches to invert, somehow back feeding against the power the generator is still producing as it winds down.

My guess is that someone jumped a non inverter outlet to a inverter powered outlet, causing the backfeed condition.

Do you have power at all outlets when the inverter is on ?

Check for power on the blades of the 30 amp plug, while the inverter is on.

I'm not being critical. Strange happenings intrigue me.

Just thinking out loud.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #13

Not to hijack this thread so last post

Could be a coincidence, just relaying what happened.
Everything has been fine for over a year. The wife is still working and uses the inverter now when we are traveling to power her laptop and whatever else she needs to work. This was Rex Darleys coach and it was in perfect condition when we bought it. I have done nothing to the electrical.

We use the coach 6 to 8 times a year.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loa View Post
Traveling this past week in my 2002 holiday rambler endeavor everything was working ok till I parked at Walmart for overnight stay and needed to use generator , fires right up but no ac power to house, EMS light doesn't come on indicating gen in use...checked ac breakers all are good...don't know what else to check out...newbie and new to me MH..
Thanks in advance
Had same problem, the ac terminal block on the generator had partially melted and luckily the hot wire fell out before genny caught fire. Ordered and replaced terminal block and all is well.
Eagles16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, onan