Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

No air pressure? Currently stuck!

It's been an eventful week. Last week before our trip the alternator blew up and took out the serpentine belt.

Still made our long weekend trip after repairing that and had a great time in Finland, MN..... But packed up to leave this AM and not getting any air pressure into the system.

I've crawled around under the rig while the engine is running and can't find anything leaking so it has to be that the compressor has failed? Currently waiting on roadside assistance for a tow to Duluth. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'm all ears!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can you reach the purge valve on the dryer? Make sure it's not open. With the engine running it will be hard hear an air leak. I find it hard to believe your compressor just failed.

Tim
Old 10-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

Could be the D2 (governor that controls air compressor cycling).

Certainly wouldn't hurt to lightly rap on it. And, they are under $25 and easy to change out. Any parts house that caters to OTR trucks will have them in stock.

If that doesn't work, try lightly raping on the top of the air compressor. Possible the unloader is stuck.

I would certainly try a couple of easy things before towing your coach!
Old 10-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Can you reach the purge valve on the dryer? Make sure it's not open. With the engine running it will be hard hear an air leak. I find it hard to believe your compressor just failed.

Tim
I know absolutely nothing about this system. Can you tell me where the dryer is and what it looks like?
Old 10-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
I know absolutely nothing about this system. Can you tell me where the dryer is and what it looks like?
They put them (usually) up high not far from the back air tank. There will be a filter on it and you will see large air lines going to and from it going to the tanks. Wolfe had good thoughts also.

Tim
Old 10-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what my air dryer looks like, it has a large filter on it ~6" diameter X 10" long give or take. My filter fits on top. If you have been in cold weather and the air dryer had moisture in it it could have frozen up and not let air pass. Filters should be changed 2-3 years. Normally when the dryer is working correctly it will purge air when systems gets to full PSI, you should have been able to hear it during your travels. If not I'd bet it's your air dryer.

Second attachment is the governor, most are mounted near the engine and 2 small hoses going to it. One comes from the compressor and the other goes to the compressor. This is what tell the compressor to do in order to build air. They do fail but not that common.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Air Dryer.pdf (63.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf 1 Air Governer.pdf (36.3 KB, 42 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #7

I believe this is the governor? It's on the curb side right below what I think is the compressor.

I don't see anything in the air system with the spin on style filter?

One of the neighbors stopped and we started the engine and he crawled around trying to find where air was coming from and didn't find anything leaking. No hiss when engine was stopped either.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #8

If you do have a dryer (most DO) just follow the larger diameter line out of the air compressor. Heck, there are only two lines-- one the IN and one the OUT.

If you don't have an air dryer, open the drain on the WET TANK. That is where the water and oil will have collected if not removed by an air dryer.

Have you tried raping on the governor? Again, if in doubt, replace it (around $25) before deciding on a tow.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My air dryer is mounted up high on one of the side rails near the engine passenger side.

I would be surprised if you did not have an air dryer. Trace the large hose from the compressor, first thing it goes to should be the dryer.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure which governor you have, the parts page list 2, yours is probably the first one 9754990010

Here is a link to some info including a troubleshooting guide
https://www.meritorpartsxpress.com/w...&storeId=10154
Old 10-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My air dryer is mounted up high on one of the side rails near the engine passenger side.

I would be surprised if you did not have an air dryer. Trace the large hose from the compressor, first thing it goes to should be the dryer.
I think I found the dryer behind the condenser. It had a broken wire going into it and the filter was loose!!! Spun that sucker back on, resoldered the wire and we are back on the road. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 10-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #12

I am surprised you did not hear that large an air leak-- one that did not allow pressure to build over 40 PSI.

But, very glad you identified and fixed it AND as importantly, that you did not need to be towed.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
I think I found the dryer behind the condenser. It had a broken wire going into it and the filter was loose!!! Spun that sucker back on, resoldered the wire and we are back on the road. Thanks everyone!!!
OUTSTANDING team effort! This is why I support this site. A wealth of knowledge and willing knowledgable folks who want to help others. And thanks to OP for posting, we all learn. Regards
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pretty odd for the desiccant filter to loosen up on it's own . It usually goes the other way!

Good to hear ya got it sorted !

Tags
air