Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Had same thing happen turned out to be a 6 or 9 pin connector going to the dash light bar. Just had to unplug and plug in to clean works fine now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Just returned from a 3,000 mile excursion and the problem resurfaced. So the ignition switch did not resolve the problem.

However this time when it resurfaced I was able to isolate it to the front electronics bay.

With the coach running and no speedo, tach, odometer or cruise control.

I located 2 ford style starter relays on the left side in the forward electronics bay and when I wrapped on them with a plastic screwdriver handle immediately heard a click and wallah all the electronics came on.

I'm confident this is the source of the issue and it also makes sense why shutting off the battery switch sometimes resolved the issue.

I am going to replace both solenoids due to their age. I didn't bother to isolate which is intermittent due to low cost and high probability the other will or is failing.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelsnkeels View Post
Just returned from a 3,000 mile excursion and the problem resurfaced. So the ignition switch did not resolve the problem.

However this time when it resurfaced I was able to isolate it to the front electronics bay.

With the coach running and no speedo, tach, odometer or cruise control.

I located 2 ford style starter relays on the left side in the forward electronics bay and when I wrapped on them with a plastic screwdriver handle immediately heard a click and wallah all the electronics came on.

I'm confident this is the source of the issue and it also makes sense why shutting off the battery switch sometimes resolved the issue.

I am going to replace both solenoids due to their age. I didn't bother to isolate which is intermittent due to low cost and high probability the other will or is failing.
Nice work! I'm at the after ignition replacement phase and only one incident since. I carry a spare of those solenoids for that reason.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #18

Good you are getting close to solving the problem.

While one of the RELAYS (I suspect they are relays not solenoids for the function you describe) as you first noted you heard a relay activate as you tapped in the area. This could be a relay problem, or it could also still be a bad connection. Did you remove the suspected defective relay(s) and check the voltage and connections around that area.

Indeed these intermittant problems are sometimes difficult to isolate but I carry an aerosol can of WD40 electronic contact cleaner and it works great to solve some contact problems in plugs or relay sockets etc. Just a though but relays do fail of course so if they are cheap, why not have spares.

Hope this thought helps.

Good luck.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Ordered the replacements from www.mouser.com 802-70-902
MFG Part No:70 111224
White-Rodgers Industrial Relays
US HTS:8505908000 ECCN:EAR99 COO:MX

(Indeed they are relays but appear to be similar to old style Ford Starter Solenoids)

Should arrive next week as they are replaced all the connections will get proper maintenance where needed.

Certainly can still be a loose connection if I'm taking them apart anyway fro $50 plus shipping I'll just replace them to be sure.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the detailed information. Did the relays finally fixed it?
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 AM   #21

I am having been having a similar problem with a 1996 Signature. Some of my driver accessories wont come on until i just "click" the starter. Its just driving me nuts. Same as your problem mine is getting worse. Let me know what you find.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
still fixed

Quote:
Well have taken 2 trips out so far and multiple starts with no recurrence of the symptom I believe the ignition switch was the culprit!
Well 2 year anniversary and everything is still fine the Relays in the front run box fixed the issue :-)

just thought I'd share
Old 10-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well 2 year anniversary and everything is still fine the Relays in the front run box fixed the issue :-)

just thought I'd share
3 more of the same relays in the rear run boxes so I am goging to replace them as preventative maintenance.

Considering replacing all the Hella black square relays in the front run box too for good measure. As they age contact relays don't improve lol

Tags
dash, lights