Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No dash warning lights , gauges, speedo, odometer

2001 Monaco Dynasty Cummins 350hp

Stopped in a campground and shut off the coach went to restart and the dash warning lights did not come on when the ignition was turned on. Continued to start position and the engine started. No indication on oil pressure or temp gauges. Turned it off and tried a couple more times no warning lights or gauges?

Called a tech support line and they suggested resetting the battery cutoff switches. It didn't work at first but I shutoff the batteries for 10 minutes. Then I turned them on and the warning lights cycled as normal and it started and all the gauges worked.

Made the trip home and several more without issue a couple months have gone by and last weekend we went out again. When we prepared to pull out of the campsite. Same issue again no warning lights as the key turned as before I cycled the battery cutoff switches allowing 5 or more minutes and it cam up normal and started.
Continued 20 miles and stopped at a trucks top for lunch when we came out the issue returned this time cycling the power had no effect frustrated started the engine from the rear start switches and listened to be sure it had oil pressure. As we were 30 minutes from home decided to try for the house.
Pulled out and had no tachometer, speedometer, oil pressure, Trans temp, or PAC brake.

Stopped for fuel and when I went to restArt the warning lights came on the wait to start cycled and everything worked the rest of the way home. Once in the drive I recycled the ignition switch from off to on and 3 out of 5 times if not more no dash warning lights or gauges?

Not sure if this is a bad ignition switch or possibly a bad ground?
Wheelsnkeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would look for a bad ground on the back of the dash cluster! Take rings and watches off of hands/arms. Reach behind the cluster and start moving connections to find a loose one. If your coach has a top dash opening above the cluster even better!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Surely if it was a bad ground then recycling the battery cutoff switch would not fix it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check ignition and/or accessory relay sticking. Probably in front run bay.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The cut off switch would make you think it was "fixing" it if it was a ground that sometimes worked and sometimes did not. We've had to fix grounds and clean them from one end of the coach to the other to fix problems in the dash area.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Surely if it was a bad ground then recycling the battery cutoff switch would not fix it.
Yes it can, but only temporary. Cycling the cutoff switch would cause a bad ground to arc. I have seen this several times in my time of working on electronics since I was 9 years old

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also think it is a bad ground. But rather thatn trying to find the problem, just run a new ground wire. Should be metal under the dash, and go to one of the ground lugs on the back side of a gauge.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2003 Dynasty did this two times two seasons ago but not consistant enough that I could troubleshoot it. This past season it did it once when we were stopped at a rest area heading to Moab but again not enough to diagnose/troubleshoot it. It did it one more time when we were in West Yellowstone in July at the campsite after checking in. I grabbed my meter and went to town looking for the problem.

I found that in the run position of the ignition switch I had abnormally high resistance, almost completely open. I could play with the key position and get the resistance to come down somewhat but not as low as a new switch.

Upon arriving home I replaced the ignition/key switch and when I got the old one out I could see with a meter that in the run position the key had to be in a very specific spot to get the resistance down to even under 1kohm. No problem since and everything has been fine the remainder of the season.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies I'll update the thread after some diagnosis I Orland on cleaning the battery terminals and replacing the ignition switch. At that time I'll check the grounding in the dash as well.

The good / Bad news is it's pretty consistent currently so it should be a little easier to fix
Old 10-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bought the BWD CS81 ignition switch at Advanced Auto for $17.87 plus tax.
Install took 15 minutes.

Tightened dash ground at the same time. Several cycles of the switch no errors no trips planned soon bug will update the thread once repair can be verified completed.

Thank for all the input!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well have taken 2 trips out so far and multiple starts with no recurrence of the symptom I believe the ignition switch was the culprit!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelsnkeels View Post
Well have taken 2 trips out so far and multiple starts with no recurrence of the symptom I believe the ignition switch was the culprit!
Great. Glad to hear you got her fixed.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #13

Good thread and excellent trouble shooting. I like fixes under 20 bucks
747guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #14

I had the very same issue. The dash info finally quit all together.
I Took it to Master Tech and $1600 later it was fixed. It was the Control Mod Light bar for the dash. Part # 1539-10237-29
PR
promine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, lights