Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

No dc power

1999 Monaco Windsor
2kw trace inverter

In rainbow springs state park Florida and all if a sudden no dc power. Inverter is flashing yellow fast but turning switch on and off has no effect on the flashing light. This is on generator and
Campground 50 amp power

Microwave, outlets , tv all working but no lights or air conditioning

Anyone have any ideas

Thanks
Jim
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
In what shape are the batteries? Have you tested them?
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq View Post
1999 Monaco Windsor
2kw trace inverter

In rainbow springs state park Florida and all if a sudden no dc power. Inverter is flashing yellow fast but turning switch on and off has no effect on the flashing light. This is on generator and
Campground 50 amp power

Microwave, outlets , tv all working but no lights or air conditioning

Anyone have any ideas

Thanks
Jim
No 12v power can mean many things. I do not know if your inverter also does the conversion of 120v to 12v for battery charging or if you have a separate converter/charger. However, with no 12v, you could have the main 12v circuit breaker tripped. Also make sure someone didn't bump the house battery disconnect. The charging system could also have failed a while back and the batteries are now dead. I am assuming the flashing inverter is just complaining because of no 12v. My first check would be at the batteries to see what the actual voltage is. If they're up around 12.2v or more, then I would suspect a breaker. If they are 11v or less, I would suspect the charger has failed or possibly a fuse or breaker on the charger. If the batteries are down, you can run the engine to bring them back up for now or get an automotive battery charger and use that until you get it firgure out.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like one of your main AC circuit breakers is tripped. 20 or 30 amp one. Did you check power at hookup? Maybe one of its breakers is tripped.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a Battery Cut-Off Switch which activates a solenoid located someplace possiblyin an electrical bay?

If you cycle the switch numerous times with no results, it's likely the solenoid has failed. They are a high failure rate item.

I have had mine bypassed for the last 8 or 9 years now and don't miss the stupid switch. In fact when I first purchased the coach I would accidentally hit it when entering or exiting the coach and it was annoying so I put a "lock" on it that solved one problem. But later the whole thing went kaput.

[On edit], the flashing yellow on your inverter means that it is on but not inverting as you have adequate 120 VAC power. Mine flashes yellow and also another indicator light flashes green when the inverter is in stand-by. The green light will burn constant when the inverter is actually supplying inverted power to the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Cut-off Relay-01.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	49594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step & Battery Switches.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	49595  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Remember that he is telling us the rear A/C is off as well-sounds like a ac problem.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Air conditioners will NOT work unless you have 12 VDC to power the CCC thermostat, aka Comfort Control Center.

At least that's the way it is my Monaco Windsor.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Remember that he is telling us the rear A/C is off as well-sounds like a ac problem.
You need 12vdc to operate the A/C units, so they will not work without 12vdc. He has 120v as stated as the micro works fine. If he has a separate converter/charger, then yes he could have a tripped AC breaker in the coach that protects the converter/charger circuit. It could also be a tripped GFI if the charger is on a GFI circuit. Again however, I do not know what controls battery charging/conversion in his particular coach.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This sounds like a classic solenoid failure. On the wall back wall of the battery compartment, usually, is the main 12volt solenoid. WHen the switch in the stairwell is toggled by your helper, you should hear this click. Even if it does, it may not be completing the circuit. Test it with your voltmeter or test lamp to see if there is 12 Volts at both posts.

We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde
Freedmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
YC1

Measure your battery voltage across the terminals, OR:

Start your engine. Run it for a few minutes. If your lights come on then your batteries were not getting charged.

If the lights do not come on then as suggested you probably have a salesman solenoid not working.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #11

Batteries are interstate and less than a year old
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Try the following:

1) Is the salesman switch inside the door off?
2) Do the betteries measure over 12 volts with multimeter?
3) Is the 300 amp fuse blown?
4) Is salesman switch solinoid transferring power?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #13

I would also check the chassis ground. Have seen that were the ground would make contact at times and not at others.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq View Post
Batteries are interstate and less than a year old
This might indicate they are still usable (if dead) but not much else. You need to test then voltage at the batteries for us to advise further and what to check next. Troubleshooting problems like this needs specific steps in order to find the problem. If you do not have a voltmeter and know how to use one, you can try the things suggested you know how to do. Then let us know the results. Otherwise, you may be stuck will calling in a pro to do all this diagnosis on site.