Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
There is a great diesel shop in Grand Junction Colorado called
"Stewart Stevenson". They can fix your problem there....
DO NOT go over Colorado mtns without the Jake Brake working. I travel over Colorado mtns all the time and would not think of doing it without my Jake. Your coach is heavy and can build SPEED very fast. No grade is too much with properly working Jake Brake and slower speed......

Stewart & Stevenson | Home

Good luck
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #16

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm taking your advice and am currently in a Kenworthy service center in Grand Junction. Unfortunately the techs are having trouble determining what the problem is. They've been at it for hours and we spent the night here in the parking lot. I'm hoping that it is not the ECM.

Thanks again,
Smarkle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You probably picked the most expensive option! Hope you've got a fat wallet!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshappycampers View Post
you probably picked the most expensive option! Hope you've got a fat wallet!
i disagree. I think the most expensive option is going without an exhaust brake.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
i disagree. I think the most expensive option is going without an exhaust brake.

You're right Tony, but I was referring to the choice of shops!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #20

Steve the biggest failure item on the Detroit Jake Brake is the switch inside the foot pedal. If you have a multimeter then you can disconnect the plug going to the foot pedal and check the operation of the switch with the ohm meter. I bought just the replacement micro switch from Graingers.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #21

Replacing the ECM worked. Made crossing the Rockies a breeze but very expensive!
Smarkle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #22

Here is something real important to Signatures with Detroit S-60 diesels and is probably the cause of your ECM failure and if so it will fail again. On the nine side of your coolent header tank is a level sensor. This is the tank with the radiator cap on top and the sight gauge for coolant level. Look on the engine side of that tank and you will see a sensor with a plug attached. If that sensor is black plastic then most likely the cause of the ECM failure. What happens is that black plastic level sensor cracks and leaks coolant which is wicked down that wire to the ECM and shorts it out. There is a notice from Monaco about this and it should be replaced with the Detroit brass version which is about fifty bucks. If yours is black then pull the plug off and stick your little finger into the sensor and see if it comes out wet. If so let me know and I will give you the part number for the brass replacement. It cost me an ECM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Here is something real important to Signatures with Detroit S-60 diesels and is probably the cause of your ECM failure and if so it will fail again. On the nine side of your coolent header tank is a level sensor. This is the tank with the radiator cap on top and the sight gauge for coolant level. Look on the engine side of that tank and you will see a sensor with a plug attached. If that sensor is black plastic then most likely the cause of the ECM failure. What happens is that black plastic level sensor cracks and leaks coolant which is wicked down that wire to the ECM and shorts it out. There is a notice from Monaco about this and it should be replaced with the Detroit brass version which is about fifty bucks. If yours is black then pull the plug off and stick your little finger into the sensor and see if it comes out wet. If so let me know and I will give you the part number for the brass replacement. It cost me an ECM.
So that begs the question Mike, how do you deal with the existing coolant that has already wicked up the wiring harness to the PCM? Just thinking out loud.

We dealt with that situation in the automotive world only with fuel, but as you know the evaporation rate of gasoline and the evaporation rate of coolant are two different situations to deal with.

As always,thanks for you input and sage advice.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #24

That was my question when it happened to me. I wanted to change the wiring harness but it was too difficult. It seems to wick down only to the forward plug on the ECM so I took it off and sprayed it with aerosol contact cleaner every month for six months. It was pretty easy to do and have never had a problem since. That ECM new is $1800 plus labor. When the coolant wicks down the cable into the ECM there is no telling what the indications will be. Mine was a Check Engine Light and a Stop Engine Light and an occasional water in the fuel light. At one time my brakes lights were on continuously from the Jake Brake.

Tags
brake, engine, tow