Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No Fire

Chassis batteries showing 12.9v but nothing at the ignition??? Headlights not working but step and well cover working. Everything else is pretty much house battery and is working. Bad relay somewhere??? 2007 HR Endeavor
BayouBoy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you looked at the chassis battery disconnect switch. Check for power on both sides of the switch.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #3

I would assume that when you turn the key to the run position you are not hearing you normal bumps, beeps, clicks and such...

I had this happen to me years ago, was just the 12 volt ignition relay in the forward run box. I think there were two of them. I could turn the key to run, walk outside and tap on the relay with a screwdriver handle, it would click, come alive and be good till the next key switch cycle.

Not sure if that is your issue, just worth a try to get going easy.

One note though, two schools of thought, if it works, drive on and fix it as soon as you can and risk it failing while driving (which normally does not happen once engaged). And/or two, identify it and fix it before moving.

Many things it could be, but this is a common problem area.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBoy63 View Post
Chassis batteries showing 12.9v but nothing at the ignition??? Headlights not working but step and well cover working. Everything else is pretty much house battery and is working. Bad relay somewhere??? 2007 HR Endeavor
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #4

I don't know how close your configuration is to the '06 Dynasty, but our has four circuit boards and two breakers in the rear run box that are on the load side of the chassis battery disconnect switch. Board R1 has the start solenoid and the ignition. Board R2 has the back-up and brake lights. Board R3 has the fuel filter and A/C clutch. Board R4 has the step cover, tow marker lights, Sanicon, condenser fan and power reels. One breaker is for tow vehicle power and the other is the engine start solenoid.

The "common denominator" that I see is the feed from Lug #2 (second from the left) to those four circuit boards and those two circuit breakers.

The headlights and quite a bit of other systems are on Lug #1, thru a 150 amp breaker that feeds from Lug #2. Lug #2 is the source, so if what you say is powered and what you say is not, I am suspecting the feed from Lug #1 to the four boards and the two breakers.

If your coach isn't like our's, I'm sorry for the boring post. Good luck to you!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Possibly Inadvertently bumped the rear run switch?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9116.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	192647
Old 02-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. All the relays tested good, 3 in front run bay and 2 in rear bay. I tested anything that mentioned ignition. Fuses good also. I'm only getting 6.9 volts on the hot leg to the ignition switch and when I turn the key it drops to 2.7 and no other leg coming out of it gets hot? A lil confused at this point, could it be the ignition switch itself??? Is 6.9v normal to the key? I couldn't find a solenoid, am I over looking one somewhere?
Oh, 12.8 volts in and out of the battery cutoff.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #7

I don't have my diagram in front of me so I could easily be wrong.
I have no idea how the relays could test good which tells me they energise, 12-14 volts in and out and stuff not powering up?
If that's the case sure sounds like an open power or ground main cable or popped main breaker.

I was thinking the ignition switch just closes the relays which are testing operational.

Hopefully someone can chime in and correct me on that!
Windecker
Old 02-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

Oh yea, also ignition switch unloaded (off) position voltage sound wicked low. A bit harder to measure accurately loaded. I can't imagine Monaco restricting ignition voltage. Is there a chance that low voltage is not pulling the relays in?

Where does the ignition switch pull it's power from? Tske a look there and see if it's line voltage, regulated voltage or stepped down voltage.
Windecker.

It just seems suspicious.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Windecker, you can test relays by putting hot to 86 and ground to 85, you should hear it click, leave it hot and use a mutitester to check continuity between 87 and 30.
I was able to put 13.2 volts to ignition hot (the one reading 6.9) from a "house" source and she acted normal and fired up. I disconnected this "jumper" immediately and everthing worked fine for about 6 cycles and now Im back to low voltage coming to ignition. Will investigate more tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
sounds like there are bad Grounds somewhere.

Run a extra with a jumper cable and see if everything is suddenly fixed.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When all else fails, start over.
Wow, corroded ground wire inside "eye" connection. It was clean and tight but wire was shot. We're rolling!!! Thanks for input guys, it kept me sane, lol
Old 02-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #12

As frustrating as all that was for you, it was a cheap fix which is awesome.

Someone will take advantage of this experience later which is the point of this forum
Windecker

Quote:
Wow, corroded ground wire inside "eye" connection. It was clean and tight but wire was shot. We're rolling!!! Thanks for input guys, it kept me sane, lol
Old 02-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the fix reply. Not all OP's do that.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #14

I give up. What is an "eye" connection?
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire