RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No heat and we are cold! Help

We have an 06 Endeavor, dual ac/ heat pumps and dual propane furnaces. Have owned coach several years and no problems. We got up here to Maine a few days ago and it got down in the 30s at night. First sign of problem is furnace doesnt cut off when set temp reached, had to turn off control station (one control box for everything) to get the one furnace I was running to cut off. Yesterday evening it was warm enough to use the heat pumps This morning, got up to turn the thermostat on and at it doesnt even show an option to turn on the heat pumps or the furnace for either zone. So I am sitting here in the cold looking at posts. I read on one post to reset the Duo-Therm Comfort Control station by pressing zone and mode while turning the unit on, now it says EE and I cant get it off that and the manual is no help. Any suggestions besides calling the repair guy? Thanks Sounds like the control station/ thermostat is bad but my problems are not normally simple. Thanks in advance. By the way, we have full batteries, are connected to AC power, and we have full propane tank. Fuses and breakers for the furnaces and rooftop units are good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #2

When I had my HR the thermostat circuit board would corrode. I would unsnap from wall clean and was good as new. Don't let wire fall in the wall if you unplug it.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Do the reset this way:

a. Turn the ON/OFF switch to .OFF. position.
b. Simultaneously depress and hold the MODE and ZONE
push-buttons while turning the ON/OFF switch to .ON..
FF should appear in the LCD display until the MODE
and ZONE push-buttons are released.
c. When a dip switch is turned on or off after initial configu
ration, a system reset will need to be done before the

Comfort Control Center
TM will recognize the updated selection.

Also see the attached PDF on the thermostat trouble shooting.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf ccc5.pdf (672.6 KB, 66 views)

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have tried the reset instructions provided ( thanks) and I still get the EE code and nothing else displays. According to my google search that means a communication issue with the phone cable going to the roof unit(s). I still suspect the thermostat since I havent touched the wiring since this whole issue began ( unless I have a mouse in the house somewhere!) I am going to get some contact cleaner today and clean the thermostat and see if that resolves anything.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #5

If you suspect a bad telephone cable form the t-stat to the AC unit, you could get a new cable, I'm not sure if it's a four wire or a six wire cable, and take your thermostate of the wall and plug it into the jack right on the main AC unit. I'm not sure if the thermostat plugs into the furnace and then a wire goes to the AC, or is it the other way around.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
If you suspect a bad telephone cable form the t-stat to the AC unit, you could get a new cable, I'm not sure if it's a four wire or a six wire cable, and take your thermostate of the wall and plug it into the jack right on the main AC unit. I'm not sure if the thermostat plugs into the furnace and then a wire goes to the AC, or is it the other way around.
Greg
Thats a great idea Greg. I was going to run down to Radio Shack and get some contact cleaner anyhow. Looks like I just have to make sure to rewire the phone cord to match the thermostat cord. Read somewhere that telephone cable has the wires rolled. I found a replacement tstat in Bangor, which is about an hours drive from Acadia in case all else fails. Thanks again everyone I hate to spend my last day here working on the motorhome, but thats ok.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Wiring diagram for the cable is in the manual attached above in post 3.

Here is a fairly detailed cable cleanup procedure someone did: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Duo-Therm not working

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Do not use standard telephone wire. The connections at the end are reversed. You will cause more damage to the system.

It could take a few days to get your system fixed. I would get some portable heaters until you get things sorted out.

Good Luck
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Disconnect the telephone cable from the T-stat and the Air conditioner and then put them back in. Could just be a loose - bad - or corroded connection. Then do the reset again.

READ the PDF I sent you.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the help everyone. Turned out to be a bad comm. cable between the front roof unit and the T'stat. We bought a spare cable and ran along the floor between the two and everything works like new. Now we just need to find out the cable routing the factory used and pull a new wire. Must have been a mouse or just some place rubbed in two. THanks again for all the help. At least we have heat now and we will be fine till we get back home. IRV2 forum is GREAT!!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Larry the factory cable is run through the walls and ceiling. There is just no way to install a new cable the way the old one was.

It could be the ends of the cable are damaged. If you have a meter you can do a continuity test of each wire and see if they are all OK in the cable. If so, put new ends on the existing cable.

Lowe's sells a kit with new ends and crimper in their electrical department. You just cut the old end off, insert the cable in a new end and crimp it. Make SURE you have the same color on each side of the new plug as the old one.

Hope the new ends will fix the problem as running a new cable will be very difficult if you hide it.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #12

I like Rex's suggestion. My old 4 button drove me nuts for a couple of years and even had a rebuilt t-stat sent to me. To make a long story short before I was about to bite the bullet and replace AC/Heatpump units and get a new 5 button t-stat I went ahead and replaced the phone connection at the t-stat and ceiling units. Luckily it worked and still going strong.
AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattacuda View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone. Turned out to be a bad comm. cable between the front roof unit and the T'stat. We bought a spare cable and ran along the floor between the two and everything works like new. Now we just need to find out the cable routing the factory used and pull a new wire. Must have been a mouse or just some place rubbed in two. THanks again for all the help. At least we have heat now and we will be fine till we get back home. IRV2 forum is GREAT!!
Larry,

We have a small tester purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot, can't remember which, that has a terminator that plugs in at one end of the cable. You go to the other end of the cable and plug in the tester. It shows opens and shorts for all six wires of an RJ-11 and will also test if the cable is a cross over or straight through. The tester did not cost much and comes in handy. I used it to find out why my Progressive Industries remote display would not work through the coach RJ-11 system. The same tester can also be used to test coax cables and RJ-45 cables. Using an ohm meter to test the RJ-11 jacks and cable is very difficult because in most cases you cannot reach both ends of the cable at the same time with the meter leads. Another problem is that you will not be able to make connection with the small contacts inside the RJ-11 plug unless you build a test jig. With the tester I have you can also put a tone on the line to help locate the other end. Good luck.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
thanks Bob. I will get one. it is a pain with a VOM meter. By the way, thanks again for the remote you gave me, it works great!

Anyone have anybidea where Monoco routed the front unit cables down the side walls so i know where to start looking when we get home?