RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No hot water

Got up this morning and went through the usual who gets to shower first knowing that the last person has to squeegie.....well I lost as usual and had to wait until Nita finished. I jumped in the shower turned on the water and tried to adjust the temp but when I pushed the valve over to hot it shut the water off.

I tried the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom with the same result....no water when the faucet was pushed all the way to hot, cold water worked fine. I think that the outlet from the water heater must be corroded shut. Has anyone else experienced this ?

nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Turn your BY-pass valve and see if you have water.

R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Your By-Pass has a one way valve in it that can fail and stop or reduce the flow of hot water.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #4

Had the same thing happen to me last winter. There is a one way check valve on the output side of the water heater just before the bypass valve. It's a brass valve with a cheap plastic plunger inside. On mine the plunger broke and the spring got wedged between the valve body and plunger jamming it in the closed position. Worst part was working through the little door for access to the rear of the water heater. I ended up removing the water heater to get the valve out.
justlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies .... I think you are all correct that the one way valve has failed. I have a tech coming out to fix it today.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Justlou.. THat story sounds familure Were you at Indian Lakes Campground when that happened?

NOTE: Folks... Lou's guess is mine too (and no, that was not Lou that had the problem at Indian Lakes cause that camper did not take the valve out)

What happend there was two ladies had the exact same problem.. I told them about the checkvalve and the older (Mother/daughter) gutted the valve, removed the plunger and spring and left just the housing.

That's way easier than getting the valve out and unless you wintereize by the wet method with a 1 or 2 valve bypass you do not need the check valve. They winterize the same way I do (Dry method) and thus do not need the valve.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well looks like I need a new water heater Seems you have to drain and flush the tank every so often...if only I had read my manual.....expensive lesson. I'm going to put an anode rod in the new tank to help with the hard water problem here in Long Beach. If you haven't drained and flushed your water heater yet I highly recommend doing so. I could not believe the amount of calium deposits that came out of the tank.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless the tank is leaking I don't think it should be necessary to replace the whole heater

I would seek a 2nd opinion.. After all.. I'm not an expert.

That said.... I very strongly suspect many experts do not know about the check valve(s) they use on those.. I know the story I told above the Mother called Surburan and they said no such valve existed... She then took the advice of real experts, folks who RV full time, and gutted the valve Surburan said did not exist.

I do agree with the occasional flush and anode replacement though.