Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #15

OK got it I, m on my way back to the coach I,ll let you know

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
OK got it I, m on my way back to the coach I,ll let you know

Jim
Hope you find the issue
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #17

just got back I could not find any salesman switch or anything similar did all Monacos come with one? I think the problem is weak batteries which I hadn't considered since the batteries are only 2 years old per the dealer I bought it from no dates on the batteries lots of electrolytes but very low voltage. I guess I was lied to or misled (to be generous) I guess I,ll go to Sears and get new ones.

thanks for your help

Jim
Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
KIX

Now I'm confused. YOur post #10 said that the gen and the main engine readily start. This tells me that the house bank has enough voltage to start the gen........same with chassis battery bank.
No you say that house bank voltage was "very low". Voltage that is low enough to not illuminate a light is way too low to start an engine. I'm still going with the salesman switch ot the relay the switch controls. Salesman switch = controls all 12v into coach, used by salesmen to show coach to buyers.....salesman turns switch off when leaving coach. The switch is very near the entry door. A coach of the quality of yours will have such a switch. You may have turned it off in error.
Another "test" is to turn an interior light to the on position. I know you said they don't work. With the switch on engage the "battery boost" or " emergency start" switch on your dash. This will "tie" the two battery banks together untyil switch released. While depressing the switch....if light illuminates then house batteries are the likely problem.....if light does not illuminate then the salesman switch is the likely problem.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
If the generator and engine started, you don't need to replace batteries. Here's a link to a brochure on the 2007 Beaver Contessa. It says you have TWO battery disconnect switches, one "by the front door." the other is "in the battery compartment." Look in the step well and/or under the dashboard inside the door.

Page 14 http://guaranteerv.com/upload/media_...7-contessa.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #20

you are absolutely correct about the batteries I,m the one who is confused. the gen and motor start right up My source of confusion is I just bought a volt meter (my first) and I read the directions and checked the batteries and the readings came out ar 6 I know they are supposed to be between 13 and 14 (?) so I jumped to a conclusion obviously I did it wrong but I,ll learn with trial and error as in all things. I,ll keep looking for the salesman switch

thanks

Jim
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #21

as far as the battery disconnect I,ll keep looking but am not aware I touched them since everything was working 2 weeks ago but it has got to be something simple like that

thanks for the link to the brochure I printed it out and will keep it

Jim
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
If you touched the negative of one battery and the positive of the same battery, it very well could be 6 volts. The brochure says you have two 12 v chassis batteries and four 6 v house batteries. Each of your house batteries would be 6 v, or actually 6.6-7 if it's fully charged.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
................... I just bought a volt meter (my first) ..................
We all had a first time with everything.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

Check on your inverter and see if you have 2 circuit breakers. Mine have 2 pop-up types that tripped once and gave me the same issues you're describing.

bill h
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #25

I,m heading back to the MH tonight after work after thinking about it all night I'm sure it must be a salesmans switch. I have 2 battery disconnects in the rear by the batteries and according to the brochure you sent me there is one battery disconnect in the front. Since there is only one in the front I assume this would be the salesmans switch and it would only disconnect the house batteries but not the chassis batteries Correct ???

Jim
Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #26

I think I,m confusing volts with amps I checked the coach batteries and they showed 6 volts which would be correct I assume there is another setting on the voltmeter that would show amps and this should be around 14 if battery is good. Is that right?

Jim
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Most multimeters won't read too many amps, read your multimeter's instructions to see limitations. Problem is, amps is a measure of current, which is only flowing when under use. There are no amps present until a load is put on the battery.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

On my windsor, the genny slide is hydraulic. It's not controlled by the sales man switch. The Parking brake must be set for the slide to operate.

bill h
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power