Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No power and vibration under load

Here is one for you! 2008 Endeavor 8.9 Cummins.
I was driving uphill under half throttle and the engine started surging (like an intermittent miss). A little later it began to develop a vibration under power that turned into a heavy vibration when pushing the throttle and barely able to pull a hill. Of course I am at least an hour from any town and its getting dark. It got down to going uphill in first gear at 15 mph and surging just to get over the hill. Now I am stuck in a small town looking for answers and solutions on a Sunday.

I was able to determine that it is only throttle related and occurs even on cruise control.
I am concerned that it will leave me on the side of the road and it is a couple hundred kilometers to the next town.
I cannot see any leaks or strange sounds. It runs normal at idle and has not used any extra fuel, no smoke of any form. Everything seems fine except power and vibration.
My scan tool shows no codes!
Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a lift pump or injector contamination as possibles. Going to put a new set of filters on if I'm still here when Napa opens tomorrow.
Dave Wilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #2

First suggestion with power related issues with a diesel is CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER(S).
Old 06-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

I meant to get some spare filters before I left on this trip!
I may end up staying in the parking lot of this grocery store till tomorrow whn Napa opens.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #4

Good idea. If it is a clogged fuel filter you do not want to starve the fuel injection system.

Please let us know what you find.

The other thing that you can check is "plumbing" from turbo to CAC and CAC to intake manifold. Something as simple as a broken clamp that allow a boot to blow off leads to zero boost. Usually not a cause for bucking, just no power. But easy to visually check.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is there another auto parts store in the area that may be open today that you can buy your filters from?

Tim
Old 06-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #6

I am in a town of 3000, just happy Napa is even here!
I will check that plumbing to the CAC and turbo again but I didn't see any thing previously.
All good suggestions, keep em coming
Old 06-06-2021, 11:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would buy extra fuel filters.

When you change the filters look closely at the primary to see if there are any signs of contamination "algae". When I had it the top of my primary filter was covered with it, black slime. I had not noticed any power/engine problems and was changing on a preventative basis. From then on I started using Biobor, an algaecide, coupled with Startron an enzyme. Haven't had algae problem since then.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

Local mechanic stopped in and said change the filters then take for a run. Do a forced regen and if it doesn't clear up then find a shop

He also stated that I just went over the highest 4 grades in Ontario with some higher than the rocky mountain passes. So even though I am loosing power I should be OK if needed to make the next town(two hours away) that has a truck center.
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone
Old 06-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #9

No forced regen on these coaches.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wilkes View Post
So even though I am loosing power I should be OK if needed to make the next town(two hours away) that has a truck center.

Please, before you decide to drive two hours (assuming filter change does not fix it) PLEASE GIVE CUMMINS A CALL.

Would hate to see you take out an expensive injection pump from fuel starvation. I have no first hand knowledge of the fuel injection part of your 2008, but Cummins WILL.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #11

You might want to buy a filter wrench also unless you already have one.
I would not have been able to remove mine without a wrench. Either they cranked them real tight previously or did not use lube on the seals.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #12

Found the issue!
Even though it was acting like bad fuel and varying degrees of dirty injectors. It cleared up after refilling the tank but wasn’t completely gone away. Still some vibration and varying power only under load and mainly when pulling hills
Ok ok the issue was..... a bad u joint
It spit it out and took a chunk of the trans with it. Put a dent in the oil pan as well and left a nice dent in my new trailer
800 for the tow and looks like around 10 k for the repair!
Luckily no one hurt
I was so convinced it was fuel related that with 43000 miles on it I dismissed the u joint theory till about two minutes before it went!
Better to spend money than have someone injured
Old 06-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, sorry to hear that.

Tim
Old 06-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #14

When they pull the drive shaft/U joints, look closely to see if there was grease in them.

I have inspected coaches that had just been "serviced" and interestingly, one of the U joints had both grease zirks broken off. They had been broken long enough that they were completely rusted.

So likely a number of "techs" just said "not my job" and moved on.

Your are correct-- that is very early for a U joint to fail if it has had routine lubrication.

Tags
no power, power, vibration