Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #1

No power inside!

We moved from 30’ Airstream to a used Class A. Yesterday I picked up a 2001 40’ diplomat and everything worked fine.

Last night we camped in it for the first time. Everything worked. A/Cs ran during the night. This morning there is no power in the coach. The xantrex says inverter on, batteries at 100%, but there is no power going to anything. None of the power status lights are lit. I can’t select power source. I checked all the house breakers in the bedroom and none tripped. Checked fuses and all are intact.

RV park sent maintenance to check pedestal. It is getting full volts & amps. Park said I could swap sites & confirmed power at that pedestal at a different site.

Fridge runs off inverter and microwave clock has power. Batteries still at full charge.

Generator was powering A/Cs while I contacted dealer but it stopped and won’t restart. Generator won’t restart even when engine is running and I press the aux start button. Dealer said he would send maintenance tech but that won’t be for 2-3 days. I cranked the engine to lower the coach to move but slides won’t come in and now hydraulic levelers won’t go back down. I’m stuck.

HELP!
Tomevansfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #2

Good morning Tomevansfl; Are you referring to 120V A/C power or 12V D/C power inside the coach or both? From what you are describing I think you have lost your 12 D/C power to inside the coach. Do you have interior lights? On most Monaco coaches the so called, salesmen switch or battery disconnect switch that is usually inside the front door powers a lot in the coach. Different items in the coach are requiring 12 V power to run certain items. Some examples are needing 12V power to start or run the generator, the refer, the A/C furnace thermostat and the tank information center and maybe the dash radio. The D/C power is provided by the house batteries. There is a solenoid that is activated by the battery disconnect switch and sometimes these drop the connection off due to age and bad contact's in the solenoid. I think yours is in the battery compartment, but not sure. Check your owners manual under the electrical section ands that info should be in there. If you don't have a manual that came with the coach you can go to Monaco coach web site and download the manual. Hope this info helps and gets you going. If the battery disconnect solenoid is bad you can bypass it for the time being.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You don't say how comfortable you are working around electricity but if it was me I would get out my trusty volt meter and open up the power transfer switch box to check for power entering the coach. At least once a year with the power disconnected you want to check all the connectors in the power transfer box anyway so now would be as good a time as any to tighten them.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

Thanks for the rely.

Not overly comfortable with electrical but asked my wife to get my multimeter any way while she was out. We are about 20 minutes from home. We wanted to try everything out before we take a trip.

The lights are not working inside. The water heater isn’t coming on. The battery disconnect switch is in the neutral position: I can press top or bottom with movement and it springs back to middle but nothing changes. There is no power going to the a/c thermostat in the salon. There is power going to the receptacles as power going to microwave clock and clock on the counter top toaster oven. I’m at a total loss. Not that good with electrical to begin with.

I haven’t tried to do anything in the electrical bay other than use a dog bone to try the 30 amp plug in the pedestal…same no power situation.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #5

If you have no power when plugged in and you had power when the generator was running most likely its the transfer switch as for the generator how much fuel do you have in the rig my generator quits at 1/3 of a tank if you have fuel does generator turn over or have fault codes
Old 07-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
What you're describing sounds like a 12 volt issue, not 120 volt. No power to the generator to start it, no power to 12 volt devices inside the RV.
Unplug from the pedestal and check the voltage on both house and chassis batteries.
If good then follow the house cables to see where power stops getting through.
My first thought, as stated above, is that the battery disconnect switch (aka salesman switch) has been bumped. That switch works by way of a solenoid, so that solenoid could have gone bad also.
I don't think you have a major problem, just a relatively minor one that you don't know (yet) how to track down. Just part of the learning curve of a new RV. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's 20 years old, so the list of what could fail ?...Is pretty long.

Transfer switch failures/faults are common. Ours was 3 months new and failed.

++++

You (or somebody) will isolate the problem and have an "Aha, there it is !!!" moment.
It's physics.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #8

And just a reminder to check the simple things first....so many times that’s what was causing the issue....switch in the wrong position, loose connection, broken wire...I’ve had very few ‘failures’ on our 24 yo rig....but many ‘slap your forehead’ moments! “Shoot! I forgot about that!!”

Good luck.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

I show just under 3/4 tank of fuel. I spoke to the dealer & his mechanic. They think the problem is the house batteries. The xantrx says 9.2 hours to run. ???

There are no lights inside. Tech thinks it is the house batteries too low. ??? I think there is enough power in them but I don’t know this system.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #10

What position is the salesman switch supposed to be in. Mine is a rocker switch that is in the middle position, I.e. the switch is neither pressed at the top or bottom.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #11

Please say where you are!
There just might be someone reading this that could drive over and give you a hand...

Mike
Old 07-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #12

How do I post a photo? Don’t see attachment other than to post url.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Please say where you are!
There just might be someone reading this that could drive over and give you a hand...

Mike
I’m at Magnolia Park near Apopka, FL.

2929 *Binion Rd, Apopka, FL 32703
Old 07-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomevansfl View Post
I’m at Magnolia Park near Apopka, FL.

2929 *Binion Rd, Apopka, FL 32703
I'm going to be down in Kissimmee next week, if you've still got issues then I could meet you mid week some time in the late afternoon. I'm sure you want/need to get up and running again before that, but PM me here if you want some help.

Tags
no power, power